Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

High Temp paint additive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Temp paint additive?

I'm looking to paint my brake calipers SRTC but have a few problems... First the standard kits people use such as the G2 only have standard colors. Next I can get the calipers color-matched exactly with regular automotive paint through the paintcode, but I'm worried about the durability and lifespan of the paint if it's not high-temp. So I'm wondering if anyone on here is aware of any additives that can be mixed with regular automotive paint to make the paint high-temp... and if this is non-existent, if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can make this happen. I'm heartset on getting the SRTC color and really don't want to settle for anything less but I guess if there's nothing else I'll have to figure something else out.

Also has anyone painted their calipers with a non-high temp paint and if so how long have you had it/how's it holding up? Pics would be appreciated.
Thanks for any input!
Old 01-29-2010, 03:56 PM

Well it will be hard to get the color you want in paint that is high temp. If you wanted to your brake to match I would highly suggest you try to find a color in powdercoating. That would be your longest lasting choice imo.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:05 PM

why dont u just mix g2 red with a little g2 black. then you can brush it on
Old 01-29-2010, 07:06 PM

powdercoating is definatly a good option but ide think from tightining the bolts it would crack/flake and would fall off pritty fast. there are no addatives for heat ressitance that i know of( i work at a body shop). ive seen covers on the internet( there plastic that snap ontop of ur calapers) then u could paint them and they would work just fine in normal automotive paint.... let me see if i can find them somewhere i forget where they where,.

websight http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/redd...te=google_base
Old 01-29-2010, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't mind either buying new calipers (If you cannot sideline the car to send your stock ones out) or taking your current calipers apart, powdercoating is a great method. Alot of the colored calipers from factory are usually powdercoated due the powdercoat's durability. Powdercoat will outlast paint many times over.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:55 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I had my wheels powdercoated and I definitely agree that would be the most durable method, my problem is that I can't sideline the car as it's my dd and only means of transportation. I was hoping that with a good tape-off job I could shoot the calipers with paint while they were still on the car.

Note: I think I solved my own problem, G2 offers a color match kit for $100 bucks that they match your paintcode exactly. So if anyone's interested in doing this themselves it's on their website. Thanks again for your input; I think I'm going to go this route though
Old 01-31-2010, 02:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nelson
Thanks for the responses guys. I had my wheels powdercoated and I definitely agree that would be the most durable method, my problem is that I can't sideline the car as it's my dd and only means of transportation. I was hoping that with a good tape-off job I could shoot the calipers with paint while they were still on the car.

Note: I think I solved my own problem, G2 offers a color match kit for $100 bucks that they match your paintcode exactly. So if anyone's interested in doing this themselves it's on their website. Thanks again for your input; I think I'm going to go this route though
i wouldnt even waste money on having them try and match the paint.....get their red and call it a day. heres the reason. Red has some of the wierdest fading characteristics of any color. Also gm like all other car manufactuers are a bunch of idiots when it comes to paint. you figure they paint all red cars, then blue, then black etc...not the case. they paint 1 red then 1 yellow, 1 black, 1 pink, 1 red, 1 orange and so forth with 30 second intervals between cars to wash out the guns. there for being some of the last color in your paint. if you give them your paint code they will put it in their computer and get a bunch of variants to choose from.....if they dont have your car or a piece from it there is no way for a defiante color match and this is why body shops charge tint time on colors and this is another reason why red paints tend to cost more. it might be a close match but i dont think you will notice a huge difference between the red they sell and your car. just my opinion here.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:26 AM

one can people tell me why your call the SS/ST an SRTC....i mean where the f are you getting the damn r it been buggin me and i had to ask lol, and umm yeah god good luch getting color matced high temp paint, your golden if you got a black red blue or yellow car. and why just why would you want to ruin your pretty brembos my painting them.... just a question, i know you might be able to get high temp paint on ebay that will be close to match the fromt brembos to paint your rears. but man dont paint the brembos.....
Old 01-31-2010, 02:43 AM

^^ I'm guessing he means Sport Red Tint Coat.

