Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

The shifter wont grab the gear. PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The shifter wont grab the gear. PLEASE HELP!

I got in my car after school and decided to go to the car wash because it was a nice day. Im done with the car wash and i start to drive my car and the shifter felt like 2nd gear was way further down then it actually was. (i have had this problem before and the dealer fixed it) Heres the messed up part my car use to have a b&m short throw and they fixed the car with no problem. They took that shifter out and put the stock shifter and everything back in. Now the problem that has happened before happened 6 months later so it obviously wasnt the b&m. My dealer said they would not cover it under warranty because the car had a b&m in it before and they fixed it that time. Now it has a gm shifter and now they wont cover it thats just totally wrong in my eyes because its obviously not the shifter that caused the problem. The shifter feels like its ten times looser and feels like the shift linkage is messed up. im serious it feels like the ball isnt in its place and you can just rip the shifter out of the car. It just moves freely not grabbing a gear. But dont you guys seriously think that this should be covered under warranty because it obviously wasnt a aftermarket short throw that the problem is something else. Please im going to print this up and give it to my dealer showing them what i think and the people of cobaltss.net think. They fought with me about it and i just dont see how this problem is from the aftermarket shifter that a certified gm mechanic put gm parts in my car and it still does it. HOW IS THIS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY BECAUSE I HAVE HAD THE STOCK SHIFTER IN FOR SIX MONTHS! I really think the shift linkage is just messed up but i kno my dealer is going to say its something so much worse. I WILL NEVER BUY A CHEVY AGAIN!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:43 PM

I had that happen on my SS/SC.
I tore the console apart, and had to reconnect the shifter to what I guess was the gear arm?
It was a plastic clip that had popped off.
I re-connected it, reassembled the console and was on my way.
Took maybe 15 minutes to do.
The lucky part was getting the clip as it had fallen into the assembly somewhat.

Good luck, I hope you can get it taken care of.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by chipsgt
I had that happen on my SS/SC.
I tore the console apart, and had to reconnect the shifter to what I guess was the gear arm?
It was a plastic clip that had popped off.
I re-connected it, reassembled the console and was on my way.
Took maybe 15 minutes to do.
The lucky part was getting the clip as it had fallen into the assembly somewhat.

Good luck, I hope you can get it taken care of.
Thanks i will see but dont you think its messed up how they wont cover this car under warranty! i understand it had a b&m sts BUT THING IS IT HAD AND NOW IT DOESNT AND THEY WONT COVER IT NOW.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:48 PM

I will agree with that.
You currently have dealer installed parts. They should unquestionably cover it.
However, it would also not surprise me if the dealer voided the warranty on parts of your tranny due to unapproved aftermarket parts.
I would honestly take it to another dealership and make no mention of it happening before.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by chipsgt
I will agree with that.
You currently have dealer installed parts. They should unquestionably cover it.
However, it would also not surprise me if the dealer voided the warranty on parts of your tranny due to unapproved aftermarket parts.
I would honestly take it to another dealership and make no mention of it happening before.
BUT THE THING IS THAT IT HAD AFTERMARKET PARTS AND WAS PUT BACK TO STOCK BY THE GM MECHANIC WHY ISNT HIS LABOR COVERED FOR HIM TURNING IT BACK TO STOCK. ITS LIKE SOMEONE GETTING A CAR AND SINCE A PROBLEM HAS HAPPENED BEFORE THEY WONT COVER IT BECAUSE IT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE. THE MECHANIC OBVIOUSLY FELT HE DID A GOOD ENOUGH JOB THAT IT WAS OK TO GO DOWN THE ROAD AGAIN. THERE MY DEALER THEY SHOULD COVER IT. sorry im just a little angry and you should join the SOM GANG!

wow so i call my mom and see if they called her and they said they cant find anything wrong with the car you literally have to be kidding me. The car will barely grab 2nd gear.

Last edited by 06CobaltssOrange; 03-04-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-04-2008, 02:12 PM

contact Jkennedy it sounds like what happened to his balt.. it turns out that his shifter actually broke in the transmission box or something like that...
Old 03-04-2008, 02:13 PM

Well they were real good about it the first time, being that is was probably due to the other shifter. You could try and take it to another dealer. Now that it is "stock" they may just adjust it under waranty.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:23 PM

yea but i just dont get it they reinstalled a stock warranting a stock and now wont warranty it?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 06CobaltssOrange
yea but i just dont get it they reinstalled a stock warranting a stock and now wont warranty it?
I pasted the following from a well known aftermarket performance parts manufacturers website:

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fraudulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

That being said it sounds like the shifter cable has come loose from the black plastic housing on the end of the cable. This black plastic housing has a cover that snaps on to secure the yellow plastic threaded part of the cable within it, if it comes unsnapped the cable will slide in and out and the shifter won't work properly, if at all. Check that the top white or grey cover is properly connected on that black "box" on the shifter cable.

I hope this helps,

Kevin
TWM Performance
Old 03-05-2008, 02:15 PM

they said a pin was sheered 278 bucks

car is fixed and it was a roll 10 pin that sheered they said they could of missed it fixing it before i told them that i was not paying for a pin when they didnt fix it that last time it was in. He said well there was labor i said idc about the labor and i told him i demanded the number to the chevy rep and that i will never buy a chevy again and immediately he said sir sir im sorry the writing on here says its covered HAHAHAHA EAT THAT STEALERSHIP!

Last edited by 06CobaltssOrange; 03-05-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost