Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Sunroof won't close!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
I will check into this. Because as of now, the arm on the driver's side still works, and the passenger side does not. As in, the arm will not move and the glass will stay in "vent" while the driver side goes to the "closed" position.

Can you take some pictures maybe?
Here ya go.

I try lol. Now, if you look just behind the ">PA<" you can see that swirl circle mark, you would want that arm that slides, a little closer to the arrow than to the swirl mark but just barely. Kinda almost in the middle between the arrow and the swirl mark, then just a touch toward the arrow.

If you look where my finger is pointing you can see that bottom edge wrapping the arm (thats what I am trying to line up in between the ">PA<" and the circle). I don't know if this will help you if your arm doesn't move at all, but if it will pull closed and not go flush on one/both sides, this is a likely culprit.

Hope it helps.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:41 PM

Here another shot where you can better see the piece that wraps the track.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My moonroof stuck open and was actually a little crooked. I took it to the dealer and they quoted around 500. No thanks, I went to Advance and got 3 torx wrenches (t-15, t-20 and t-25) Removed the moonroof glass, removed the rubber liner around the moonroof, removed the sunshades, dropped the headliner down, removed the moonroof motor and manually slid the tracks forward. Then put it all back together. I also yanked the fuse for the moonroof like another member on here so it shall never open again!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
break off the white pieces, it'll close then.

mine did that like 4 years ago

PS you don't have to remove the sunroof to do it
how would you do it? my damn sunroof just quit working and I've decided if I can get it closed it'll stay that way
Old 12-16-2012, 02:49 PM

Hello Forum !! Hello from Mexico, i came to this forum checking for a fix or a solution to a problem with my sunroof, i have a 2006 pontiac G4 (same as Pursuit).

Problem was a cheap plastic broken from the sunroof mechanism that keeps one side (driver) vented and the other side (passenger) closed and a lot of cracks on every use of it.

When the first crack happens i get these little plastic pieces:

Name:  DSC00842_zpsf4d3b667.jpg
Views: 1875
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  DSC00844_zpse3e8a9b5.jpg
Views: 1831
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  DSC00843_zps3cfedad8.jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  44.1 KB

I tried to get ones to make the fix, but there is not pieces for sale available, you have to buy all the sunroof, here in Mexico can cost around 700 Usd, just to get that little plastic pieces.

Well let me tell you that there´s a solution for this, my Dad helped me yesterday to make a new one metal replacement part which wouldn't broke anymore, let me attach some pictures:

Name:  DSC00849_zpsafe0bc2d.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  DSC00851_zps873a2579.jpg
Views: 1826
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  DSC00850_zpsae5f5878.jpg
Views: 1818
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  DSC00848_zps066f4efe.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  73.1 KB

I believe the base is copper and the little barrels are bronze, they can be welded with plumber equipment, very strong at the end

Here is a picture of the piece installed

Name:  DSC00860_zps283b45f4.jpg
Views: 2027
Size:  75.9 KB

We have to use the another broken part, the third one on the first picture, wich holds the bottom part of the new metal replacement, it's fixed with strong glue and a bolt which can assure you it shouldn't move anymore

Name:  DSC00860_zps283b45f4.jpg
Views: 2027
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  DSC00859_zpse5ad6cfa.jpg
Views: 1844
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  DSC00858_zpsea1012a0.jpg
Views: 2022
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  DSC00861_zps0831c23a.jpg
Views: 1881
Size:  62.8 KB

First close without problems or craks, that little plastic piece slides a part who locks with that little white parts that keep the sunroof up

Name:  DSC00856_zps816c6e65.jpg
Views: 1850
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  DSC00855_zpse726db52.jpg
Views: 1953
Size:  101.8 KB

Some videos of the open-close procedure after installation:

So as you can see it can be fixed with metal parts that will resist more time that the cheap plastic parts that broke for the normal use of the sunroof and will let you "lock" or "secure" that sunroof that it's more safe than remove those white hard locks.

Sorry for the bad english and for the dirty car.

Regards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00860_zps283b45f4.jpg (75.9 KB, 142 views)
Old 12-16-2012, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine broke 3 days before the warranty ran out.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by ivan1984
Hello Forum !! Hello from Mexico, i came to this forum checking for a fix or a solution to a problem with my sunroof, i have a 2006 pontiac G4 (same as Pursuit).

Problem was a cheap plastic broken from the sunroof mechanism that keeps one side (driver) vented and the other side (passenger) closed and a lot of cracks on every use of it.

When the first crack happens i get these little plastic pieces:

I tried to get ones to make the fix, but there is not pieces for sale available, you have to buy all the sunroof, here in Mexico can cost around 700 Usd, just to get that little plastic pieces.

Well let me tell you that there´s a solution for this, my Dad helped me yesterday to make a new one metal replacement part which wouldn't broke anymore, let me attach some pictures:

I believe the base is copper and the little barrels are bronze, they can be welded with plumber equipment, very strong at the end

Here is a picture of the piece installed

We have to use the another broken part, the third one on the first picture, wich holds the bottom part of the new metal replacement, it's fixed with strong glue and a bolt which can assure you it shouldn't move anymore

First close without problems or craks, that little plastic piece slides a part who locks with that little white parts that keep the sunroof up

Some videos of the open-close procedure after installation:

So as you can see it can be fixed with metal parts that will resist more time that the cheap plastic parts that broke for the normal use of the sunroof and will let you "lock" or "secure" that sunroof that it's more safe than remove those white hard locks.

Sorry for the bad english and for the dirty car.

