Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Miss at 2500-3k rpms

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miss at 2500-3k rpms

Hey guys, I'm new here, so Im not really sure if I'm posting in the right place. I recently bought a 2006 cobalt ss. 5 speed, header, downpipe, exhaust. All zzp. Also a CAI (not zzp, unknown brand). Am not 100% sure, but was told car has no tune. Now before I start with the issue, I would like to mention I have searched this site and Google over and over again for any answers for about 4 days now. Nothing has really pertained to my exact problem. 1st issue is that I have the p0171 code (system too lean) as most of you are probably well aware of. Also when driving, during light/medium throttle I get a miss/jump between 2500-3k rpms in 2nd and 3rd gear. Have not really experimented in 4th and 5th. Also I will add when in heavy throttle/load, the car has no issue with misfire or whatever this may be. I did run codes and no misfire codes were active or stored.

I'm not for sure, but am guessing that this miss and the p0171 code are related. The previous owner said he put plugs and coils in it, but am going to be putting the platinum a.c. Delco plugs in tomorrow and making sure gap is correct, just to be sure. Also I plan on hooking up my scan tool tomorrow and running some live data to see what I can find. Another thing I will add is that the CAI has duct tape wrapped around about where it goes through fender. So I'm guessing these is some type of hole or crack, but it seems to be sealed pretty good for now, whatever it may be. Have any of you guys experienced this same issue, if so what was it and what fixed your problem? If not, can you give me any direction on what to look for? I'm new to the chevy group, been a mopar guy.

Sorry for the long post. I tried to make it the shortest possible with the most info. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Did you just install the CAI? If you did without adjusting the tune you could have thrown off the MAF calibration and that is screwing with your fueling.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
Did you just install the CAI? If you did without adjusting the tune you could have thrown off the MAF calibration and that is screwing with your fueling.
No. The CAI was on the car when I bought it 4 days ago, and it doesn't look new by any means
Old 06-12-2017, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan Clayton
No. The CAI was on the car when I bought it 4 days ago, and it doesn't look new by any means
But the car has been running like this since you got it?
Old 06-12-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
But the car has been running like this since you got it?
yes. It has been running like that since I bought it. I understand some upgrades without a tune can cause problems. I used to have a subaru. But I just wanna make sure it's not an actual problem caused by something else before I just cover it up with a tune.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:40 AM

yes. It has been running like that since I bought it. I understand some upgrades without a tune can cause problems. I used to have a subaru. But I just wanna make sure it's not an actual problem caused by something else before I just cover it up with a tune.
If somebody knew what they are looking at with an OBDII scanner or datalog could probably tell in the MAF readings are different than would be expected.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
iirc that is about when the stock tune switches from VE to MAF. Don't have my tuning computer with me today to look at a stock file and verify that is the transition point (I'm also assuming the OP does actually have an LSJ/supercharged SS and not the LE5/NA SS)
Old 06-12-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Also duct tape around the intake as it goes through the fender could be just to help with rubbing, it doesn't indicate there is a leak. Although I would take a look because you never know what people do to cover up an issue.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:10 AM

Yes, it is the lsj sc engine. I replaced the filter for the cai and cleaned the hell outta my throttle body. It was pretty nasty. Cleared codes. Now I have no more lean code, and also the miss was gone. But I have that dang idle problem now. Do any of you know how to relearn the idle without having to take to the dealer? Nearest dealer is an hour away. I've tried driving it, cycling the motor, then let run a few minutes, then turn off and do it again stuff. Nothing has worked so far. Anybody had any luck with this issue?
Old 06-22-2017, 07:18 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Yes, it is the lsj sc engine. I replaced the filter for the cai and cleaned the hell outta my throttle body. It was pretty nasty. Cleared codes. Now I have no more lean code, and also the miss was gone. But I have that dang idle problem now. Do any of you know how to relearn the idle without having to take to the dealer? Nearest dealer is an hour away. I've tried driving it, cycling the motor, then let run a few minutes, then turn off and do it again stuff. Nothing has worked so far. Anybody had any luck with this issue?
Did you move the throttle body while cleaning it? If so you ruined it and it needs to be replaced. Some people have had them start working again but more often then not it's junk.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by cluelessk
Did you move the throttle body while cleaning it? If so you ruined it and it needs to be replaced. Some people have had them start working again but more often then not it's junk.
It's weird that this happens because when my MAP sensor screwed up I thought something was wrong with the throttle body. Figuring I couldn't hurt anything because it was already screwed up I manually moved the butterfly valve with my hand back and forth many times. When I finally fixed my MAP sensor I discovered I didn't do any harm to the TB. I wonder what happens to other people's when they have moved theirs because it definitely is not something that happens every time.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:17 PM

Hey guys, I'm new here, so Im not really sure if I'm posting in the right place. I recently bought a 2006 cobalt ss. 5 speed, header, downpipe, exhaust. All zzp. Also a CAI (not zzp, unknown brand). Am not 100% sure, but was told car has no tune. Now before I start with the issue, I would like to mention I have searched this site and Google over and over again for any answers for about 4 days now. Nothing has really pertained to my exact problem. 1st issue is that I have the p0171 code (system too lean) as most of you are probably well aware of. Also when driving, during light/medium throttle I get a miss/jump between 2500-3k rpms in 2nd and 3rd gear. Have not really experimented in 4th and 5th. Also I will add when in heavy throttle/load, the car has no issue with misfire or whatever this may be. I did run codes and no misfire codes were active or stored.

I'm not for sure, but am guessing that this miss and the p0171 code are related. The previous owner said he put plugs and coils in it, but am going to be putting the platinum a.c. Delco plugs in tomorrow and making sure gap is correct, just to be sure. Also I plan on hooking up my scan tool tomorrow and running some live data to see what I can find. Another thing I will add is that the CAI has duct tape wrapped around about where it goes through fender. So I'm guessing these is some type of hole or crack, but it seems to be sealed pretty good for now, whatever it may be. Have any of you guys experienced this same issue, if so what was it and what fixed your problem? If not, can you give me any direction on what to look for? I'm new to the chevy group, been a mopar guy.

Sorry for the long post. I tried to make it the shortest possible with the most info. Thanks in advance for any help.

Any luck yet?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:46 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Had the same issue. Cleaned my maf and it's gone.

Also order a Dry Flow filter. Sick of dealing with oil.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:00 PM

I have an HHR SS turbo and I know those are VERY sensible with plugs gaps. A little off and it's trouble