Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

How to get your car looking newer than NEW

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mothers canuba in the flat tin when i have a few hours to really go hard....
or Eagle 1 Nano spray for a quick shine.

seriously man, those brushes are harsh on a paintjob, you spend all that time being so kind and polishing her up with soft wax....dont put that nasty broom on her and scrub,
Old 06-28-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah those brushes are death to a car's paint. the only thing i use at those places is their water. seriously

Originally Posted by rrutter81
Used the brush for 3 years...no issues on my paint.

Btw, G what wax do you use?
hey G, what color was your car

Last edited by hatrickstu; 06-28-2007 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea, i would say that majority of people here have just as shiny, or shinier cars. most people would not touch armor all either.

your car does look good though.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:44 PM

Btw, G what wax do you use?
i do:
1.) hand wash with either dish soap or Turtle Wax soap
2.) Mother's clay bar (in red box, found it at Wally World for $15, compared to AutoZone for $25-$30)
3.) Meguiar's Yellow #7 show car polish
4.) Mother's Carnauba cleaner wax (small bottle comes in Mother's clay kit, enough for about 2 cars)
5.) 2 applications of wax, i do one of the below combinations;
5a.) 2 applications of Meguiar's Gold Class wax, OR
5b.) 2 applications of Meguiar's NXT Generation wax, OR
5c.) 1 application Turtle Wax black wax, then 1 application of either Gold Class or NXT Tech wax
6.) go over car light to medium pressure with a polishing cloth

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
hey G, what color was your car
which car???
Old 06-28-2007, 08:44 PM

mothers carnuba:

Old 06-28-2007, 08:50 PM

^^^you cheated, you used bright sunlight in your pics lol jk
Old 06-28-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by GSoccer24
i do:
1.) hand wash with either dish soap or Turtle Wax soap
2.) Mother's clay bar (in red box, found it at Wally World for $15, compared to AutoZone for $25-$30)
3.) Meguiar's Yellow #7 show car polish
4.) Mother's Carnauba cleaner wax (small bottle comes in Mother's clay kit, enough for about 2 cars)
5.) 2 applications of wax, i do one of the below combinations;
5a.) 2 applications of Meguiar's Gold Class wax, OR
5b.) 2 applications of Meguiar's NXT Generation wax, OR
5c.) 1 application Turtle Wax black wax, then 1 application of either Gold Class or NXT Tech wax
6.) go over car light to medium pressure with a polishing cloth

which car???
i was talking to the guy who was talking about how badass the brushes at the car wash were

Originally Posted by an0malous
mothers carnuba:
factory orange peel FTW?

Last edited by hatrickstu; 06-28-2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-28-2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
i was talking to the guy who was talking about how badass the brushes at the car wash were

factory orange peel FTW?
orange peel ftw!

thats the only thing stopping that shot from being a mirror.
its still one of my favorite pics though
Old 07-01-2007, 12:57 AM
Banned

After hitting up florida I bought mother's claybar, cleaner wax, ngx polymer wax,and the absorber.

Claybar is pretty good and does a great job as does the cleaner wax. Im actually quite impressed with the stuff. The cleaner wax acts the same as KIT's wax although it does give a bit more of a "deeper" shine and no residue!

The NGX crap that I used for protectant does a good job protecting but god it dulls the hell out of the clearcoat and you have to look at it directly against the paint to remove all of the slight discoloration of the residue. If your patient and dont mind buffing forever its good stuff..

BTW GET THE ABSORBER OMFG that thing is wicked weird and works!
Old 07-01-2007, 01:05 AM

well i use rainx wash and wax on my balt. is that bad ?
Old 07-01-2007, 01:20 AM

Do you guys have any tips for getting scratches out? I'm not sure exactly how "deep" they are, but basically they were put on from improper detailing methods (long story). Here's some pics of my car:

I'm no paint expert, but I think my paint is pretty much a lost cause. Basically what happened was that my car fell victim to some epoxy overspray from a nearby construction site. Their insurance co. said they'd take care of it, sent me to a detailer who ended up scratching the **** out of my paint in the process of getting the epoxy off. I was pissed, so I took it to the Chevy dealer to fix the scratches (still covered under the construction co. insurance). I thought they would be professionals and could offer some type of warranty on the work done. Boy was I was wrong. The dealer's body shop could not get out the scratches after at least a half dozen tries at polishing, clay bar, waxing, glaze, etc. and having the car for over a month. I tried to get them to repaint the car, or at least put a new clear coat on the car, but they just kept giving me the "black cars are hard to get clean" and "black cars show scratches no matter what" bullshit. I'm still trying to get Chevy customer service to do something about it, but I don't think it will go anywhere, and after all that, I still have no warranty on my clearcoat or lack thereof.

Any advice for getting light scratches out would be helpful. I've tried Meguiar's Scratch-X to no avail, but have not tried an orbital buffer w/ compound yet, because I am a novice, and don't want to harm the paint any more. Thanks for the help/advice guys, I'd really appreciate it.

p.s. This all happened about 2 months after I got my car last year, so I don't really know what the paint should look like on a new car.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:44 AM

I dont know what you guys have against armor all it is great on our cheap interior plastic. I dont agree with using it on the exterior plastic as Mother back to black is by far the best product for exterior black plastic like our mirrors and wiper plate.

I also agree not to use the was brush at car washes, I use the low pressure rinse to wet the car and get loose dirt/dust off, then I bucket was it with Meguires wash/conditioner and a microfibre mitt (if ur local coin wash has a sign that says no bucket washing well just ignore the sign and the guy who works there who cant speak english will go away if you ignore him).

The only question I have is what is a good ligh scratch remover or rubbing compound?

