Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Frequent continue to crank with key released

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 07:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Frequent continue to crank with key released

09 Turbo Car, I have a frequent problem with the starter cranking on its own when I release the key, when it does this the car does not want to start, I have to turn key off and try again sometimes several times before car will start, after it does everything is fine. Being old school I suspected starter solenoid so I replaced starter, no help, replaced ignition starter switch, no help, replaced bad battery, no help, swapped relays around and I got 4 no problem starts yesterday but the gremlin was back this morning. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the starter. They automatically crank until the engine fires, even if you let off the key. The no or slow start on the other hand may be another issue? Unless I am misunderstanding the problem?
Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by cw383
There is nothing wrong with the starter. They automatically crank until the engine fires, even if you let off the key. The no or slow start on the other hand may be another issue? Unless I am misunderstanding the problem?
I think you understand the problem and the problem could be with whatever device sends a signal or fire for the engine to start, I put this engine in new year before last so sensors should be good but who knows.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:42 AM

Being ignorant to modern starting systems I think I may have been looking at this as a starter or starter component problem when I now think it is a slow to start problem since the starter is supposed to spin until engine starts. I have no codes , I think the new engine is a LDK and not an LNF and it now has 50K miles on it. It came with all sensors and high pressure fuel pump.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
U do realize thats how car works no? It will crank till it starts if key is released.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by tomj77
U do realize thats how car works no? It will crank till it starts if key is released.
Yes I know now but instead of a starter problem I now have a no start, or slow to start problem that still has to be fixed.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by sixgear
Yes I know now but instead of a starter problem I now have a no start, or slow to start problem that still has to be fixed.
Hit it with a hammer lol
Old 05-03-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
No start/slow to start could be a ton of things. Bad spark plugs, failing fuel pump, not getting air, compression problems, etc. I would start with plugs then check fueling next. With no codes it is going to be trial an error so I would start with the easiest to check/replace first and move on from there.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Check for RPM signal when cranking. Does the tach come up a little while it's doing it's extended crank?

Next, check fuel pressure. On a DI engine, the high pressure pump is run by the cam so the engine has to physically turn to build up real fuel pressure. If the system is bleeding down when the car is off, it will take a couple rotations to generate enough fuel pressure to start the engine.

I would start diagnosing there first. Don't just continue to throw parts at it.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Check for RPM signal when cranking. Does the tach come up a little while it's doing it's extended crank?

Next, check fuel pressure. On a DI engine, the high pressure pump is run by the cam so the engine has to physically turn to build up real fuel pressure. If the system is bleeding down when the car is off, it will take a couple rotations to generate enough fuel pressure to start the engine.

I would start diagnosing there first. Don't just continue to throw parts at it.
Just submitted new post, Fuel pulse dampener. The fuel pressure is good and seems to start ok if I cycle key a couple times to let pressure build, I will have to do this several more times before I think I have found something, engine is a LDK and has 50K miles on it so coils, spark plugs have 50k, high pressure pump and dampener have 180k