Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Maintenance (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/)
-   -   "supercharger Collant" leak (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/supercharger-collant-leak-319289/)

brandon04 09-25-2015 04:38 PM

"supercharger Collant" leak

Question for my Cobalt ss/sc friends
So the other day while I was changing my oil I realized my supercharger coolant reservoir was empty, so I went and got a big bottle of 50-50 dexcool and ended up putting the whole bottle in because it just wouldn't stay full, finally it seemed to be pretty full. Well the next morning on my way to work after about 10 minutes of driving my car, I went for a pull and the car started started to putter really bad, my check engine light started blinking, and a S!@# ton of white smoke came out of my exhaust. When I got to work I checked my coolant reservoir and it was bone dry again, so adding 2 & 2 together I figured the coolant is leaking somewhere. lol I just wanted to see if anybody could tell me what this could be and if anyone has ever had this problem and how to fix it!

Adiaz1ss 09-25-2015 04:42 PM

Is the car modded in anyway?

double clutch 09-25-2015 04:43 PM

Are you talking about the T-neck in front of the supercharger, or the coolant reservoir to the right of the fuse box?

Haven07 09-25-2015 04:44 PM

Do you have a dual pass mod?

brandon04 09-25-2015 04:52 PM

No mods just the typical CAI. And yes im talking about the T-neck in front of the supercharger.

brandon04 09-25-2015 05:06 PM

And I forgot to mention this in the post, The whole situation with the puttering and blowing the smoke only lasted like 10 seconds, I shut the car off, turned it back on and it drove fine! I just don't know if its okay to drive it when it has what looks like no coolant in the T-neck.

double clutch 09-25-2015 05:10 PM

The t-neck filler loses coolant but its seems like yours is emptying more frequently. You can check for leaks at your endplate and obviously all the hoses going to and from the intercooler pump. You can still drive it, just refrain from going into boost.

Bluelightning 09-25-2015 05:16 PM

If it started smoking white that would lead me to believe the orings on the laminova cores or the o ring on the end plate is leaking. It would allow the motor to burn coolant.

brandon04 09-25-2015 05:23 PM

I'm not really familiar with anything supercharged this Is my first one I've owned so forgive me for my ignorance, I've owned plenty of turboed vehicles but that obviously a whole different ball-league, haha but what are the laminova rings? and would the O-ring be hard to fix?

Haven07 09-25-2015 05:38 PM

Not hard depending on your mechanical skills. But you'll have to remove the intake manifold. And if your going to do that might as well install an option b and/or dual pass unless you wanted to stay stock. Also replace the intake manifold gasket

You can get an idea of what to take off just looking for option b install guides

brandon04 09-25-2015 05:42 PM

Thanks for your help! where can I get a dual pass intercooler?

double clutch 09-25-2015 07:08 PM

Zzp for a cast endplate or ottp for a used stock endplate with a fitting welded in. I believe the ottp one is cheaper and isnt prone to leaking like the zzp one is.

Haven07 09-25-2015 07:24 PM

ZZp's leaks.

Ottp is "cheaper" but you have to send your core down so josh can modify it, or you can purchase a already modified one from crateenginedepot.com

Bluelightning 09-25-2015 08:01 PM

My ZZP dual pass never leaked

Haven07 09-25-2015 08:10 PM

Mine did so I replaced it with the one from crateenginedepot

Must be hit or miss:(

rnjmur 09-28-2015 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by brandon04 (Post 7567121)
I'm not really familiar with anything supercharged this Is my first one I've owned so forgive me for my ignorance, I've owned plenty of turboed vehicles but that obviously a whole different ball-league, haha but what are the laminova rings? and would the O-ring be hard to fix?

The laminova cores are in the intake manifold. You have to remove the supercharger then remove the intake manifold (I don't remember if you have to remove the fuel injectors or not to get the intake manifold off) . After removing the intake manifold you can remove the laminova endplate off the intake manifold and then remove the laminova cores. You can inspect the laminova cores to make sure they are not damaged, replace the O-rings, then replace everything. You should be able to complete the entire process in about 2 hours.

A little hint, when removing the intake manifold remove the intake manifold studs. You will have a bitch of a time trying to remove the manifold with the studs still in the head. Oh, and do NOT over tighten the intake manifold endplate bolts, or intake manifold studs and nuts, or you will cause yourself even more trouble.

Staged07SS 09-29-2015 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelightning (Post 7567120)
If it started smoking white that would lead me to believe the orings on the laminova cores or the o ring on the end plate is leaking. It would allow the motor to burn coolant.

This.

riceburner 09-29-2015 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelightning (Post 7567120)

I second this.

Staged07SS 09-30-2015 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Haven07 (Post 7567150)
Mine did so I replaced it with the one from crateenginedepot

Must be hit or miss:(

It's not hit or miss.

The ZZP endplate is garbage. End of story.

The GMR endplate from CED is the way to go. Glad you figured that out.

OP, use this thread:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...rnator-274630/

brandon04 10-01-2015 05:08 PM

Update on whats going on: So I took my balt to a shop in town that I do a lot of business through, I sell cars and we take every vehicle we have to them to get work done and they are a pretty straight forward place, I don't think theyd be ones to lie to me about whats going on but they said my whole intake system is shot and they are quoting me at $1,200 for oem replacments. While I trust them with most situations im a little iffy on this one, im asking you guys if I do need a whole intake system is there anywhere I could get one that would be a tad bit cheaper and I could actually gain a little performance?

double clutch 10-01-2015 08:39 PM

Exactly what parts are they saying you need? You can easily fix the leaking seals in your intake manifold. You can remove your laminova cores and clean them and replace your seals for very cheap. They are most likely quoting you for a new intake manifold with gaskets. Thats like 600 i believe plus labor. I dont see what else they would be charging you for.

Staged07SS 10-02-2015 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by brandon04 (Post 7568615)
Update on whats going on: So I took my balt to a shop in town that I do a lot of business through, I sell cars and we take every vehicle we have to them to get work done and they are a pretty straight forward place, I don't think theyd be ones to lie to me about whats going on but they said my whole intake system is shot and they are quoting me at $1,200 for oem replacments. While I trust them with most situations im a little iffy on this one, im asking you guys if I do need a whole intake system is there anywhere I could get one that would be a tad bit cheaper and I could actually gain a little performance?

No just no. Mongorat on here has a brand new lsj intake manifold for like $400. I highly advise against having a shop do this work. You can tackle this yourself. Trust me. Use my how to, and you will be set.

Second option is to purchase new laminova O-rings from zzp. along with all new gaskets for your existing intake manifold. Much cheaper, but a little more labor added in for removing and reinstalling the laminova cores.

brandon04 10-02-2015 01:05 PM

Awesome guys! Thanks for you help! and they are saying that the piping from the intercooler that goes into the intake manifold is leaking and causing it to go into my engine chamber! They are quoting me for a whole new intake system but I did think that was a little extreme, when its just one pipe that's leaking!

Staged07SS 10-02-2015 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by brandon04 (Post 7568826)
Awesome guys! Thanks for you help! and they are saying that the piping from the intercooler that goes into the intake manifold is leaking and causing it to go into my engine chamber! They are quoting me for a whole new intake system but I did think that was a little extreme, when its just one pipe that's leaking!

Correct. More than likely its just the O-rings on the laminova cores. They are like $20 new on zzps site. You can swap them out easily. My how to explains how to remove and install laminova cores, so if you need any help let me know.

brandon04 10-02-2015 03:16 PM

Sweet! Appreciate ya man!