Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Show & Shine (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show-shine-140/)
-   -   Getting wax off black textured grilles? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show-shine-140/getting-wax-off-black-textured-grilles-230786/)

pbass 10-13-2010 02:59 PM

Getting wax off black textured grilles?

I put Nu Finish on my TC and got wax on the edges of the black textured grilles. It's the texturing that's the real problem.

Tried APC and a toothbrush/rag. SLOW GOING. I'm not doing this every time I wax, nor am I willing to mask the grilles.

Seems I have to (a) coat the grilles with something that repels wax, or (b) sand off the texturing and maybe even paint over it, or (c) buy metal grilles.

Will give Duragloss Wax Eraser a shot first (coming in the mail).

Grishbok 10-18-2010 10:53 AM

if the wax is dry on the black plastic, try using the heat/friction from your finger to rub it off. This is what we do mostly if we miss a spot, but seriously, we tape it off. If friction and finger rubbing (teehee) dont work, most waxes can be dissolved with dish detergent, such as dawn. used sparringly with a yellow/green dish pad. and dont get this on the paint.

don't be lazy, save yourself the headache and do it right the first time, tape it off. TAPE IT OFF. <-- its good practice to get into the habit of anyway.

TommyP 10-18-2010 11:00 AM

did you try just a rubber pencil eraser? I've heard those work just fine.

terry.davis1 10-18-2010 11:00 AM

Agreed...Dawn dish detergent and a toothbrush and some patience. Then hit it with some Mother's Back-2-Black or something similar. Or do like I did when I bought the car and the grille was all F'd up...I took it out and repainted it black.
I always mask my car off...so much easier in the long run

pbass 10-18-2010 11:14 AM

OK thanks, will mask. It took forever but I got it off with APC and a toothbrush.

[10] 10-18-2010 03:19 PM

Tape? Seriously? Aren't you worried about the adhesive getting stuck on the paint? I'd just go with a toothbrush. It only takes two seconds to remove the wax while it's still wet.

H3 Proto 10-18-2010 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by [10] (Post 5307533)
Tape? Seriously? Aren't you worried about the adhesive getting stuck on the paint? I'd just go with a toothbrush. It only takes two seconds to remove the wax while it's still wet.

Not sure if srs?

You don't put the tape on the paint.

terry.davis1 10-18-2010 11:27 PM

^ and use good blue painters tape...shit comes right off.

pbass 10-21-2010 02:40 PM

Duragloss 481 Wax Eraser works GREAT, I don't care if it's made of baboon snot or what.

jonnymerk 12-07-2010 10:55 PM

I've used plenty of waxes that dont leave the white residue if you can't color with in the lines. Seriously tho some good waxes out there that don't leave residue.

RHZ 12-10-2010 10:55 AM

There's an awesome 5 dollar solution from wal-mart called Mothers: Back to black. I love this stuff. I turned my girlfriends 20 year old looking CR-V to showroom quality in about 30 minutes.

agita_san 05-19-2011 05:05 PM

I use maguiars (sp) trim detailer. Same deal tho. Also Granted I use nu-finish every few months, for my wax jobs in between I use maguiars (sp again lol) liquid wax. Stuff works well, goes on and comes off easy and doesn't leave marks on the plastic trim.

MannyP 05-31-2011 05:24 AM

I recently bought Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant from Canadian Tire, it is an awesome product.
Restored my grill, took off all the leftover wax residue stuck on the plastic around my mirrors, and all the little spots that have faded.
I applied two coats and it's lasted great through two washes so far, it even works on the tires.

Meguiars Ultimate Protectant | Canadian Tire

H3 Proto 05-31-2011 11:32 AM

How can you be so careless that you can't keep yourself from waxing the grille or at least taping it off?

Derke 05-31-2011 05:27 PM

I just rub some hydrochloric acid from my chemistry class. Don't tell anyone!

Boomer 06-02-2011 05:40 AM

Regular detail spray will take it off too

1BadBlueSS 07-09-2011 09:29 AM

Peanut butter......dont laugh....it works. The oils in the peanut butter break the wax down. I have tried it and it works.

Reklo87 02-09-2012 07:17 PM

I just use Windex to get the wax off, then water to rise, and then I Armor All the black plastic trim and grille to keep it black. I do have all stock trim still.

KnightSS/TC 02-09-2012 07:24 PM

I have done this before too & learned the hard way after wet sanding and getting the stages of buffing compound off. A good finger rub down usually works ;) but from now on tape it off to avoid the pita of loving finger rub downs lol.