Regards.
Primo! Your sunroof runs so smoothly! How did you do it? Cleaning the tracks out and probably a new seal would help mine huh? Thanks!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 PM

Yeah, cleaned the tracks and also put some lithium grease (4 or 5 dollars the can at Autozone) Decided to use lithium because it doesn't melt with high temperature or direct sunlight
Old 08-13-2013, 07:05 PM

Exclamation

I have the same problem with that little black plastic piece. Instead of making it out of copper, I am first attempting to have it made using a 3D printer.
3D printing services in your neighborhood | makexyz.com has listings of local people who will make parts for you on a printer.
I'll keep you all posted on whether or not this works out.

Not about to pay $152 for a rail assembly when it's only a $0.10 part needing to be replaced....Beat the system!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 PM

Got the same problem. Stupid small tracks broke. Got mine closed but it flaps around a bit, nothing really securing it. Have to just replace the sunroof frame. It's not that difficult, part is around $200 bucks or so, just dumb that so much trouble comes from something I don't even want. Would rather have the heated seats.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:10 PM

Yes sir mine also broke , removed tabs as described !!!!! Thanks guys
Old 11-28-2013, 06:12 PM

Lightbulb

So I ended up getting my sunroof closed, and pulling the fuse to I don't accidentally open it.
I got some people who wanted to make the part for me for around $30-60. I then realized there was a second part that also cracked as Ivan shows. I figured it wasn't worth having it 3d printed for $100 when I can get the new piece from GM for $150.
I've been without a sunroof, and I really miss it!
Here is where things changed...
My family spontaneously decided they were going to split a 3d printer, so it's sitting in the room next door. I don't yet know how to model such a piece, however If someone wants to make the 3d design, and send it to me, I would be glad to have it printed for you as well. Let's starting making parts as they break, and sharing them under DIY in the forums. This way together we can all benefit, and beat the system. Let's not let GM force us into buying overpriced parts

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OF THESE PARTS THAT ARE NOT BROKEN?
-Maybe because you had to replace the entire rail or whatever the reason may be. If you do, maybe we can have it scanned in 3D, and that's it. A perfect replica can be printed for a few cents.

Last edited by jaydd73; 11-28-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:30 PM

I'm needing to take mine to the dealer... my sunroof will go up to vent and back to close...but will not slide back to open fully. Sounds like a little rattling in the sunroof so I'm sure there's a part broken in there. These damn cheap plastic parts suck. Even my old srt4 had issues... after 120mph the sunroof would pop up on its own and I'd have to tinker with it to get it back on track.

Anyone have the same issue with the cobalt's sunroof not opening fully ??
Old 02-17-2014, 06:06 PM

Well I'm reviving this post, I want to say that my sun roof is in the same boat with the same plastic pieces broke. I think GM should recall this BS of a setup, and replace with some reinforced tooling/hardware. I am going to remove the tabs I think, I don't care if its not secured down it will be garaged, and at least in the summer it'll go up, and down properly. You guys are the best and am glad I ran into these old posts, thanks a bunch.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:44 PM

Received 287 Likes on 265 Posts
Good luck with that one. GM wont even recall the power steering box.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:58 PM

My 2006 has had the same issue with the sunroof as well. The sliding lock arm cracked on the driver side toward the rear of the window causing the arm to bind and break off. The window still works in the tilt/back/close positions, doesn't leak, or jam. I also have it open and drive regularly. The only issue now is driving with it closed at highway speeds it sounds like I have a window open, but has anyone ever had any issues after that?

I don't want to replace the entire frame unless its hazardous or starts leaking. Is that plastic sliding lock only to keep it sealed, or does it serve other purposes.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:02 AM

Thank you for your easy to understand directions. I just fixed my daughters birthday present that she can now drive since it is raining out. lol I didn't think I'd have to start fixing the Chevy the 1st day I bought it. lol
Old 12-08-2020, 06:27 PM

Had this happen to my 07 SS last night, and tried a few things. The first Youtube fix it vid I saw blamed the motor. Motor works fine, so that's not it. Seems the cable gear looks a bit worn, but it goes opens just fine, just closes with a 1" gap. Gonna use my days off to try a couple of the fixes in this forum and hope for the best.

Sidenote: I wonder if the common denominator is "cold weather"? Might be the cables don't work properly in cooler temps.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:51 PM

This is a decade old, but thanks for posting it, bc I am sure people are going to continue to run into this issue and will take it to the dealership to spend the $800-$1000 to get a new sunroof substructure and labor due primarily to poor engineering. In his picture of the 3 broken parts above, mine was the one on the top right that connects to the arm and was sitting in the track broke when i went to look at the issue when the drivers side would not close all the way. I saw the posting about just moving the track forward with a screwdriver to get it to close but I didnt understand what I was looking at so I took the 3 screws out on the drivers side sunroof window, saw where that track piece was busted, but decided not to fix it like Ivan did with glue and a screw. For those that dont understand what is happening. The part that Ivan is showing that has the two nubs on it pushes the rail backward while opening to push the window up, but when retracting to close the window, the nub is not attached because the other part that ivan has screwed and glued has been broke so the bottom nub stays towards the back of the car when the rail is closing and it never gets pulled toward the front of the car to pull down the window and it gets stuck pointing backwards in between the rails thus not allowing the window to close. overall, very poorly engineered as the piece that broke on the rail at the very least needs to be made more durable considering the leverage on it a that point. Second, it blows that you cant get a replacement part from the manufacturer for a couple dollars instead of having to build your own like ivan did, but instead you have to tear apart the interior of the car to fix it.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:58 PM

and yes. like several others, I pulled the fuse and don't use the sunroof