Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Maintenance (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/)
-   -   Steering rack or intermediate shaft problem? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/steering-rack-intermediate-shaft-problem-310251/)

Foximus 05-27-2014 04:48 PM

Steering rack or intermediate shaft problem?

So, I've hunted around and read a bunch of posts, and I think ive found what the other phantom noise is on my car.

Car has pulled to the left randomly for awhile now, and whenever you turn you hear a clunking noise. Steering response also just doesn't seem right. Its not horrible, its just.. varied i guess would be the best way to describe it.

Reading others posts it sounds like it might be the intermediate shaft going bad, but im wondering, since I have 172,000 miles on the car, if i swap that out, should i replace the steering rack as well?

Or has anyone else had these issues and found it to be something else?

andrewcarr1993 05-28-2014 11:44 AM

Same problem here, in for updates.

steveobed 05-28-2014 12:23 PM

Intermediate shaft! Mine does the same thing. I work at a service station and we get cobalts all the time that have a "clunking when turning" we replace the rack and they're back in a week because the noise is still there

Foximus 05-28-2014 02:57 PM

Good deal. Everything is leaning towards the shaft, didnt wanna replace the rack unless i had to. Time to call the shop, haha.

steveobed 05-28-2014 02:58 PM

The shaft is pretty easy to do yourself too.

Foximus 05-29-2014 04:52 PM

Yeah.. I see it on rock auto... getting a quote from my buddy tho, since he has a lift and more free time than I do, heh.

Foximus 06-03-2014 05:51 AM

Turns out the rack came loose. Again. -__- taking a good look at it on the list thursday. the 2 bolts keep backing out

BLKLS 06-04-2014 10:39 PM

Hmm... Maybe I should check mine.

ECaulk 06-04-2014 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Foximus (Post 7351998)
Turns out the rack came loose. Again. -__- taking a good look at it on the list thursday. the 2 bolts keep backing out

Maybe some mild thread locker or a locking/retentionwasher would prevent them from backing out again

Foximus 06-05-2014 04:47 AM

bolts are tight. rack is moving side to side..... going up on the lift in the AM,.

cobalt blue 06-05-2014 03:51 PM

I think I may have the same issue. When you take the steering wheel and go back and forth kind of rapidly i hear a clunking noise. Could that be the same issue as everyone else is discussing?

Foximus 06-05-2014 04:43 PM

Yea. Standing still, or at low speeds you would turn the wheel and hear a clunking noise. I also noticed my steering didnt always come back center. The nut in the subframe wasnt keeping torque (The bolts have been tightened 4 times since March) So we ran a larger bolt thru the rack, and the subframe and put a washer and locknut under the subframe to see if that solves it.

cobalt blue 06-09-2014 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Foximus (Post 7353832)
Yea. Standing still, or at low speeds you would turn the wheel and hear a clunking noise. I also noticed my steering didnt always come back center. The nut in the subframe wasnt keeping torque (The bolts have been tightened 4 times since March) So we ran a larger bolt thru the rack, and the subframe and put a washer and locknut under the subframe to see if that solves it.

So i guess I should check my rack to make sure its tight? So it is also possible that the intermediate shaft is worn as well? Ive had this noise for quite some time and just thuoght it was just the characteristics of the vehicle.

Foximus 06-09-2014 03:28 PM

Yes. I dont have the spec's off hand. but i would make sure your rack is torqued down properly first before going on to look at other things.

cobalt blue 06-09-2014 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Foximus (Post 7355437)
Yes. I dont have the spec's off hand. but i would make sure your rack is torqued down properly first before going on to look at other things.

Ok thanks for your help