Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Power Steering Issues After I Did the Recall...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Issues After I Did the Recall...

So after I got my power steering motor replaced which to me seemed fine anyway but I did it, but now it feels like my power steering doesn't work..? When I make a right or left hand turn it have to get the steering wheel back rather then it coming back on its own. Any of you run into this problem? Easier way for me to tell if my power steering motor is out? I suppose I'll take it back to the dealership if no one knows, Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:55 PM

He seems like its almost stuck at times and then frees up and then gets snagged again? steering shaft possibly?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
This makes me even more nervous about bringing my balt in for the ignition and power steering recall. Dealerships are so incredibly ignorant about these cars. I went to get tranny fluid today and I tell the parts guy it's for a 2010 Cobalt SS. First he asks me if it's a manual or automatic.....I responded by repeating: "It's a 2010 SS. It's an manual". Then he proceeds to ask me : "2.0 or 2.2?" smh
Old 04-12-2014, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by colodude18
This makes me even more nervous about bringing my balt in for the ignition and power steering recall. Dealerships are so incredibly ignorant about these cars. I went to get tranny fluid today and I tell the parts guy it's for a 2010 Cobalt SS. First he asks me if it's a manual or automatic.....I responded by repeating: "It's a 2010 SS. It's an manual". Then he proceeds to ask me : "2.0 or 2.2?" smh
LMAO that's too funny. Yah my car was perfectly fine until after I got the new steering motor installed. Wondering if bad fuse or something? Like it has been maybe 7 months since I got it installed... it's such a pain in the ass at times, well more of an annoyance then anything..
Old 04-12-2014, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know dealers, garages, and parts stores see all types of makes and models, but one thing I've always expected is the clerk should always know something about cars, even if it's just the basics. I shouldn't have to argue with a clerk who's arguing with me about the computer being right. I don't trust anyone to get me the right washer fluid at most places.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:41 AM

You act like they know exactly what's in the cars? The parts people don't work on them you tard
Old 04-12-2014, 10:16 AM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by MP Cobalt
You act like they know exactly what's in the cars? The parts people don't work on them you tard
Hey it looks like we may have ourselves a parts clerk here lol

You don't have to "work" on cars to know simple things. If you work at a Chevy dealership (they don't even sell other GM brands!) it should be your business to know which engines go in which models. I guess if someone orders parts for a new Camaro SS, it's OK for him to ask whether it's the 6 or 8 cylinder too huh?
Old 04-13-2014, 05:34 AM
Banned

Hey it looks like we may have ourselves a parts clerk here lol

You don't have to "work" on cars to know simple things. If you work at a Chevy dealership (they don't even sell other GM brands!) it should be your business to know which engines go in which models. I guess if someone orders parts for a new Camaro SS, it's OK for him to ask whether it's the 6 or 8 cylinder too huh?
In the defense of the parts guy; he probably doesn't get too many part inquiries for Cobalt SS's. Not exactly the most common car. A Camaro SS is way more common than a Cobalt SS. He is probably just following whatever drop down boxes that are on his search screen. A lot salesman couldn't even tell you what type of motor is in a car on their lot.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by 08SilverSurferBalt
In the defense of the parts guy; he probably doesn't get too many part inquiries for Cobalt SS's. Not exactly the most common car. A Camaro SS is way more common than a Cobalt SS. He is probably just following whatever drop down boxes that are on his search screen. A lot salesman couldn't even tell you what type of motor is in a car on their lot.
So anyone else having any issues with their steering motors?
Old 05-10-2014, 06:09 PM

