Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front bumper

Dont know if anyone has ever look closely at there front bumper. I have had my ss for little over 30 days now. I took it in for service and asked them to ck the front bumper cause on the passenger side around the headlight its was pushed out and there was a gap. While I was there I walked the lot and compaired the other cobalts sitting on the lot and there was a few with the same problem. When I picked it up the body shop guy said there was nothing he could do. He said it is as if the bumper is to big and that is causing the problem said every cobalt has the problem to some degree. Any one elese have this issue?
Old 07-27-2006, 11:07 AM

Not me...
Old 07-27-2006, 11:12 AM

i do
Old 07-27-2006, 12:34 PM

Every Cobalt I've been close enough to look at here in AZ has that problem - mine worse than most it seems. It's just the way it's bolted on - a manufacturing defect that a dealership will not be able to fix. I would hope that they catch it and fix it on the '07s...doesn't Snobird have one? Ask him to take a peek at it.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:24 PM

The body shop guy I talked to said if enough people complain then GM will fix it. I dont know about any of you but I think GM needs to addresse the problem and come up with a fix. I think it makes my car look bad, not to mention a friend of the family has a cobalt and I was looking at it on his car and his bumper fits perfectly no large gaps around the headlights.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4drssmikekc
Dont know if anyone has ever look closely at there front bumper. I have had my ss for little over 30 days now. I took it in for service and asked them to ck the front bumper cause on the passenger side around the headlight its was pushed out and there was a gap. While I was there I walked the lot and compaired the other cobalts sitting on the lot and there was a few with the same problem. When I picked it up the body shop guy said there was nothing he could do. He said it is as if the bumper is to big and that is causing the problem said every cobalt has the problem to some degree. Any one elese have this issue?

If you search back through this forum I posted about the exact same thing. It took me a couple months of owning my SS to notice it, and the problem is is on most Cobalts. I talked to my dealer about it (I'm friends with the GM) and he found a bulletin about it. Apparently the impact guard behind the bumper has to be loosened and moved down 4-7 mm. I haven't had him do my car yet, I want their service dept to do another car first as a guinea pig. Nobody else has noticed and complained yet though so he's not fixing any.

I was at the dealership BSin with him last night and he said all he notices now on those cobalts are the headlights since I showed it to him. He said he even got his first '07 and it was the same way!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:25 AM

thanks for that info, might take that to the dealership.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:27 AM

yea ive noticed that the first time i looked at cobalts. mine is like that too.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:49 PM

Our LS is the same way. the driver side headlight has a proper amount of gap between it and the bumper, but on the passenger side, the bumper comes up and there is no gap at all. In fact the bumper lip covers a tiny bit of the headlight.

It's on my list to be fixed. I'd be sorely disappointed if the 07's came that way too. After 3 years some of this **** should have been fixed by now. It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in GM's ability to fix these issues, especially after they said they would not let this stuff go this long anymore.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:36 AM

My bumper is fine but i noticed on my brothers there is like a 1/4 of an inch gap too
Old 07-31-2006, 09:26 AM

Does everyone mean like....
http://noc1.net/cobalt/categories.php?cat_id=1?

Something I noticed a couple days ago.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:05 AM

yep pretty much like that, it seems some are worse than others. I refuse to think or accept that it cant be fixed. My friend as an 06 ls and his front bumper fits perfectly both side are identical and look good.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:24 PM

I must say mine has the same defect and I have seen it on other cars as well (on the lot and off the lot). I have an 06 SS n/a and if paying attention to it, it looks like crap. Other people do not notice it though unless they were really looking. sucks to have that type of defect that the dealerships can't/wont fix.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
mines alittle screwy too, but I'll have my bumper off friday so I'll fix it then.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:41 PM

Since its made out of plastic its allways going to be a problem. Once you start playing with it its almost impossible to get it right. I quit on mine a long time ago.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:54 PM

I've got the same problem, actually just noticed it on the weekend while washing my car. I checked and found this preliminary informaion bulletin from GM today:

Subject: Gaps in the Front Fascia to Right Headlamp Assembly - keywords bar beam bracket bumper head impact lamp left #PIC3985A - (07/28/2006)

Models: 2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

2007 Pontiac G5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI has been revised to add additional models and years. Please discard PIC3985.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A condition has been identified that there may be an excessive gap between the right headlight assembly and the front Fascia. This condition can be caused by the front bumper beam that was mounted to high.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Please remove the front fascia (Doc # 1552448) and loosen the 4 bumper beam attachment bolts. Then lower the front bumper beam 4-7 mm then re-tighten the 4 bolts to. 30 Nˇm (22 lb ft) After tightening the bumper beam reinstall the front Fascia and recheck for proper fit at the headlight assembly.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Exigen
Does everyone mean like....
http://noc1.net/cobalt/categories.php?cat_id=1?

Something I noticed a couple days ago.

Yeah pretty much except our driver's side headlight/bumper is gapped better than on that one. It holds the uniform gapping between the doors/body, etc. It's just the passenger side that's just like that.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:27 PM

i noticed it on the first day. I just ignored it cuz it looks like it sitting on the right spot. I just thought i got what i paid for. at least its fast.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:28 PM

I'll try to add some pic's of ours when I get a chance in the next few days. that way if the service writer gives me any problems I can just direct him to this thread. hehe. If we all have pictures, it'll be hard for him to say it was caused by an accident. (which it wasn't, but I believe other people had their service writers claim that).

I also want to take pictures of the cup handles for the doors where the fabric has pulled away, and a few other things and post them to the appropriate threads... So any new comers can see what we're talking about.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:31 PM

i dunno if id want them to take off the facia, it looks like once its off it will never fit right again??
Old 07-31-2006, 11:33 PM

i have the same prob..nothing u can do tho..my dad is the chevrolet body shop manager where i live..they have torn it apart and looked for nething they could do..i will load pics so u can show ur gm dealer ur not the only one with this prob
Old 08-01-2006, 09:43 AM

baker20altus did you try the fix that was posted here on this tread?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 4drssmikekc
baker20altus did you try the fix that was posted here on this tread?
no i have not yet tried that fix..i spoke with my dad late last night about this.he wasnt sure if it would work but we are going to pull it back into the shop this week and see what we can do...has neone else tried this fix?..and if so did it turn out any better?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:36 AM

I have to take my car back to the shop once they get my new door panel in, Ill talk to the body shop guy then so I wont know anything for a while.

anyone that gets it fixed I would like to hear about it and know how it went and what was done to fix it.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by bowtie_ss
I've got the same problem, actually just noticed it on the weekend while washing my car. I checked and found this preliminary informaion bulletin from GM today:

Subject: Gaps in the Front Fascia to Right Headlamp Assembly - keywords bar beam bracket bumper head impact lamp left #PIC3985A - (07/28/2006)

Models: 2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

2007 Pontiac G5
This PI has been revised to add additional models and years. Please discard PIC3985.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A condition has been identified that there may be an excessive gap between the right headlight assembly and the front Fascia. This condition can be caused by the front bumper beam that was mounted to high.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Please remove the front fascia (Doc # 1552448) and loosen the 4 bumper beam attachment bolts. Then lower the front bumper beam 4-7 mm then re-tighten the 4 bolts to. 30 Nˇm (22 lb ft) After tightening the bumper beam reinstall the front Fascia and recheck for proper fit at the headlight assembly.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

That's the bulletin I was talking about in my previous post. It makes perfect sense since it actually looks like the fascia is buckled from being installed too high. I'm going to take mine in at some point but I just want my dealership to fix a different one first so they have some practice

Quick Reply: front bumper