Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Supercharger whine not audible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger whine not audible?

Hey guys! New to this forum as this is my first post. So i picked up an '05 cobalt ss/sc about a month ago. Love the car and have big plans for it.

Long story short my question today is how come the supercharger isnt making much of any noise (whine of course)? The only time i ever actually hear it is in high RPM's and even then i can barely hear it. The only mods on the car are an injen Cold air intake, and a catback exhaust, that's how i got it.

I've done some reading and research and alot of people are saying just a cold air intake alone will make it very audible. But thats not the case. Im not sure if its just all the sound deadening material that came in these cars or what. I know a smaller SC pulley will make a huge difference, but im going to be putting a ZZP stage 3 kit on the car here soon in the future anyways.

My question is how can i make the whine a more audible sound without hurting anything? And how come i still cant hear it with an aftermarket CAI?
Old 07-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 211 Likes on 170 Posts
do you just want noise out of the car or power?

happy medium in my opinion is ditch the injen and go with a stock airbox and mod it, or if you want the aftermarket look go 3 inch intake. zzp stage 3 kit and you should definitely be able to hear it then and still make decent power.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=07MetallicSC;7613688]do you just want noise out of the car or power?

Well right now noise, like i said the stage 3 will come later. Why replace the $200 intake that's already on it. I already replaced the filter with a K&N cone filter, since the old injen one was gummed up and looked like it had never been changed. But i dont see how a stock airbox would be better at all
Old 07-05-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 132 Likes on 109 Posts
[quote=05ChevBaltSS]
Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
do you just want noise out of the car or power?

Well right now noise, like i said the stage 3 will come later. Why replace the $200 intake that's already on it. I already replaced the filter with a K&N cone filter, since the old injen one was gummed up and looked like it had never been changed. But i dont see how a stock airbox would be better at all
The stock air box flows just as good as any aftermarket intake for these power levels. Thats why its better to invest in something better than a pretty silver pipe. You only need an aftermarket intake when you are 350+ i believe.
The following users liked this post:
07MetallicSC (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 211 Likes on 170 Posts
[QUOTE=double clutch;7613805]
Originally Posted by 05ChevBaltSS

The stock air box flows just as good as any aftermarket intake for these power levels. Thats why its better to invest in something better than a pretty silver pipe. You only need an aftermarket intake when you are 350+ i believe.
this guy speaks the troof.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 05ChevBaltSS
Hey guys! New to this forum as this is my first post. So i picked up an '05 cobalt ss/sc about a month ago. Love the car and have big plans for it.

Long story short my question today is how come the supercharger isnt making much of any noise (whine of course)? The only time i ever actually hear it is in high RPM's and even then i can barely hear it. The only mods on the car are an injen Cold air intake, and a catback exhaust, that's how i got it.

I've done some reading and research and alot of people are saying just a cold air intake alone will make it very audible. But thats not the case. Im not sure if its just all the sound deadening material that came in these cars or what. I know a smaller SC pulley will make a huge difference, but im going to be putting a ZZP stage 3 kit on the car here soon in the future anyways.

My question is how can i make the whine a more audible sound without hurting anything? And how come i still cant hear it with an aftermarket CAI?
If you put a smaller pulley on there it will be more noticeable but even then it isn't "loud". The SC by design quiets the amount of audible whine.