New Members Check In!! If you're new to CobaltSS, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Cobalt!!

Newbie looking for info on SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie looking for info on SS/TC

Hey guys, i dont own one yet but looking to get one in the next couple of months. Looking to trade in my '11 Silverado and off load some debt and get an 09 SS/TC

Ive found a few of them going for between 8k and 12k CDN. The one im looking at seems pretty much stock, around 100000km. Im just wondering what are some of the things to be looking for when getting one and what are some of the issues that the community has had their TC cars. I see the charge pipes coming loose and rear brakes scoring and wearing prematurely. what are some other issues that are common with the SS/TC cars or even just Cobalts in general, body rot from winter driving etc?

Last edited by suny; 04-26-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
take a look around the 2.0 LNF problems and issues forum that can point you in the right direction. Good luck in your search, I hope you find what your looking for. Are you planning on modding and tuning the car? You may want to check out the market place for a complete cobalt that may be already suited to what you want
The following users liked this post:
suny (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
They're reliable engines as long as you don't have a porous block. Only affected a very small amount of cars. Do a Google.

I'd loo for noises from suspension, brakes, sway bars, wheel bearings.
The following users liked this post:
suny (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 06:24 PM

My plan is to keep the car stock. I already have a project truck that i have a stockade of parts, i just need a garage to work out of for that one. So im looking for something reliable and fun to drive.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Definitely find a stock one.. That is key for reliability. I searched in AB for about 6 months and eventually found a Stock Coupe from the original owner, completely stock with all records from the previous owner.

They are pretty reliable cars, just look for one that has been taken care of. Also, it is really easy and cheap to find parts if you need to replace something.

As far as body rot, it is not really an issue unless the car is driven in a province that heavily uses salt (ontario and quebec).. look for rust on the inside of the door at the bottom. Look for rust on the pinch welds along the frame (you need to look past the side skirt).

Try to find a car with the G85 option (LSD). You can check the trunk to find the option list. 09+ is also less likely to suffer form the porous block issue. And 2010 is the best year because it came with all options (G85, RPD, sunroof and USB). Sedan was only available for 2009 and they are pretty rare.

The front Brembo brake caliper pins tend to get stuck in the caliper. Not really a big deal but it is a good idea to be pushing the pins out once a year and apply anti seize. Rear brake calipers, the caliper pins need to be greased often (once a year) but this is really easy to do.

Control Arm Bushings are a common failure on the cobalt (any model). They are relatively easy to replace, I replaced mine with a stronger bushing from Moog (40$). You can also buy a higher end CAB from Powell for 200 CAD.

If you do winter drive, you will need 17" or larger wheels to clear the calipers. I went with a set of SS/SC wheels that I found on Kijiji for 150$ (had to run 5mm spacers).

Other then these minor issues, the LNF is pretty bulletproof in stock form and it is a lot of fun. Get used to creaks and rattles though. I just turn the radio up louder haha. I took mine last year on a 5k trip from Edmonton to Portland to Vancouver/Whistler and then back to Edmonton. It was a blast and very comfortable for the whole ride.
The following 2 users liked this post by mzspd:
cluelessk (04-30-2017), suny (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 01:08 PM

funny you should mention the sedan ive found 3 since ive started looking a few months ago. on the plus side atleast you know they havent been modified!

i have given it a quick consideration, sedans are cheaper on insurance than coupes since they arent as conspicuous.

GM still hasnt figured out their control arm bushings??? As a former GM tech that was one awesome gravy job to have come into the shop.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by suny
funny you should mention the sedan ive found 3 since ive started looking a few months ago. on the plus side atleast you know they havent been modified!

i have given it a quick consideration, sedans are cheaper on insurance than coupes since they arent as conspicuous.

GM still hasnt figured out their control arm bushings??? As a former GM tech that was one awesome gravy job to have come into the shop.
The original bushings are absolute garbage.