Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Maintenance (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/)
-   -   High Idle Above 5mph (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/high-idle-above-5mph-326944/)

BOMEXCOBALT 10-09-2018 01:18 AM

High Idle Above 5mph

For awhile now I’ve been absolutely stumped that my cars idle will jump up over normal idle, sometimes to 2 k and do whatever it wants, until I get at or below 6-7 mph, then suddenly it listens to me and idles perfect. Check engine light on and it reads a code about the down stream O2 sensor that I do not have installed. Long tube headers and cold air intake and larger exhaust with no tune. I’ve cleaned out the throttle body, replaced the upstream 02 sensor, cleaned the MAFS with no fix. Car just does what it wants when I push in the clutch or when I’m in neutral as long as I’m over that magical 6 or 7 mph and it’s pissing me off.

Any my thoughts guys?

BOMEXCOBALT 10-09-2018 01:33 AM

My tuner hooked his laptop to it while driving and it read the throttle position opened 20-25% at times my foot was no longer on the throttle. But what blows my mind is the exact mph the car reaches that fixes the high rpm 100% consistently. It makes no sense to me.

jdbaugh1 10-09-2018 08:01 AM

Which version of the Cobalt do you have? I know I have experienced the phenomenon you describe and in my case it had to do with the tune. I guess it is a side effect of a function designed to improve gas mileage and that is why it is dependent on ground speed. If your case, with no tune, I don't know what could cause that. Potentially has something to do with installing a CAI without a calibration though I can't say for sure. Downstream o2 shouldn't effect the way your car runs, is that the only code?

Sharkey 10-09-2018 02:00 PM

on an ss/sc, thats normal. the ecm is programmed to increase the engine idle just after you start moving, and decrease it as your rolling to a stop. this is done to help smooth the car out in slow speed situations (in traffic) where your at idle with the clutch out in gear. this same feature also stops the throttle body from closing to normal idle when you shift, helping to give a smoother shift.

BOMEXCOBALT 10-09-2018 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 (Post 7700100)
Which version of the Cobalt do you have? I know I have experienced the phenomenon you describe and in my case it had to do with the tune. I guess it is a side effect of a function designed to improve gas mileage and that is why it is dependent on ground speed. If your case, with no tune, I don't know what could cause that. Potentially has something to do with installing a CAI without a calibration though I can't say for sure. Downstream o2 shouldn't effect the way your car runs, is that the only code?

only the code for the down stream O2 sensors. Witch doesn’t bother me because I know the O2 downstream is mainly monitoring the cats performance.

BOMEXCOBALT 10-09-2018 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey (Post 7700147)
on an ss/sc, thats normal. the ecm is programmed to increase the engine idle just after you start moving, and decrease it as your rolling to a stop. this is done to help smooth the car out in slow speed situations (in traffic) where your at idle with the clutch out in gear. this same feature also stops the throttle body from closing to normal idle when you shift, helping to give a smoother shift.

Well, if that’s so, can it be tuned out? Just curious because it’s so high idle when I down shift the car wants to keep running that speed. I hear a ton of header pop, witch sounds great, but I can hear the car start to decelerate then the ecu starts adding more fuel so it stops deceleration, then the rule is cut and you hear header pop again etc.. it’s just the most annoying feature if it is indeed a feature. Anyone else have experience with this and is it tuneable?

BOMEXCOBALT 10-09-2018 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 (Post 7700100)

Its an 06 SS/SC to answer your question brother

Sharkey 10-09-2018 08:09 PM

you cant tune that feature out of our ecm, hp tuners never unlocked those things in the coding. other gm computers have the settings for it that can be adjusted.

is your car tuned? you can change the decel fuel cutoff settings.

BOMEXCOBALT 10-09-2018 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey (Post 7700173)
you cant tune that feature out of our ecm, hp tuners never unlocked those things in the coding. other gm computers have the settings for it that can be adjusted.

My car is not tuned Starkey. I have an HP Tuner on standby waiting to here some advise from this form because he’s not sure how to approach this situation. He doesn’t do to many drive by wire cars so he’s lacking the experience in this cobalt realm. Do you think I have to go to a GM dealer to fix this problem or do you think trimming the decel fuel cut off with HP Tuner would fix the issue here?

BOMEXCOBALT 10-09-2018 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey (Post 7700173)

Is the decel full cut off available in HP Tuners for the cobalt? My concern is in most cases the throttle is shown at 20% even when my foot isn’t on the gas, and if we trim fule in those cases then I’m sacrificing accelerating performance and that not a good trade off. Thoughts 🤔