08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

hahn intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
hahn intake

u guys no if it'll set a code? was gonna get the zzp one today but they're out of stock on em
Old 09-20-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
From my understanding, most of the intakes for this car will throw lean codes eventually without a tune. Guys have gotten away with it, especially on the K&N as the odd filter shape allows you to "half ass" adjust the trims to a point where it won't throw a code, but a tune is suggested sooner than later.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:20 AM

thats the plan i just wanna get as many boltons as i can b4 getting it tuned. i figure anything the car has to be tuned for immediatly i can just do the day b4 i get it tuned n only drive it the 1 time to get it tuned but im not sure what parts will be in that category lol im guessing a bigger intercooler id need the tune immediatly same with 3 bar map sensors but thats all i can think of where the car wil run like garbage without a tune
Old 09-20-2017, 09:31 AM

The intercooler won't need a retune for, same for charge pipes if you do them. If you're going to do an intake and 3-bar maps, you can just install them the day before or morning of your tuning session, and drive over. Just make sure to stay out of boost with the 3-bars until they're tuned for.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by Tdubbs
The intercooler won't need a retune for, same for charge pipes if you do them. If you're going to do an intake and 3-bar maps, you can just install them the day before or morning of your tuning session, and drive over. Just make sure to stay out of boost with the 3-bars until they're tuned for.
This. Just because you bought it doesn't mean you have to install it.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:24 PM

right thats why im asking these questions i dont wanna put something on that i need a tune for til im ready for the tune lol now just lookin for opinions here should i get a bigger intercooler and 3 bars even tho im only on the stock turbo? im just wondering if its overkill also was wonderin if the stock pcm can be tuned er if i need an aftermarket one
Old 09-20-2017, 08:11 PM

The intercooler and upper charge pipe are good upgrades in terms of reliability. The plastic end tanks on the intercooler and the upper charge pipe like to crack. 3-bars are worth it for a more accurate reading of higher boost levels usually associated with a tune. As to the pcm, stock one is tuneable, so no need for an aftermarket one. Just get HPTuned by someone who knows the platform well.