Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Show & Shine (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show-shine-140/)
-   -   cleaning of paintballs (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show-shine-140/cleaning-paintballs-39130/)

LSCobaltlover05 11-24-2006 04:43 PM

cleaning of paintballs

As some of you know my car got paintballed last week. well today was the first day i could wash my car good since it was over like 55 degrees. I got most of the paint off the night it happened, but i guess from the impact it left little like 1/8 inch spots of paint EVERYWHERE. normal car wash w/ water doesnt get it off. Goo-Gone works good but i dont feel like goin over my whole car w/ goo-gone. does anyone know what i can do to get off all the spots? Thanks.

Grimsaviour 11-25-2006 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by LSCobaltlover05
As some of you know my car got paintballed last week. well today was the first day i could wash my car good since it was over like 55 degrees. I got most of the paint off the night it happened, but i guess from the impact it left little like 1/8 inch spots of paint EVERYWHERE. normal car wash w/ water doesnt get it off. Goo-Gone works good but i dont feel like goin over my whole car w/ goo-gone. does anyone know what i can do to get off all the spots? Thanks.

Theres several things you can try. If the paint washed off with water then its water based.... so don't even think of using paint thinners or gasoline, it will dull your paint and just wont work. I recomend maybe trying a grooming bar, or a clay bar (same thing, 2 names) it will take a lot of elbow grease but it will eventually come off. You can also try a wax and grease remover, that might work well for you. I work in a body shop so when it comes to getting stuff off i have several options. i usually start with soapy water, then wax and grease remover, then we have this stuff call Kent Acrysol pretty good stuff but its industrial use only. its a stronger wax and grease remover. You can also use paint reducer, paint thinners (not recomended) you could also try rubbing alcohol. Another thing that i was amazed at working for tar really fast is aloe vera baby wipes. Gets road tar off really fast.

Anyways, good luck in your endevor. but no matter what its going to take a lot of rubbing. i can tell you that much.

LSCobaltlover05 11-25-2006 11:27 PM

Thanks man, i tried a clay bar and it didnt really work too well, but i will def. try the other options. But do you know if goo-gone would be safe to use on my whole car?

halfj99 11-25-2006 11:29 PM

maybe bug and tar remover?...

saunders1986 11-26-2006 05:12 AM

paintballs are usally oil based, so i would try a bath in dawn dish soap, only thing is, you will have to rewax after this, cuz it removes wax also..... dont make a habbit of washing ur car with dawn....

Grimsaviour 11-27-2006 01:11 AM

I'm not sure about goo-gone since we dont use home based products at work and i have never used it myself. I'm sure it would say it on the bottle if it wasnt safe. What i do recomend is that you use 100% cotton cloth to wipe your car with to avoid swirl marks.

Also one other thing you could try is head down to your local detail shop and ask them what you can use to get the stuff off. If they are nice they will try a couple things on your car and give you an awnser, or if money is no object you could also get them to take it off for you.

Where i work its easy to do a trial an error thing since we have like 12 choices of products so we just pick the weakest one to start with and move on to harsher stuff. Paint thinners being the worse, funny enough this wont always work either. And will also quickly dull paint requiring a cut polish afterwards.

Talking about cut polish, this will most certainly get it off but not without a significant amount of rubbing. I suppose you could use a heavy cut cleaner with a buffing machine, preferably an electric one, on low speed and buff your whole car. After that use a fine cut cleaner to finish it off.

Anyways, if you lived in victoria BC i'd invite you to my shop lol. i could literally talk about this all night. there's just too many optons to list. Just head to a detail shop or a bodyshop near where you live and ask them if they know a good solution for you.

Good luck!:ca:

Badmunky 11-27-2006 09:15 AM

Off topic but WOW that ^ balt got F d pu big time!

And goo gone should be ok to use on the whole car but you will have to rewax it after as it will take the wax off.

Later

Pinky Demon 11-27-2006 05:51 PM

Dude! If someone paintballed my Cobalt, I would effin' kill them, but not before a long and painful torture. I've found Orange Clean works well on stuff like that, however I don't know how it would react with the paint. :( Try it somewhere inconspicuous.

rcmpayne 02-01-2007 10:49 AM

I got paintballed too bud, Green paintballs at that on a black car. Bustards I don’t think it has any scratches tho

cobaltssTH 02-01-2007 10:54 AM

dude i would literally kill anybody who would paintball my car. Did you reallyl piss someone off or did they just do it cuz your car is so much better than theirs. LOL

LSCobaltlover05 02-01-2007 04:17 PM

They just randomly did it, im not the one to piss anyone off. And rcm i feel your pain, hopefully you got it all off when it was still wet cause paint is a bitch to get off after it dries.