To OP, I painted my calipers using regular enamel paint to paint my calipers SOM. They held up quite well after 2 years. The only problem is that the salt started to attack it a bit so i re-did them, this time using a silver caliper paint as a base.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by midnight02
^^ I'm guessing he means Sport Red Tint Coat.
umm i dont think soo i hve seen a kid call his 09ss/tc this too and it was just a red on ericgt89
there are a few other i have seen to that weren't red too it just baffels me where they are getting this R from is a SS/TC lol
Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 PM

umm he does mean sport red tint coat?

in his sig he says he has a SRTC SS. Sport Red Tint Coat SS

really, just buy red and black and put a dab of black in the red and mix it. you can match the color how you see fit
Old 01-31-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 08ShowbaltLS
umm he does mean sport red tint coat?

in his sig he says he has a SRTC SS. Sport Red Tint Coat SS

really, just buy red and black and put a dab of black in the red and mix it. you can match the color how you see fit
Yeah thanks for clearing that up on the SRTC for the other people... People need to realize that there are people on this site that actually know what they are talking about and make sure their posts make sense before they put them out there.

i wouldnt even waste money on having them try and match the paint.....get their red and call it a day. heres the reason. Red has some of the wierdest fading characteristics of any color. Also gm like all other car manufactuers are a bunch of idiots when it comes to paint. you figure they paint all red cars, then blue, then black etc...not the case. they paint 1 red then 1 yellow, 1 black, 1 pink, 1 red, 1 orange and so forth with 30 second intervals between cars to wash out the guns. there for being some of the last color in your paint. if you give them your paint code they will put it in their computer and get a bunch of variants to choose from.....if they dont have your car or a piece from it there is no way for a defiante color match and this is why body shops charge tint time on colors and this is another reason why red paints tend to cost more. it might be a close match but i dont think you will notice a huge difference between the red they sell and your car. just my opinion here.
I know what you mean and I would be leery myself if I had not already experienced other attempts with paintmatching to code. I have connections to a body shop and I did my interior pieces colormatched to the paintcode of my car and in comparison they are almost identical if not absolutely identical, as the paintcode should perform I guess lol. I requested a quote through G2 and I'll see what they have to say about how close the end result will be. I appreciate your info though.

To midnight, thanks for the info on regular paint, if G2 doesn't come through on this, I'll probably just get them done with regular enamel paint... I can basically get anything I wanted done up for free paintwise... it's just my time and labor. So if worse came to worse I really wouldn't mind shooting them again in a year or two.

Note: Just for clarification, I would normally just accept the red paint G2 offers but I'm going for a 2 tone theme... everything either gloss black or Sport Red Tint Coat. As I stated before, I've already redone my interior pieces to SRTC, and I will have my badges, grills/mesh pieces (front and rear), tails, markers, and trunk keyhole all blacked out. I have a set of SSTC rims that I just got powdercoated gloss black as well... so to complete the car, I think the SRTC calipers would leave me with a real clean look and pretty much have a "one off" seeing that most people stick to standard color options in the caliper painting if they even do so at all.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Banned

regular enamel wont handle the temps. im painting my brembos specifically because i dont want the brembo logo on there. people think my car is a supercharged car until they see those things. so why not mess with them a bit.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:08 PM

Update: G2 says they can't do it...

"I would like to thank you for your interest in our custom color match
program, unfortunately however we will not be able to provide a high
temperature brake caliper paint kit for your 2008 Chevy Cobalt Sport Red
Tricoat - 29/WA964L. This color is a tri-coat and cannot be replicated as a
two part epoxy. Sorry.

Regards,
Bill Hengst"

So at this point I'm probably going to just shoot the calipers with regular enamel paint and use a brembo stencil and shoot that in either white or black... not sure yet. I'm bummed that G2 can't duplicate my paint in a high temp. I figure if I have to reshoot the calipers with regular paint in a year or two... no biggie... Now I just need to wait for all the damn snow and salt to get out of here so I can get the car done!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Banned

yeah i actually just looks up that color today......tri-coat......some paint companies come up with a 2 stage formula though but most dont. they sell brembo stickers on ebay ive seen guys use. also i would just use caliper paint or header paint. a spray can enamel wont take the heat and will blister right away.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 PM

if your really going to paint your brembos i would say to the powder coating its your best way to go in my opinion and just get some stickers that say brembos
Old 08-17-2010, 01:42 AM

Well I figured I'd give an update... I decided to go ahead and paint the calipers (front and rear) SRTC. I can take more pics later (sorry for cell phone quality) but it shows the gist of it. https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/sho...p?i=75235&c=30