Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Stupid PCV

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Stupid PCV

I've finally begun to understand how stupid the PCV system really is. It's almost like it's designed to kill the engine over time. One venting back into the intake, one venting into the intake manifold and then slowly into the cylinders and one venting to the exhaust manifold\02 housing maybe?? Not quite sure where that one vents internally but I'm sure it causes gunk buildup like the rest of them. There should be some kind of filtering system for all of them. I have done my valves numerous times but it just doesn't sit right with me knowing all that oil is venting into the intake manifold and into the cylinders wearing them out prematurely. Ive already got one catch can ready to hook up and I know there will be somebody who's going to comment about me not listening to them regarding tampering with pressure in the system and blah blah blah. I'm waiting on Powell to get back to me about his V.3 system and I don't really care how much it costs at this point. I want a clean, fuel burning engine.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
The line at your intake right after the MAF is the fresh air inlet. There is an outlet at the compressor inlet that allows negative pressure during boost. The other outlet is the intake manifold, which is active during vacuum.

The system itself actually works fine. The problem is that direct injection does not wash the intake valves like port injection does, that's why the valves coke up. If you want to see a crappy solution to the boosted PCV problem, take a look at a VW TSI engine. They have a crappy PCV valve system AND intake valve coking.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:02 AM

What about the blow by in the intake or at the compressor?. I know there isn't that much but still, bothers me
Old 02-19-2018, 11:11 AM

Yes, there are oil vapors in the PCV gas. I was just pointing out that our system isn't any worse than anyone else's. It's actually a clever design since it only uses one-way check valves and baffles to function. The true cause is the lack of port injection, not the PCV design. Like you said, Powell's latest system is the best to likely cure it. I haven't seen any 50K+ mile pictures of valves to see the results of using the separator, though. A lot of the coking is likely due to valve overlap as well, and the separator won't help with that. It will just reduce the oil vapors in the intake.

Ever seen the inside of ANY car's IM after 100,000 miles? It's gross.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:33 AM

Yeah I guess your right. I was just venting kinda lol.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:35 AM

Venting...lol
Old 02-19-2018, 11:37 AM

Yeah Haha. Negatively but I feel positive now
Old 02-19-2018, 11:40 AM

i like puns
Old 02-19-2018, 12:12 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
there are a whole bunch of other direct injected cars out there with the valve coking problem, its why ford has no gone to dual injection (port and direct) on the new ecoboost v6, with more vehicles.

my solution to it (if i had a DI vehicle) would be to just run a lot of water/meth.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
there are a whole bunch of other direct injected cars out there with the valve coking problem, its why ford has no gone to dual injection (port and direct) on the new ecoboost v6, with more vehicles.

my solution to it (if i had a DI vehicle) would be to just run a lot of water/meth.
Running meth is far more expensive than just getting Powell's separator system that runs back to the oil pan isn't it?
Old 02-19-2018, 02:41 PM

meth has other benefits though, like cooling and raising the octane levels. really the cleaning effect is a side benefit.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:51 PM

meth has other benefits though, like cooling and raising the octane levels. really the cleaning effect is a side benefit.
Yeah, I know a guy who ran meth and he had issues with his fan staying on and overheating but that could simply be a thermostat
Old 02-19-2018, 02:58 PM

those issues have absolutely nothing to do with running meth.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:07 PM

those issues have absolutely nothing to do with running meth.
Yeah I figured lol. He's one of those guys who just kind of slaps it all together and hopes it works but doesn't address other issues first
Old 02-19-2018, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
I need to install my meth kit but don't feel to confident on tapping the cp myself haha knowing me something so simple I'll screw it up
Old 02-19-2018, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Snail_SS
I need to install my meth kit but don't feel to confident on tapping the cp myself haha knowing me something so simple I'll screw it up
I'm kinda new with running meth. But from what I've seen, aren't there injectors mounted on the manifold? Therefore your running meth and gas, or is it just straight meth?
Old 02-19-2018, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
wow u definitely don't understand how the pcv system works lol.

the one on the intake draws clean air into crank case, has a check valve so no oil or air can come the other way. the one that goes to the turbo is where the crank case is vented, the air is drawn through via the suction of the turbo. the one in the intake manifold under vac also pulls air through the system and under boost the check valve closes so boost can not get into crank case. u want to fix it, get a powell separator v3. it will block off the intake manifold one and reroute it to the separator. then the only place pulling air through the system is at the turbo. all the air goes through the separator before it is put back into the intake. clean air will go into intake so nothing will go into the motor.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Snail_SS
get a bung welded in.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by tomj77
wow u definitely don't understand how the pcv system works lol.

the one on the intake draws clean air into crank case, has a check valve so no oil or air can come the other way. the one that goes to the turbo is where the crank case is vented, the air is drawn through via the suction of the turbo. the one in the intake manifold under vac also pulls air through the system and under boost the check valve closes so boost can not get into crank case. u want to fix it, get a powell separator v3. it will block off the intake manifold one and reroute it to the separator. then the only place pulling air through the system is at the turbo. all the air goes through the separator before it is put back into the intake. clean air will go into intake so nothing will go into the motor.
Well, i do understand how the one going into the manifold works but why do all these guys talk about blow by in the intake and at the compressor? Are the catch cans for those false advertising or what am I missing? One guy will say, yeah I caught a lot of oil in my catch can while another will say, you can't play with the pressures on these engines or you can seriously screw them up lol. There's no straight answers out there besides from people like John who actually design systems to keep the gunk out. I myself see no issue with putting a catch can for the intake>vc as well as the vc>turbo lines. But I don't build them to fully understand the benefits or negative effects they could have in the long run.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:42 AM

If you put a catch can on the fresh air inlet it will literally do nothing
Old 02-20-2018, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by exninja
If you put a catch can on the fresh air inlet it will literally do nothing
The pressure from the crankcase blows into the intake doesn't it? Or does it go the other way?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:44 AM

Reread my post above. The line directly after the MAF is the fresh air inlet. There is a check valve on it to make sure that air only flows INTO the crankcase. The outlets are into the compressor and intake manifold. You can interrupt the compressor outlet relatively easily, but there are no hoses for the IM outlet so it is very difficult to interrupt that one. Powell modifies the IM to make that work in the v3. The previous versions only interrupted the outlet to the compressor. The compressor hose would likely see more blowby gases since it's active during boost, but the IM outlet would have much more vacuum. There are orifices that should equalize pressures in the valve cover.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by exninja
Reread my post above. The line directly after the MAF is the fresh air inlet. There is a check valve on it to make sure that air only flows INTO the crankcase. The outlets are into the compressor and intake manifold. You can interrupt the compressor outlet relatively easily, but there are no hoses for the IM outlet so it is very difficult to interrupt that one. Powell modifies the IM to make that work in the v3. The previous versions only interrupted the outlet to the compressor. The compressor hose would likely see more blowby gases since it's active during boost, but the IM outlet would have much more vacuum. There are orifices that should equalize pressures in the valve cover.
Thanks for clearing that up. Sometimes I have trouble understanding things on here. I'm also literally talking to Gloria right now about what kit to get lol.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:23 PM

V.3 on the way.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 211 Likes on 170 Posts
the gmc terrains and chevy equinox 2013 and prior on the 2.4 engines freeze in cold temperatures and blow out the rear main seal due to extreme case pressure, resulting in oil loss and if you dont catch it in time. kaboom. all due to the pcv.

Quick Reply: Stupid PCV