Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Maintenance (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/)
-   -   Very modified cobalt keeps breaking CV joints (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/very-modified-cobalt-keeps-breaking-cv-joints-326560/)

Arthur Buckley 07-11-2018 06:44 PM

Very modified cobalt keeps breaking CV joints

Hi this is my first post. I bought my Cobalt about 3 years ago it's lowered with 17 inch rims and a bunch of other stuff anyways that's the Important stuff. At the beginning of this summer I hit a pot hole while turning right and it broke a motor mount causing the right CV joint to break. I took it to my local kal tire they tried 3 different parts to get it fixed they needed to buy a whole new assembly. 2 days ago I hit another small pot hole causing it to break again. I got it fixed and after about 10 minutes of driving it broke again. I'm wondering if I'm going to need to buy a whole new assembly or is there something that the mechanics are doing wrong? They just keep popping out!

Sharkey 07-11-2018 07:54 PM

first off, what cobalt is it? is it auto or 5 speed?

my first thought is something is bent in the suspension, however depending on how low the car is, that could be causing the problems.

Arthur Buckley 07-11-2018 08:36 PM

It's a 2007 cobalt ss supercharged 5 speed manual. I bought it with coil over and it was dropped right down the exhaust scraped on the speed bumps and all that good stuff. When I got it fixed 2 days ago i asked him to raise it and inch because the suspension had no travel. I will ask him to check that tmr

cluelessk 07-11-2018 09:15 PM

Axle bind? Being very low throws off geometry and it leads to issues.

Sharkey 07-11-2018 10:28 PM

the axle geometry is marginal stock on the ss/sc and ss/tc, lowering only makes it worse. installing a set of powell motorsports rotated mounts helps fix this problem, and id highly recommend it. however if the car is as low as you say your always going to have issues, at least until you raise it back up.

jdbaugh1 07-12-2018 08:37 AM

Post some pictures. Hitting potholes hard enough to break motor mounts could damage all sorts of things. Being low enough to scrap with no suspension travel definitely isn't helping things either. You could have a combination of issues.

Arthur Buckley 07-12-2018 07:13 PM

I cant post any pictures as of right now. But now that its lifted it seems pretty close to where stock would be im thinking i could fit my whole hand in the wheel well before i struggled to get 3 fingers in. The mechanic showed me everything and he thinks its a solid 1inch and a half to short. I saw a thread on here where someone had the same problem and the manufacturer had made a batch of them that were to short is it likely that i got a short one?

Arthur Buckley 07-12-2018 07:17 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cob...1742903c13.jpgHere is how low it used to be

Arthur Buckley 07-12-2018 07:18 PM

It also hase wheel spacers but the mechanic said that it wouldnt change anything

Arthur Buckley 07-12-2018 07:22 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cob...570b1059ad.jpgThis is what broke it the first time.

Arthur Buckley 07-12-2018 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by HGT (Post 7692941)
What's too short?

the CV joint after its installed he could just pull it out of the parr that leads to the transmission

63 Nova SS 07-12-2018 08:27 PM

You may have the wrong axel. Plus being really low you are always gonna struggle with possibly breaking them. A lot of aftermarket axles are really weak also. Go with what Sharrer said, it should help, did me and I wasn't that low. That's a pretty low dip in the road I'm not surprised. Be glad you don't have a big intercooler on the front cause that dip would have taken it out.

Arthur Buckley 07-12-2018 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS (Post 7692944)
You may have the wrong axel. Plus being really low you are always gonna struggle with possibly breaking them. A lot of aftermarket axles are really weak also. Go with what Sharrer said, it should help, did me and I wasn't that low. That's a pretty low dip in the road I'm not surprised. Be glad you don't have a big intercooler on the front cause that dip would have taken it out.

The mechanic said that he ordered both of the axles that were listed for my car, and the right one is to short. will raising it another inch help keep the axle in? He said when i brought it in the first time the axle wasnt broke just the inner boot pulled apart.

63 Nova SS 07-13-2018 05:59 AM

Axels should be the same length.you may be able to band aid it for a short period of time by raising it up but I doubt it will last forever. If you are fixing it you might as well do it right. I would rather go with one from the scrap yard that looks decent rather than a new aftermarket one that's not right.

Johnny Bliss 07-18-2018 12:34 PM

do these axles have c clips to hold them in? a very long time ago i had a bent front axle on my ram 1500 and i put in several that kept popping out until i realized there is a c clip that broke off thats supposed to hold it in.

63 Nova SS 07-18-2018 12:37 PM

There is a very small retaining ring but nothing like a c clip.

hawkssoccer11 07-18-2018 04:49 PM

get some rotated mounts, get o.e. axles from the dealer or off rock auto from acdelco. raise the car up an inch or so and your problem will be solved. i have coils but im def not that low. im just about flush upfront and i havent had any issues since i did mounts and a new axle.