Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

good buffer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
porter cable 7427xp or if you really want a piece of machinary get the flex. porter cables are ***** for doing ANY sort of correction and find it takes way to much time to use a porter cable to even attempt it. anymore then a 2 step polish and wax or sealent application i wouldnt bother using a porter cable except for sealent application. rotarys are the way to go but since your a nub i dont recommend that to you as you can severely damage your paint.

for any beginner detailer i recommend going to a body shop or in your case if you have your old hood laying around and toy around with buffinf to see what works and what you like before going to town on the car itself. atleast then if you mess up its no big deal. you mess up on your car be ready for a trip to the body shop. the porter cables idiot proof anyways. if you mess up with that you shouldnt be detailing
Old 05-01-2011, 10:21 AM

I have a question, do pc permanetly remove swirl marks? Also can a beginner learn real easy, I have a stock hood and trunk in the garage that I can practice on.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Former Vendor

Everyone make this sounds like this is rocket science! anyone can learn! all it takes is time ,patience and the correct products, you can defiantly remove imperfections permanently and you can also avoid inducing them.

heathkidder has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:59 AM

its not rocket science but if you can get some junk panels for free why not? better to test the limits and learn there where its ok to mess up.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by tanelk
I have a question, do pc permanetly remove swirl marks? Also can a beginner learn real easy, I have a stock hood and trunk in the garage that I can practice on.
you can rid a lot of them with good product and good technique but like i said its very time consuming with the porter cable. i think the flex is a better option but the amount of money is costs and you being a beginner i dont think its the best option to start with....my arsonal is pretty out there with a lot of variety for a lot of different paint.... i have found meguiars has some good stuff for the beginner thats pretty much idiot proof

porter cable 7424xp
lake country yellow, orange, white, black and red pads(you dont need them all but they have a great deal on a 6 pack)
meguiars 105
meguiars 205
meguiars synthetic sealent 2.0
meguiars professional clay bar
meguiars last touch or final inspection for lub and whiping
QUALITY MICROFIBER TOWELS

the last part is a huge step, clean pads are a huge step, clean surface is a huge step. avoiding all of these could possibly mean putting swirls back into the finish your are trying to remove them from.

i normally use menzera polishes but the meguiars stuff i use for customers that need a little help in the financial part or just want a good 2 step. i like flex polishers but for rotary and dual ation but the price is a ton of money and i already have other stuff that gets the job done.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:06 PM

one last tip of advice for anyone that has carbon...

check with the owner of the vehicle to see if it has been recleared with automotive clearcoat. if it has not been...DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT BUFFING IT. you will cause a ton of issues with the gel coat later down the road if you keep on buffing it. hazing, yellowing, cracking, etc etc.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Billy Baldone
pm replied. good luck grasshopper.Is that your car in your sig? think it looks pretty nice.I love white cars.
yes its mine thanks
Old 05-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Banned

Porter-Cable 7424XP-LC KIT 6" Car Polisher and Lake Country Pad Kit | Tools Plus

think this is what i am getting what do u think
Old 05-01-2011, 12:18 PM

sub'd
Old 05-01-2011, 12:53 PM

either that or go to autogeek and order the portercable and get their 6 pack of pads and you can choose the pads you buy. you want a red pad for sealent or wax application with no cut.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:44 AM
Banned

i have a ?

looks like i should start out with scratch remover
then go to pre wax, sealer or glaze, and a final wax.

but whats the difference between pre wax and cleaner wax?
Old 05-02-2011, 04:56 AM
Banned

also the microfiber clothes how do you go about washing them or should i just buy new ones after so long? i mean eventually yes but how long should these last me
Old 05-02-2011, 08:23 AM

use microfiber detergent and dry with NO fabric softener
Old 05-02-2011, 08:25 AM

swirl remover
polish
sealant
quality wax
Old 05-02-2011, 11:47 AM

Microfibers all wear out after about 30 washes(wit quality ones) **** poor ones have **** weave and crap edges and wear fast. Cobra makes excellent ones
Old 05-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Banned

can they be washed
Old 05-02-2011, 02:24 PM

Yes they can but use a microfiber detergent.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:34 PM

If you know what you're doing, get the 35 dollar rotary buffer from Harbor freight and buy a different buffing pad. If you don't know what you're doing, get the Porter Cable buffer. Its pretty much impossible to **** up your paint with the Porter Cable because its dual action.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Former Vendor

What is microfiber?

Microfiber is a man-made material that combines polyester and polyamide (a nylon by-product). The polyester gives the material strength and durability, the polyamide allows the fabric to be tremendously absorbent and quick drying.

One strand of microfiber is 10 times finer than silk and 100 times smaller than a human hair. In order for microfiber to be effective for cleaning, the microfiber must be “split.” The special slitting process produces an ultra-fine fiber with wedge shape filaments and a core of nylon. The wedge shape, the nylon core, and the smaller size fiber are the key to their effectiveness. When these tiny fibers are woven together into a cloth through a unique weaving method, the result is a powerful cleaning tool.

Each cloth consists of tens of thousands of tiny storage compartments that lift the dirt up, trap the waste and leave a clean streak-free surface. The nylon core within the microfiber form tiny cutting edges that break up surface dirt and easily absorb and remove oils and other grimy substances. The only solvent you need is water!

Here are the main things to keep in mind for the care and maintenance of microfiber.

For quick cleaning, hand wash with any hand soap or dish washing liquid;
rinse well.

For thorough cleaning use the washing machine. Microfiber loves hot water --
the hotter the better. It makes the microfiber swell to release trapped
dirt. You can use regular laundry detergent such as Tide.

It's best to wash microfiber cloths separately from cotton towels.

Do not use LIQUID bleach or fabric softener.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Banned

thanks no1 really answered my ? about whats the diff. in pre wax and cleaner wax
Old 05-02-2011, 04:02 PM

those are for people who don't give a crap and don't buff or clay bar if you ask me. If you using a polisher with polishes and abrasives you wont need a cleaner wax.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned

so i should use swirl remover then prewax then a sealant then a good quality wax?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by heathkidder
so i should use swirl remover then prewax then a sealant then a good quality wax?
i dont know anyone that uses prewaxs in the detail world. atleast not professionals atleast. like i said i see most of this things being for buys who do not prep their surface before waxing(believe me theres a million people that do this ugh.....)

in all honesty i think you should start with a 2 step polish and a sealent and or wax afterwards.. for the money this is a good combo

clay bar
meguiars m105 orange and yellow pads.
meguiars m205 white and black pads
meguiars machine or show car glaze(optional)
meguairs synthetic sealent 2.0 red pad

its not an expensive combination and lots of dudes use it. personally i use it but i prefer to use menzerna which is quite pricier.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Banned

i thought about meguiars or mothers and in mothers products there step one says pre wax is why i was asking and it wouldnt be an everytime thing basically use swirl remover/polish/sealant/wax?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by heathkidder
i thought about meguiars or mothers and in mothers products there step one says pre wax is why i was asking and it wouldnt be an everytime thing basically use swirl remover/polish/sealant/wax?
you need to understand EVERY product line is different....every persons personal system is different but the basics are the same.

you dont even need to apply wax either.... will it prolong the life of your sealent? sure but let me tell you something. a GOOD sealent with the CORRECT prep will last for months at a time. ive had that meguiars sealent last 3-4 months on end and my car sits outside all year long. ive had higher end sealents last around 5 months. but for 20 bucks a bottle the meguiars stuff does the job for me over a 70+ dollar of swissvax which is some of my favorite stuff. i wouldnt apply wax for 48 hours after applying a sealent.

Quick Reply: good buffer?