Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Detailing Question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailing Question...

So I spent a little extra money this week on detailing things and I wanted to know from the professionals if I am doing this correctly:

I purchased Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, Meguiar's Tech Wax 2.0 and Meguiar's Clay Bar Kit.

I used the Clay bar AFTER I thoroughly washed it and then applied the Ultimate Compound in the shade. I used my Random Action buffer and a Terry Cloth bonnet to apply the compound. I let it haze over and then switched to a Wool Bonnet. Without putting a little pressure on the rotating edge, I couldn't get the stuff to polish out. After trial and error with my technique of polishing and buffing, I got better results by hand buffing the Ultimate Compound out. I thought maybe this was a dirty bonnet so I changed to a clean wool bonnet for the buffing / polishing. It was a little better but it still resulted in me having to hand buff the compound out.

I kept the application bonnet and the polishing bonnet strictly for each compound, resulting in 1 Terry Cloth application bonnet and 1 Wool Polishing Bonnet.

I applied the Tech Wax by hand in the prescribed instructions on the can. I waited for the wax to haze over and then used a clean, never used bonnet to polish the wax and it wasn't as difficult to remove it as the Ultimate Compound but I still had to break down and just use a Terry Cloth towel to buff out the wax.

I was satisfied with how the Ultimate Compound removed all of the scratches and swirls out of the clear coat but it seemed as if it was removing very small amounts of the clear coat instead filling in the microscratches.

Am I doing something wrong or using the wrong supplies for this? I can't afford a real "professional orbital buffer" like most swear by here, but I am curious what I could be doing the hard way that's easier or less frustrating (I spent 2 hours on just the hood between 1 application + buff of Ultimate Compount and 1 coat of Tech Wax with Application + Polishing)

Insight using these 2 particular things in tandem? What type of buffing/polishing bonnet should I use? Should I use a soft sponge applicator to apply the compound and wax and just use a Terry cloth bonnet to polish/buff it out?
Old 03-27-2011, 02:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For one... if you're talking about a wal-mart "buffer" (The 20 dollar ones), you shouldn't be going anywhere near your car with actual compound on that thing.

A Porter Cable 7424 is the minimum you want to do any paint correction with.

Anyways, when it comes to paint correction, compounds will remove clear coat. You remove scratches by leveling the paint down enough so that the scratch isn't catching the light. There is a reason professional detailers will check the paint thickness prior to attempting paint correction, to make sure they are not removing all of the remaining clearcoat. If the paint is too thin, then a repaint is necessary.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:36 AM

The finish looks great now albeit it seems a tiny bit thinner. If I apply a wax after a compound, what kind of long term damage can I expect to befall me within the next few years. The outcome from 1 coat of compound + 1 coat of wax was very impressive.

I didn't notice any "burn spots" or thin spots on any part of the areas I worked on, most of the scratches were removed and I have a pretty flawless finish on the car. I did make sure to wax what I put compound on though to be sure I wasn't doing more damage than protection.

What type of product should I use to fill in the scratches rather than remove small amounts of the clearcoat to even out the finish?
Old 03-27-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Hammbones
The finish looks great now albeit it seems a tiny bit thinner. If I apply a wax after a compound, what kind of long term damage can I expect to befall me within the next few years. The outcome from 1 coat of compound + 1 coat of wax was very impressive.

I didn't notice any "burn spots" or thin spots on any part of the areas I worked on, most of the scratches were removed and I have a pretty flawless finish on the car. I did make sure to wax what I put compound on though to be sure I wasn't doing more damage than protection.

What type of product should I use to fill in the scratches rather than remove small amounts of the clearcoat to even out the finish?
You should only use compound to remove defects. If you use it too often, you do risk thinning out the paint too much. Wax/sealant application, however, is fine and highly reccommended.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:42 PM

Does Meguiar's carry a Sealant or is the Tech Wax 2.0 that I have already recommended?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 PM

Whether or not you use sealant is a personal preference. Sealants don't have to be applied nearly as often, but tend to not give as deep of an effect as wax.