I have a similar issue. If you make a turn more than 45 degrees or so the steering wheel will not return to center unless I move it myself. It's very frustrating and frankly unsafe. I also hear a bit of a whurring sound that increases in volume and pitch according to my speed. Anyone have any insight here? I want to fix this as soon as possible. My guess is power steering motor or steering rack
Old 05-11-2014, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltNCamaro
I have a similar issue. If you make a turn more than 45 degrees or so the steering wheel will not return to center unless I move it myself. It's very frustrating and frankly unsafe. I also hear a bit of a whurring sound that increases in volume and pitch according to my speed. Anyone have any insight here? I want to fix this as soon as possible. My guess is power steering motor or steering rack
yea same thing for me accept I can't hear due to my exhaust being stupidly loud.. I am waiting for my clamp to come in for my new exhaust and I'm taking it in after that for ignition coil and having them change that power steering. I had no issues at all with my old one and now they swap it and it goes to crap.. I'll update you on what I find.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:15 PM

Ignition* not ignition coil lol. Phone auto corrected.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:29 AM

Hello Everyone,

I apologize that some of you are experiencing some issues after getting your power steering motor replaced. Please reach out to us via PM with your questions or concerns. We would be happy to help the best we can!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-12-2014, 01:17 PM

This actually make you look a little funny to him.

Cobalt SS models come in three classes

Cobalt SS (base) with the 2.2 or 2.4 depending on package. Also can be a manual or auto.

Cobalt SS Supercharged. 2.0 supercharges with 2 manual options depending on LSD.

Cobalt SS Turbo. 2.0 turbo with 1 manual option.

but back to the OP.

mine went out and had the recall done to it. The steering felt totally different after that. It centers but barely and also has issues with assisting when under WOT from a standing turn.

but other then that it seems ok.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
I did my steering recall but I never had any problems with it now it'll just out and I get a power steering message on my dash so I turn off the engine and bomb start it and then I get my steering back until it randomly happens again
Old 05-12-2014, 04:07 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by reddragon72

Cobalt SS (base) with the 2.2 or 2.4 depending on package. Also can be a manual or auto.

Cobalt SS Supercharged. 2.0 supercharges with 2 manual options depending on LSD.

There was NEVER a SS 2.2l, what are you smoking? In 2010 the only SS was the 2.0l turbocharged, even the 2.4l had changed to the sport model.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by reddragon72

but back to the OP.

mine went out and had the recall done to it. The steering felt totally different after that. It centers but barely and also has issues with assisting when under WOT from a standing turn.

but other then that it seems ok.
Yeh there was never a 2.2 SS, the only SS/NA that was ever available was between 06-07 and that was the 2.4 LE5, then it was changed to the cobalt sport in 08+, 2.2 was only available on "base" models.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc
Hello Everyone,

I apologize that some of you are experiencing some issues after getting your power steering motor replaced. Please reach out to us via PM with your questions or concerns. We would be happy to help the best we can!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

We do our own work here, GM cannot seem to get it right. With anything. Don't even let me get started with how gm failed me with my engine install.. destroyed my entire front end suspension from half tightened bolts from the sub frame to the strut towers. Losers.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:50 PM

The only thing keeping me from molotov cocktail bombing my ******* car is my fiance.. Once I kill her, the car is next!!!

kidding lol
Old 05-12-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc
Hello Everyone,

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
I've brought my car in they couldn't figure it out so I have to bring it in again now.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:13 PM

Name:  425-161-007_zps34ac1a03.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  45.8 KB
Have any of you looked at the intermediate shaft?
The u joints and slip joint starts to bind and the resistance prevents the steering from self centering. I sprayed mine with pb blaster to free them up and then lubed them and my steering has been fine for about a year and a half. Starting to feel some play in my steering now so I am just going to replace it.
Give it a try. It's almost free.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by sLAsh

The u joints and slip joint starts to bind and the resistance prevents the steering from self centering. I sprayed mine with pb blaster to free them up and then lubed them and my steering has been fine for about a year and a half. Starting to feel some play in my steering now so I am just going to replace it.
very good point I will check this out but this literally started right after they put my new power steering motor in. But, you never know thanks for the heads up
Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll add in that then you have people like me that confuse them by having a base that looks like an SS.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:52 PM

Did the steering recall a bit over a year ago now already it's broken now i have to pay to get it fixed. Not happy!
Old 06-18-2014, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by sLAsh