Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Sunroof won't close!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Old 02-05-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine started going slow and making noises so I just closed it and pulled the fuse for the sunroof about 2 years ago. Problem solved.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:17 PM

Umm I was coming through Ga, and my friend was hanging out of my sunroof yelling at these girls we were beside lol and I guess where he was leaning on it it fucked something up, it pushed the passenger side track back and the drivers side stayed the same so it was shifted at an angle, and I had to force it back to close.. would this be the same problem?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moranjames89
, this is how you make a pb&j sandwich step by step..

1- heres how you would make the sandwich
2- there is 2 containers, one jelly, one peanut butter
3- clean up when your done

^ that's how helpful I thought your post.....
Exactly. Made ZERO sense to me.

Originally Posted by insylem
My engine doesn't have a sunroof
..?

Originally Posted by super06sport
Literally EXACTLY what is wrong with mine

Originally Posted by D_sean257
Umm I was coming through Ga, and my friend was hanging out of my sunroof yelling at these girls we were beside lol and I guess where he was leaning on it it fucked something up, it pushed the passenger side track back and the drivers side stayed the same so it was shifted at an angle, and I had to force it back to close.. would this be the same problem?
No that sounds a little different but that still sucks hard.

Mine is on track, the arm is not sliding though, so I have to manually push it, which also is keeping it from locking down correctly. If the sunroof is "closed" on the side that is broken, if I push it up, I can literally open the broken side. Which means the sliding/locking mechanism is broke on the passenger side.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I'm saying is take your sunroof's glass off, there's 6 screws holding it from the inside, you'll see the tabs im talking about and circled in the pictures, you can cut them off or drill them off like I did and your sunroof will start closing on both sides, I had the same problem where one side would close and the other wont, and makes a loud cracking noise....

I hope this was more helpfull than the peanut butter sandwich one lol...
Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by SunburstSS

All I'm saying is take your sunroof's glass off, there's 6 screws holding it from the inside, you'll see the tabs im talking about and circled in the pictures, you can cut them off or drill them off like I did and your sunroof will start closing on both sides, I had the same problem where one side would close and the other wont, and makes a loud cracking noise....

I hope this was more helpfull than the peanut butter sandwich one lol...
I don't see how those tabs would have anything to do with the arm not moving. They were never in the way before, why remove them all of the sudden?

I found a broken piece of plastic in my track anyway. I'm sure it's not the tabs. Something obviously broke.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
I don't see how those tabs would have anything to do with the arm not moving. They were never in the way before, why remove them all of the sudden?

I found a broken piece of plastic in my track anyway. I'm sure it's not the tabs. Something obviously broke.
If you open the sunroof will it open all the way ?

& When you go to close it, it closes on one side and the other side stays up and makes a cracking noise when closing ?

Also you might have other broken pieces in the rail stopping it from closing correctly...

Once you take the glass off you'll know for sure
Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 PM

If you open the sunroof will it open all the way ?

& When you go to close it, it closes on one side and the other side stays up and makes a cracking noise when closing ?

Also you might have other broken pieces in the rail stopping it from closing correctly...

Once you take the glass off you'll know for sure
Yep, goes all the way open. Opening it works perfectly as if nothing were wrong.

When I close it, my driver's side will go all the way down, and you can see the track slide.. However, when the passenger side attempts to close, it will not go past the "vent" stage. You can visually see the track doesn't move.

Nothing else is in the rail, I triple checked.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by falke401
Mine started going slow and making noises so I just closed it and pulled the fuse for the sunroof about 2 years ago. Problem solved.
One of the many reasons I've been on the lookout for a CF sunroof plug. I bent the frame auto-xing the car once, got the replacement which has worked fine so far. But one more problem and I'm done messing with it.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:58 PM

Talking

Yep, goes all the way open. Opening it works perfectly as if nothing were wrong.

When I close it, my driver's side will go all the way down, and you can see the track slide.. However, when the passenger side attempts to close, it will not go past the "vent" stage. You can visually see the track doesn't move.

Nothing else is in the rail, I triple checked.
thats the same trouble i had, you see these plastic tabs I am talking about are meant to hold the sunroof down when it's closed...

A part of the sunroof is trying to go under the tab but it cant since a piece broke off of it..

Once these tabs are cut/gone the arms will go down fine...

You are probably wondering what will happen after you cut them off, well nothing bad, I had them off for six months + and everything works perfect, I bought another sunroof then I discovered that was all I had to do, so I did it

I'm not gonna force you to go and cut the tab off, but from my one week horrible experience with it , that was the easiest and quickest solution and replacing the sunroof's frame " about 300 dollars " was my second one...

Last edited by SunburstSS; 02-06-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:03 AM

its not summer time here in illinois man!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:12 AM

Mine's broke too. I was told it would be covered under warrenty. I hope so
Old 02-06-2011, 12:24 AM

thats the same trouble i had, you see these plastic tabs I am talking about are meant to hold the sunroof down when it's closed...

A part of the sunroof is trying to go under the tab but it cant since a piece broke off of it..

Once these tabs are cut/gone the arms will go down fine...

