Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

help with code

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with code

2007 LS base model. MIL light came on a month ago. Code was P0446 which lists as "evap emission control system vent circuit malfunction". I reset the code and drove around for a month. Today the light came on again with the same code. The only thing that I have noticed with the car that seemed odd is that the last 2 times that I filled up, the gas nozzle kept clicking off....the gas flow had to be restarted about 3 times.

So, given that, what is the culprit part, how easy is it to get at and replace, and does anyone have one of those nifty diagrams that they could post showing me what I'm looking for? Much thanks - appreciate the help.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:25 PM

If I can look into warranty/recall information on your vehicle, please private message me with more information (including the last 8 of your VIN)!
Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 11-10-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Evap Purge selenoid or vent valve selenoid

They are known pieces of crap on Chevy cars and trucks.

Last edited by umrdyldo; 11-10-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:03 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Evap Purge selenoid or vent valve selenoid
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:16 AM
GMS

Pull off the vent pipe from the EVAP canister, it runs into the wheel well by the filler neck. Its full of dirt, pull the pipe off the car and flush it out and reinstall, clear code and try putting gas in the car again.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 PM

Okay, the evap vent solenoid is the doohicky on the rear side of the canister by the fuel tank, right? how does that detach after removing the cable? does the whole piece unscrew; or push in and quarter turn then pull out; or is it attached in another way? can't really see it well enough when laying under the car, but should be easy to remove if its a push and turn kind of thing (didn't want to put any force on it and possibly crack it until i found out the proper way).

where is the purge solenoid located exactly? under the hood i believe, but i have no idea where. this is a base 2007 LS if it varies by model/year.

also thanks for the idea about the vent pipe....i want to take a look at all 3 possibilities over the weekend and see if i can fix it myself rather than bringing it in for service (i wouldn't even care, but it's due for inspection in another 3 months, so i gotta fix it one way or another).
Old 11-12-2011, 02:10 PM

follow-up...

I detached the vent pipe from the canister. Both the pipe and the connector on the canister looked clean. Couldn't see how the pipe was connected up behind the filler neck, so I tried just blowing into the pipe...didn't seem to be any obstruction, I could easily blow (and suck) air through it. I blew some compressed air into the connector on the canister also.

Next I removed both the vent solenoid and the purge solenoid (I'm pretty sure I got the right part for the purge solenoid....I did a net search and found a diagram someone had posted a while ago). I have a little transformer that outputs voltage at an adjustable rate from 3 volts to 9 volts. I believe the solenoids here usually operate at 12V (the purge had 12V stamped on it). In any case, I tried applying 9V to each one, and both responded as you'd expect. On the purge I also tried blowing through it, and verified that air flow was open/closed depending on whether electric was on or off. Can't do that with the vent, but everything appeared clean and in good shape on it.

Okay, so.....given that the vent pipe appears to be unobstructed, and both solenoids seem to respond correctly when voltage is applied, does anyone have any other ideas? I also plugged/unplugged the cable connections to both solenoids multiple times, and wiggled the wires going into plug. Will have to wait until I drive it a while to see if the problem is still there or if it has magically disappeared after fiddling with things. But if it does return.....any other ideas as to what could cause it? Only thing that I can think of is a break in the wiring itself somewhere, but I have no idea how to check that, since I don't know where those wires run to.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes those pumps kicking out during fill up is a problem with the setting in the nozzle.I was told this pressure setting is adjustable.
So don't go to town on the car for something that happens once and try a different pump next time.