Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Shifter linkage keeps popping off...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 01:55 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter linkage keeps popping off...

I thought it was from using NLS at the track tonight going from 2-3 but now anytime there is any stress on the shifter going into a gear, the linkage pops off. There is no retainer clip or anything on this piece, its just a plastic cup that pops onto a small ball piece. I tried to put a ziptie around it all and failed. Anyone have this issue and have a quick fix? Otherwise I have to drive it like granny and shift s u p e r s l o w!

After looking thru some install pics, I think Im going to try and drill thru the center of the ball and the cup piece, then use a screw thru both to hold them together. It should still be able to turn and pivot the little bit that it needs. Thoughts?

Last edited by BYT*SS*TURBO; 11-21-2009 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Former Vendor

Fixed it, Ill post a pic of the broken piece in the morning. The bolt idea worked well. I used a 6/32 bolt with nylock nuts and fender washers. Then left it a hair loose so it could still maneuver around. Works like a champ! Shifter actually feels more solid now too
Old 11-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Nal

the dealer called today and told me they installed, a new shifter assembly on mine, so hopefully I won't get embarassed when leaving a light anymore, lol, just take it in, and they'll replace it for free, just make sure you talk to them first just in case they try to charge u for drilling on ****, lol
Old 11-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Former Vendor

I was able to work it back into shape but I didn't feel confident it would hold for the long run...Being as the car is 6 months old with 20K on the odo...

The bolt thing works like a champ. Took me 20 minutes to do the whole job, including removing the shifter and linkage piece. You dont need to disassemble the shifter, just unscrew the 4 bolts on the cover, unclip the linkage and slide it out. Very simple to do! I put a bolt thru and tightened it just enough to keep the piece from popping back off. It actually feels a LOT more solid now, Im happy this happened

(the linkage on the left, all the way in the back you can see the small bolt)
Old 11-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Nal

I got my **** today, and it feels like a civic, lol, I guess my shifter's been broken since new, I kinda enjoyed the roughness from before, but I guess I'll get used to the smooth shifting, lol
Old 12-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Former Vendor

If anyone else runs into this issue, I bought just the linkage adapter pieces alone from a guy that parts out cars on Ebay. They were $20 shipped!! The dealer will rape you for a whole shifter assembly to buy just those pieces.

Morad Parts on Ebay for the Linkage pieces
Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM

How is this working out? Still going strong? I think i'm gonna try and do this.

I broke one and got it warratied (my buddy is a tech). He said I may have just gotten a weak one from the factory at frist, but I would still like to do this for piece of mind!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 AM

what did you have to do?

I had my shifter cable snap on me two days after the car rolled in from the factory! Talk about being angry!!! The dealer fixed it that time, but I notice that now the car is shifting rather rough. Could this be the same deal? How can I get the dealer to fix it? They basically said if it isn't snapped it's not broke. :s
Old 01-07-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by chickie_online
I had my shifter cable snap on me two days after the car rolled in from the factory! Talk about being angry!!! The dealer fixed it that time, but I notice that now the car is shifting rather rough. Could this be the same deal? How can I get the dealer to fix it? They basically said if it isn't snapped it's not broke. :s
Snap it then lol!!!! Just do a very harddddd 2-3 shift and boommm!

No but it could be that along with other things. If they fixed it, and you havent been doing hard shifting it could be the sign of other things
Old 02-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Ion
Banned

i just installed my TWM and it feels so loose. In misreading the line about removing a plastic wrap, I cut the black piece that connects the shifter to the cable...the top picture in the above post. Its not broken, but I wonder if that loosened it a bit. It just feels like the ball wants to come up out of the shift asembly.

Update:
Pulled the whole thing apart after work tonight. Apparently, there are two rings I didn't know needed to be swapped. I found one on my floorboards and the other where I made cuts for my TWM shifter. After cursing at the whole thing for a couple hours trying to snap those crazy adjusters back together, it is back together and...WOW. The difference is night and day. If you have 3 hours and 100 bucks to dedicate, that is a great switchout.

Last edited by Ion; 02-20-2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Fixed it
Old 08-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Bannned

Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO
i just did this today! so gay. i had small springs and **** coming out of mine
Old 08-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Springs? I did this about a year ago and had no problems. Been great ever since, knock on wood!
Old 10-07-2014, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO

I was able to work it back into shape but I didn't feel confident it would hold for the long run...Being as the car is 6 months old with 20K on the odo...

The bolt thing works like a champ. Took me 20 minutes to do the whole job, including removing the shifter and linkage piece. You dont need to disassemble the shifter, just unscrew the 4 bolts on the cover, unclip the linkage and slide it out. Very simple to do! I put a bolt thru and tightened it just enough to keep the piece from popping back off. It actually feels a LOT more solid now, Im happy this happened

(the linkage on the left, all the way in the back you can see the small bolt)

Having the same problem, what did you drill thru and where did you put the bolt at?
Old 08-31-2015, 01:30 AM

how??

How are you guys even getting the ball to go back into it. It's such a tight fit that I can't get it back on. My clip broke as well so I was going to just zip tie it locked for the time being...that's if I can get the ball to snap into it first...
Old 08-31-2015, 03:37 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
omg why did you revive this????
Old 01-09-2017, 11:22 AM

This just happened to me on Friday