BC balt tip: Saving paper and having clean fakin windows is use newpaper it is the shiate. Many detail shops use newspaper to do the window, you hand will have ink on them but your window will be crystal clear (Dont use newspaper with colur ink on it)
Old 07-01-2007, 03:08 AM

Props on taking pointers0and constructive critisim! I'd never use a car wash brush either!
Old 07-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Banned

I bought Mcquires X-Scratch stuff and it doesnt do anything.... Get scratchout by KIT... Im serious it will make those scratches dissappear really well for a month or so. As far as permanent removal.... I have no idea and would like to know.

Second note: Im not using the NGX wax polymer again.... it sucks, I had to use cleaner wax to get it off because it sucked so bad. Mother's detailer is OMFG awesome for touchups in the morning if you dont have a garage!
Old 07-01-2007, 12:18 PM

for a month? does not sound like too good of a product then...

and kit wax blows chunks
Old 07-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Banned

and you have what that does better? not being constructive there
Old 07-01-2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by juststickit124
I'm sorry but I disagree with your car washing techniques, sorry to flame but hopefully you can listen with an open mind, it will keep your cars paint in better condition.

First dont spray with high pressure, go low pressure first, high pressure just pushes the dirt into your paint more, let it sheet off a little before high pressure. Especially with black cars.

Never use the same brush to do your wheels and car, and always do wheels first to avoid contamination between wheel cleaner touching your paint and keeping your car wet for the least amount of time to prevent water spots, it's also best to do the engine at this time to, with low pressure water.

Then go to the paint with a thick sponge from top to bottom, doing the lower half of the car last. Rinse from top to bottom low pressure first to get the dirt sheeted on, then hit it with high pressure.

why wouldn't you completely dry your car before driving? Don't use beach towels, they are not thick. The thicker the towel the more distance the dirt travels inward, to avoid scratching the paint, micro fibers are always the best to try, drying the bottom half and wheel wells last.

And you should always wax your car immediately after washing, if you drive home, you've just attracted more dirt to your surface that will scratch.

And I don't like Armor All Products at all, sure they look nice but they are oil based meaning if you don't baby it and keep treating it regularly, it will dry out the plastic leaving it white and faded. Try using water based/silicone based products, they make the plastic/rubber look newer and not greasy, plus you can mix them with water so they can last longer, and they aren't bad for your paint like oil based products.

little hint, our wheels are painted so you can use wax on them to keep brake dust from building up too much, and it will come off a lot easier next wash.

Well I hope this helps, I'm not trying to flame you. And yes, I detail cars. Try out my tips next time and let me know what you think.

Great write up though! Keep it clean!!!

i agree with you on this one. /\/\ .i am not tryin to flame or be a dick, but if your gonna spend the time to clean the car. clean it right.. but nice right up on the other hand check out my post on how to wash and detail, sorry not tryin to thread jack ya here.. just some good tips on how to keep a concourse clean ride..

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show-shine-140/caspers-car-wash-how-59658/.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:35 PM

Yeah, does anybody know the best way to get light scratches/swirl marks out of black paint? My earlier post probably got lost in the thread, but it has pics and is on page 2. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:41 PM

turtle wax ice wash
mr absorber
merguiars nxt wax
mothers clay bar
merguiars tire hot shine
skills
Old 07-01-2007, 01:16 PM

and you have what that does better? not being constructive there
either nxt tech wax, zaino.. or my personal fav.. jaxwax
Old 07-01-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by N8s07SS
Yeah, does anybody know the best way to get light scratches/swirl marks out of black paint? My earlier post probably got lost in the thread, but it has pics and is on page 2. Thanks.
i use the wolfgang swirl remover products. auto geek has a good price on a kit that would work for what you are looking to do.. it works pretty good.. just like my black car. its a real bitch to clean and keep clean..

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-swirl-kit.html
Old 07-01-2007, 04:14 PM

I'd be willing to take that detailing bet.

MDub, your car looks awesome man! Mother products for the WIN!
Old 07-01-2007, 04:23 PM

Thanks guys! I love gettin' props on my clean ride!

My Clay Bar process: Dish Soap (for getting old wax off!), I do a quick wash, to remove dirt and grime, then I clay bar it, using instant detailer for the "loOb", wipe car down, removing any dirt or residue, then a good cleaner wax, a good wax (I usually use Mothers FX), and then a POLISH (yes they are different!). That is my typical clay bar method! Other than the clay bar days, it is a wash (meguiars NXT wash), I use either an absorber or a microfiber drying towel, and work from the top of the car down! Doing wheels last!
And for that it is Meguiars Xtreme shine Gel, for me tires! And then a quick wipe down of the leather!
Old 07-01-2007, 04:29 PM

*****Juststickit124's tip: After your car is all sudsy soapy and looks a bit soaked, !!!!!!!!!!!Rinse off the manual brush!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Mud boggers could have used it, or someone like me could have used the brush on their rims too!)

/\ /\ THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP!!! You should see my friends "black" eclipse.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blankobalt06
*****Juststickit124's tip: After your car is all sudsy soapy and looks a bit soaked, !!!!!!!!!!!Rinse off the manual brush!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Mud boggers could have used it, or someone like me could have used the brush on their rims too!)

/\ /\ THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP!!! You should see my friends "black" eclipse.
For all you guys dissing the "brush"..... this is what I think of it (2005 model)

LOL you be judge...btw taken yesterday while I was in Florida.

Originally Posted by SK360
either nxt tech wax, zaino.. or my personal fav.. jaxwax
NXT is such crap. LOL I had to remove it with a claybar it was so awful. Ill take a pic of what that wax looks like in comparison to KIT's in a side by side with my hood. It is THAT awful

Last edited by rrutter81; 07-01-2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: How to get your car looking newer than NEW