Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Head gasket surface

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head gasket surface

So had to remove the cylinder head thanks to a spark plug, and I was looking for advice on getting the head surfaces cleaner, I'm sure where it's at now isn't quite good enough. Spent a good 4 hours on the head and block separately, razor blade, brake cleaner and acetone don't get anything else off so I'm wondering if it's corrosion but not sure. Here's where I'm at so far: both have an almost chalkboard feel and fingernail doesn't catch on anything.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
I can't tell you for sure what is "clean enough" but I usually take my head by a machine shop and have them prep and check the head. Cost me about $50 but if you are trading that for 4 hours labor as well as for piece of mind I think it is worth it. Just something to consider.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
get the head decked and use grey scotch bright pad on the block
Old 08-22-2017, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my questions are then:

How much can be milled before timing becomes an issue, I've read elsewhere that around 10 thou = 1 degree off?

yes it retards cam timing you wont see a performance drop from it

I know our P2V clearances are tight on our engine, but this should be the first time her heads been off. Is there a rough estimate on how much max can be milled before that becomes an issue?

its not as tight as you think

Isn't scotch bright not recommended on an assembled block due to the fine grit that the oil filter cannot catch?

you are not going to get material so small that the filter wont catch it so use some common sense

your thread was moved to the correct forum subsection

Last edited by mrbelvedere; 08-25-2017 at 07:36 AM.