Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Maintenance (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/)
-   -   Needle in a haystack (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/needle-haystack-326567/)

Chuckkr 07-12-2018 05:20 PM

Needle in a haystack

Looking for needle in haystack.....first post....hey guys, don't ask me how, but my daughter managed to rip the wires from to clutch pedal switch right out of the wire harness pack. The 2 wires are solid pink and solid yellow. So the car is dead....can always push start but this isn't practical. I have the switch and about 8 inches of wire, the wires show that they were torn by pulling. Can anyone help narrow down which harness they came from so I can look for the remaining wires? Where do they terminate...ignition switch? BCM?

Have scoured google and forums for wiring diagrams with little luck. Right now front seat is out, lower dash is removed as is the ignition switch cover...several wire packs under there, nothing sticking out....need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks

RED 2005 SS/SC

63 Nova SS 07-13-2018 06:01 AM

Nice job hgt

Chuckkr 07-13-2018 03:57 PM

That's what I mean about the interweb being a wonderful thing.....HGT your info is spot on and will help greatly. All I have to do now is wait for it to cool down. Its been brutally hot all week. Right now 31C (83F) really don't feel like laying on my back in a hot car. Ironically in 6 months it will be -31C (-25F) Will let you know how I make out. Thanks again HGT

exninja 07-13-2018 04:15 PM

83°F sounds wonderful right now

cluelessk 07-13-2018 11:24 PM

It's a super humid heat here, 50% tomorrow. Anything beyond standing still in the shade and you're drenched in sweat.

It also reaches below -40C (-40F) in the Winter. It's warm for us.

Dutchman 07-15-2018 12:22 PM

That's our weather for ya, much the same in ON my friend

Chuckkr 07-16-2018 04:48 PM

Well some progress, but no success. Spent 4 hours on it today, many on my back under the dash, you know how much fun that is. Did not find the wires. Did try the relay jumper trick and yes the car starts and runs. Decided to go underhood to the fuse box. Removed fuse/relay side of fuse box. Found the harness that feeds the crank relay, yes it is a yellow wire that feeds the relay. Followed that wirepack to the firewall, but couldn't trace it inside the car....too cramped. Relented and tried a semi bubba fix..ie: tap into the yellow relay wire at the fuse box before the relay, give it 12V and it should engage the starter...no dice. Tried with ign switch off, and in run, no starter engagement. Tried 12V from the fuse box, and direct from the battery. What is interesting is when give jumper 12V the headlights come on, but they don't come on when using the relay jumper to get the car running.

Thinking now that the ignition switch plays an important role in supplying a signal to the starter relay, and other circuits when in start position. Semi resigned to spending more time under the dash to trackdown the elusive wires.

HGT..1) any chance you can post the ign switch schematic? 2) the schematic posted shows the switch getting 12V from the BCM (under center of dash) should I be looking for the pink there? I know the yellow is more important, but finding 12V in start isn't that easy. Most 12V circuits are disabled when ing. switch in start position. Your interest and help is REALLY appreciated.

Chuckkr 07-17-2018 07:38 PM

Thanks HGT, after the hours working on it and the various different attempts I don't think I actually tried that one. Although I may have and determined I needed to find a 12v that is live in crank. Will try supplying 12v direct from battery and turning ign to start...if it starts I'm on my way...if not ???

Chuckkr 07-21-2018 08:32 PM

FOUND IT ! After about 13 hours (over several days), looking everywhere, unraveling so many wire packs, who would have thought that there would be a harness tucked above the amp. Figured looked everywhere else why not pull out the amp. The joy I felt when I spied that little yellow wire, and then felt around and found the pink was unbelieveable. I managed to pull the yellow wire through the harness back to a spot near the ignition switch, l couldn't get the pink though. I wired the yellow into the 12v accessory in the console, and it started! Put everything back together and all is good. I really hope nobody else has to do this, but then we all know that electrical stuff is no fun. Patience is everything. Thanks to HGT for his help.

cluelessk 07-21-2018 08:42 PM

good to hear.

saved a ton doing it yourself.