Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Maintenance (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/)
-   -   Snapped passenger side motor mount bolt (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/snapped-passenger-side-motor-mount-bolt-327858/)

DeanSsspsh 06-11-2019 10:35 AM

Snapped passenger side motor mount bolt

So there i was installing my stage 2 trans mounts. I got everything in correctly & torqued to specifications. However, i was torqueing down my last nut on the engine mount to 74 lbs. & snap. My question is how do i fix this. From what I've gathered that bolt is a fixed bolt connected to a bracket on the side of the engine. Do i have to replace the bracket or just the bolt? Is this even replaceable or do i have to drill & tap? I would like to note that i was using a 12 inch extension & brand new harbor freight torque wrench that just wasn't clicking. The car feels Awesome with the stage 2 mount upgrade but am worried about this bolt. Thanks in advance. All knowledge is appreciated on the matter
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cob...7cf5ee250c.jpg

Slowbalt2000 06-11-2019 11:43 AM

Are you sure that tq spec isnt for the nuts that hold the mount to the frame? Seems kinda high. Either way, I ran 2/3 for a while and had no issues. Easiest way to fix it would be to get a new bracket piece that bolts to the block, or you could take it off and try to remove the bolt.

DeanSsspsh 06-11-2019 12:05 PM

Awesome. That's exactly what i needed to know! I will take the bracket off and see if i can remove/replace bolt. If not i will replace the bracket. Great to hear you had no issues with the 2/3. Thank you so much for your timely response. You the man!

Kolt 06-11-2019 02:49 PM

The three bolt that bolt the mount to the engine bracket are only torqued to 48fllbs, the two nuts that bolt the mount to the frame are 74ftlbs. The engine bracket bolts that bolt the bracket to the front of the engine are 74fllbs. All need to be clean and dry. Any oil will cause you to be over torqueing them at the factory spec since the spec is for clean/dry threads.

Slowbalt2000 06-11-2019 03:05 PM

So my intuition was correct, thanks Kolt.

DeanSsspsh 06-11-2019 06:24 PM

Right on Kolt. Thank you for taking the time to sort out the torque specs for me i really do appreciate it. I read that 74 lbs somewhere & assumed it was those top 3 on the passenger engine mount my fault for not double checking. So when i take off the engine mount to replace that bolt do i have to loosen up the Trans mounts & retorque?

DeanSsspsh 06-11-2019 07:00 PM

Right on Kolt. Thank you for taking the time to sort out the torque specs for me i really do appreciate it. I read that 74 lbs somewhere & assumed it was those top 3 on the passenger engine mount my fault for not double checking. So when i take off the engine mount to replace that bolt do i have to loosen up the Trans mounts & retorque?

steelmesh 06-12-2019 06:01 AM

DeanS, make sure you recalibrate the upper torque spectrum of your elbow for next time. For example yesterday we asked some techs to swap out an electronic wastegate actuator on prototype turbos. The techs came back to use with two concerns, #1 the 8mm socket was starting to round the nuts and found the 5/16" socket fits better, next they found the 8mm bolts were all super tight and both technicians felt they were going to snap the bolts off. We looked at it and my counter-part was desperate to get his test cell on-track (needing this actuator) so they gave him to ratchet and he slowly removed the bolts. I told the technicians I was impressed and that I was proud of them; half-jokingly but seriously inside I gave them points in my book.

The point is, these technicians have broken bolts before (and punished with removing them) and learned the "feeling" of when a bolt is being over-torqued. Not sure why the majority of people either do-not-understand or they outright disagree with this statement, a classic offline Steelmesh quote: "In general there is a direct relationship between torque and the diameter of the bolt". If you disagree please expose yourself (ie send nudes).

DeanSsspsh 06-12-2019 10:30 PM

I read this like 30 times & now it all makes sense. I down loaded the updated elbow to torque app & gained common sense which originally wasn't so common. Thank you for sharing your vision steel mesh. I can see clearly now:bow: