Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Show & Shine (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show-shine-140/)
-   -   Rock chips anyone? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show-shine-140/rock-chips-anyone-40177/)

07cobaltss 12-06-2006 01:56 PM

Rock chips anyone?

ok just today after washing my car i noticed i have a quater inch rock chip near my left hand light:cussing: ...anyone else getting chips? i got an estimate and they said 225 to repaint my hood, i think i'm gunna get it done.. thats such a fuckin buzz kill to see, i've only owned my car for like a month! :cussing:

greekss 12-06-2006 02:00 PM

yea i got a nice one dead center...a little wax should buff it out tho...if its not that bad i'd bank the cash, deal with it, do some power mods. then get it fixed down the road b/c thats guranteed not the last one you will get

kingg5 12-06-2006 02:05 PM

ive got one on the inside of my drivers side door handle...:(

omgshesaboy 12-06-2006 02:05 PM

no..

Originally Posted by greekss
yea i got a nice one dead center...a little wax should buff it out tho...if its not that bad i'd bank the cash, deal with it, do some power mods. then get it fixed down the road b/c thats guranteed not the last one you will get

naw man, wax wont do anything to those rock chips.. gonna have to get it painted.. but dont do it now, cause your bound to get more, spend the money on power mods now, next year when you have 6 or 7 more chips get your hood repainted..

just my thoughts

xtremeGM 12-06-2006 02:12 PM

I'm starting to have the same problem....I'm not going to worry about it right now

07cobaltss 12-06-2006 02:13 PM

god thats fucking gay... such a downer to my day =(... not sure what to do i'll prolly get more as you all said, but it might be more costly to wait when they may have to fix dents in the hood =\

omgshesaboy 12-06-2006 02:14 PM

get a CF hood..

biohazard 12-06-2006 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by omgshesaboy
get a CF hood..

2 rock chips in my cf hood..... 1 chip on my roof right before my sunroof all the way down to the metal

OniMirage 12-06-2006 02:23 PM

i have several cus of the damn inner city redevelopment going on in phx so all the worker trucks and cement trucks drive on the freeway kicking up dirt and rocks

HickOverLOrd 12-06-2006 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by OniMirage
i have several cus of the damn inner city redevelopment going on in phx so all the worker trucks and cement trucks drive on the freeway kicking up dirt and rocks

I hear ya on that one. It aint much better in vegas. I have 3 on the bumper, 4 on the hood and 3 on the roof and the radiator should be completely dented in about 8 months. lol

07cobaltss 12-06-2006 02:33 PM

so in the end i shouldnt get it fixed?

OniMirage 12-06-2006 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by 07cobaltss
so in the end i shouldnt get it fixed?

work from the inside out since it will be more cost effective. I coulda got my car painted lasted year but I have quite a few new chips since then so if I did repaint it back when I woulda just wasted money

xtremeGM 12-06-2006 02:56 PM

I wouldnt do anything right now man expecially with winter coming and you being in ft wayne the winter is bad enough in indy but my parents have a lake house in northern indiana and its a lot worse there

07cobaltss 12-06-2006 02:57 PM

k how about just doing the ssc lowering springs then?

G5GT2007 12-06-2006 03:02 PM

i got one right on the tip of the hood right over the pontiac sign over the front and i got one on the passanger side fender.

DaREDss 12-06-2006 03:05 PM

i got 2 also one on each side right over the rear wheel wells. Yeah dude dont get em fixed get the touch up paint from the dealer for 9 bucks and save ur money 225 dollars cud be better spent

cds00bsmg 12-06-2006 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by DaREDss
i got 2 also one on each side right over the rear wheel wells. Yeah dude dont get em fixed get the touch up paint from the dealer for 9 bucks and save ur money 225 dollars cud be better spent

Precisely the thing I'd reccomend. Unless you are that incredibly anal about your paint. The car is bound to get stone chips if you drive it on the highway, or drive it period. Its just something you'll have to live with. Yea, it sucks donkey cock, but thats how it works.

Be thankfull a semi didn't whip a golfball sized rock at your windshield or something.....

YSUsteven 12-06-2006 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by DaREDss

I got some mixed at my dealers paint shop, small bottle with a brush, for free. My dealer is ausome. Then Chevy sent my a factory touch up paint bottle about a month later. Am I the only one to get touch up paint for free???

1ecoss 12-07-2006 08:32 PM

the best investment that I have made this year is a clear bra. keeps the front end nice and clean. check out this link. this stuff works amazing. my buddy has it and it works great.
http://www.langka.com/the-blob-eliminator-p-31.html

jonathan25 12-28-2006 04:17 PM

The day I picked up my car I drove my boy to the airport and was so happy to be on the interstate. I didnt evan know how close i was to this big ass dump truck. This rock fell out, hit my hood, scrached the paint all the way to bare mettal. Next hit the glass, and up to the roof.

monkeiboy 12-28-2006 04:43 PM

I had one on the interstate. I watched an 18 Wheeler kicked up a rock as I was passing and I hear thunk on the front of the car. I was almost in tears. When i got to where I was going..no marks anywhere.
About three weeks later I was washing my car and I found a deep gouge in one of the plastic headlight covers. Guess I lucked out on that one:lol:

celicacobalt 12-28-2006 04:44 PM

yeah daily driving your project car sux, like i noticed the otherday i have a chunkripped into my front bumber lip and tons of tar spots from all the damn construction, i plan on repainting the car a nicer red after i pay it off in 5 years then it willbe worth it.

CTSSBowtie 12-28-2006 04:59 PM

This time of year the best thing is to just get one of those bras for the front end... may look cheesy but it will save you body work later on. i may just leave mine on tho...in maine the rock issue is year round.

OniMirage 12-28-2006 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by celicacobalt
yeah daily driving your project car sux, like i noticed the otherday i have a chunkripped into my front bumber lip and tons of tar spots from all the damn construction, i plan on repainting the car a nicer red after i pay it off in 5 years then it willbe worth it.

that sounds exactly like my plan. I wanna get an incondesant (spelling) coat and mix in some deep dark red as a base. I figure it would look good cus my interior is red on black from the factory. ima put a whole lot of clear on it cus I want it to shine like no other

Sketchy 12-29-2006 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by 1ecoss (Post 665177)
the best investment that I have made this year is a clear bra. keeps the front end nice and clean. check out this link. this stuff works amazing. my buddy has it and it works great.
http://www.langka.com/the-blob-eliminator-p-31.html

Definately agree on the clear bra. My dad had one on his rx8 and it was amazing. It makes it so much easier to get the bugs off. If a rock did hit your car, all it did was leave a small scratch in the plastic.