Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Maintenance (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/)
-   -   Is my Car High? P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/my-car-high-p0420-catalyst-system-efficiency-below-threshold-bank-1-a-112788/)

astrocrep 05-19-2008 11:55 AM

Is my Car High? P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

So I have been driving around on the setup below for probably about 1 year.
Over a month ago I get a CEL P0420 for the Cat. I cleared it and then about 2 weeks ago it came back. I cleared it again, and it came back 2 weeks later.

Im running stock headers, DP, and cat... I have the corsa cat back sport, and have been running it un touched for a while (maybe a year)

I have no performance issues, no loss in boost. I do get the ticking sound when my exhaust cools off. Got it from day one and it never went way... only ticks after some rough housing.

I haven't tapped in any extra o2 sensors.

What do you think... is my cat dieing as the CEL seems to be coming up more frequently?

Could it be the plugs? Or something else... perhaps time for a new fuel filter?

Thanks,
Rich

Drakonen2000 05-19-2008 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by astrocrep (Post 2348461)
So I have been driving around on the setup below for probably about 1 year.
Over a month ago I get a CEL P0420 for the Cat. I cleared it and then about 2 weeks ago it came back. I cleared it again, and it came back 2 weeks later.

Im running stock headers, DP, and cat... I have the corsa cat back sport, and have been running it un touched for a while (maybe a year)

I have no performance issues, no loss in boost. I do get the ticking sound when my exhaust cools off. Got it from day one and it never went way... only ticks after some rough housing.

I haven't tapped in any extra o2 sensors.

What do you think... is my cat dieing as the CEL seems to be coming up more frequently?

Could it be the plugs? Or something else... perhaps time for a new fuel filter?

Thanks,
Rich

i would say it is either your cat or a sensor somewhere

umrdyldo 05-19-2008 11:57 AM

usually that comes with an aftermarket DP,

maybe CEL is from 02 sensor going bad

JPizzle 05-19-2008 11:58 AM

Or your cat could have nothing in it (gutted)?

astrocrep 05-19-2008 12:00 PM

After sueing gm for warrenty issues... I was given a Major Gaurd extended warrenty to 90,500 miles.

Do you think I could try and get it fixed under warrenty?

Isn't Corsa GM brand stuff?

Thanks,
Rich

Sunburst_SS 05-19-2008 12:02 PM

p0420 is catalyst efficency.....most likley a bad cat.

astrocrep 05-19-2008 01:40 PM

Dare I ask how much a replacement would run?

Edit: Forgot to mention, the CEL only usually comes on when I am idling.

-Rich

Gettinausernamesucks 05-21-2008 07:20 PM

Just so you guys know octane booster kills cat's If your using it stop! Octane booster uses alot of phosporous which coats the cat element making it die or in the worst case it plugs the face of the cat thereby plugging the exhaust. I've seen it plenty of times and a GM engineer told me the same thing.

raygnarles 01-19-2010 05:54 PM

Hey guys im throwing this same code, and i looked under my car at the cat and there is a little pin hole in the cat. Do you think thats the reason its throwing the code? Thanks

Hey guys im throwing this same code, and i looked under my car at the cat and there is a little pin hole in the cat. Do you think thats the reason its throwing the code? I just bought the car (used) and I highly doubt there is an aftermarket exhaust on it. Thanks

umrdyldo 01-19-2010 05:59 PM

Well if there is a pin hole exhaust you should feel a lot of hot air coming out when the car is on.

raygnarles 01-19-2010 06:33 PM

I take that back its not my cat its my resonator and ill have to check if its blowing air out, but would that still make that code go off?