You are probably wondering what will happen after you cut them off, well nothing bad, I had them off for six months + and everything works perfect, I bought another sunroof then I discovered that was all I had to do, so I did it

I'm not gonna force you to go and cut the tab off, but from my one week horrible experience with it , that was the easiest and quickest solution and replacing the sunroof's frame " about 300 dollars " was my second one...
That's so weird lol, it doesn't even make sense, but I have nothing to lose I guess.

Take them off on both sides? And I read the glass must be "aligned" after taking it off, is this true?

Originally Posted by Render2009
its not summer time here in illinois man!
So what!! Sunroof open + heat blasted = Om nom nom

Originally Posted by cmatthewb101
Mine's broke too. I was told it would be covered under warrenty. I hope so
I wish I had that luxury.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:30 AM

OP- it seems like your car has a lot of little problems! I'm sorry! hope it gets figured out!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:34 AM

That's so weird lol, it doesn't even make sense, but I have nothing to lose I guess.

Take them off on both sides? And I read the glass must be "aligned" after taking it off, is this true?

So what!! Sunroof open + heat blasted = Om nom nom

I wish I had that luxury.

Yeah tell me about it, i had the same look on my face when it worked lol, just take the one on the side that's not closing, but to avoid this problem happening again in the future takem both off, i drilled mine completely off ! but u can just cut them off and keep the bottom part attached...

well i put mine on and took me like a minute to get them right, there's really no major allignment that needs to be done...

You really have nothing to lose, you will be happy with the results trust me
Old 02-06-2011, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by 07cobalt2.2
OP- it seems like your car has a lot of little problems! I'm sorry! hope it gets figured out!
Dude I know! For the love of god!!

The whole deal with the blower: I just wanted to make sure the rotors/housing wear marks were normal before I slapped it all back together.

Only thing really wrong with the car left for me to fix is the timing chain tensioner...... And now this!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:36 AM

Yeah tell me about it, i had the same look on my face when it worked lol, just take the one on the side that's not closing, but to avoid this problem happening again in the future takem both off, i drilled mine completely off ! but u can just cut them off and keep the bottom part attached...

well i put mine on and took me like a minute to get them right, there's really no major allignment that needs to be done...

You really have nothing to lose, you will be happy with the results trust me
And I'm sure I made it clear, but the "broken" side isn't locking.. As in: If I am inside the car and the sunroof is down, I can push the broken side up to the tilt position with my hand..

This will make it lock too? Because if it's not locked water will definitely get in there..
Old 02-06-2011, 12:53 AM

OP.. you should have bought mine instead hahaha cheaper cars usually have more problems.. regardless best of luck with this
Old 02-06-2011, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Render2009
OP.. you should have bought mine instead hahaha cheaper cars usually have more problems.. regardless best of luck with this
I wanted G85 or else I would have!! It only had 1 owner, and low miles at that. It's the luck of the draw, or er.. Lack there of..

Not a big deal. Some guys get the bad motor/trans problems, some of us get lucky enough to have the insignificant crap break. I can drive with a broken sunroof.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 AM

Not a big deal. Some guys get the bad motor/trans problems, some of us get lucky enough to have the insignificant crap break. I can drive with a broken sunroof.
And this si why I don't complain about mine. Car drives great :knock on wood:
Old 02-06-2011, 02:39 AM

And I'm sure I made it clear, but the "broken" side isn't locking.. As in: If I am inside the car and the sunroof is down, I can push the broken side up to the tilt position with my hand..

This will make it lock too? Because if it's not locked water will definitely get in there..
Now im lost buddy :x so you're saying that the sunroof will actually shut properly as if it goes in the proper position when closed, but you can just lift it up from the inside on the passenger's side ?

And this si why I don't complain about mine. Car drives great :knock on wood:
you at work man lol ?

Last edited by SunburstSS; 02-06-2011 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Banned

yeah man this is the exact issue when the brackets break. the part that is causing it not to close is the part that the other guy mentioned that locks the sunroof down. it breaks off and gets inside the track. open the sunroof all the way and on the side that will not close you will see a broken or popped off small bracket. break it the rest of the way off, or align it with the glass as it comes down and it will close.

it should be a really small piece that is broken, not the actual sunroof tracks.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:11 AM

this happened to me, except i was being a dumb ass and trying to dry off my bathing suit while going down the road cuz i didnt want the wetness in my car :P oops lol

i took it into the dealer and they warrantied it... but as for fixing it you got me :/
Old 02-06-2011, 07:16 AM

you at work man lol ?
I some how missed this. Yes, I am at work

Originally Posted by hossdeuce
this happened to me, except i was being a dumb ass and trying to dry off my bathing suit while going down the road cuz i didnt want the wetness in my car :P oops lol

i took it into the dealer and they warrantied it... but as for fixing it you got me :/
You *******
Old 02-06-2011, 07:18 AM

I some how missed this. Yes, I am at work

You *******
lol had i known the thing would break i wouldna done it
Old 02-06-2011, 07:21 AM

Never give a Cobalt the benifit of a doubt. Just assume IT WILL break

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sunroof won't close!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!