ZZ Performance ZZ Performance is a proud Supporting Vendor

ZZP More bad Customer Service News

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ZZP More bad Customer Service News

Just wanted to share what appears to be a well known issue with ZZP, that they really have poor customer support. I would say the initial customer service in regards to sales or questions is reasonable.

I recently took the plunge and ordered all of the following from ZZP:
Item Sku Qty Subtotal
ZZP LSJ Axles-Stage 1 ZZ-LSJAXLE-S1 1 $149.99
Receive Free SMS Updates magesms23239512311 1 $0.00
F35 Short Throw Shifter ZZ-CBTSTS 1 $149.99
ZZP Cobalt Lowering Springs
Vehicle
Cobalt SS
ZZ-LWSECT-SS 1 $149.99
ZZP Front Strut Tower Bar for Cobalt
Color
Red
ZZ-STB-CB-Red 1 $79.99
Subtotal $529.96
Shipping & Handling $55.10
Grand Total $585.06

I also ordered the following to replace other items in the suspension since I was going to lower a car with 160K on it:

KYB SM5513 Strut Mount Kit
Moog CK620302 Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly
Moog CK620301 Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly
Moog K90460 Strut Bellows
KYB 339084 Excel-G Gas Strut
KYB 339085 Excel-G Gas Strut
Timken HA590086 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly
KYB 349043 Excel-G Gas Shock

I commute about 88 miles a day for work. I installed the axles on Saturday 7/14. On Monday 7/16 I noticed what felt like some tire wobble and vibration on the freeway. On Tuesday evening 7/17 I removed both the front passenger and driver side tire.

When I examined the drivers side suspension everything looked normal, not bolts or nuts loose. On the passenger side I found axle grease inside the passenger tire, on the new hub, on the new strut, the firewall etc. It appears the axle on the passenger side is defective.

I reached out to ZZP, I tried phone, but email was the way I got a response, here is the short and sweet of if:

This definitely is a warranty case. Please remove the axle and send it to:

ZZPerformance
ATTN: RMA 3070

2450 28th street SW
Wyoming, MI

To which I replied:
Thank you for confirming you received the pictures and reviewed them.

What happens after ZZP receives the axle?

The reason I ask is that I had to pay to ship the axle to me, now I am going to have to pay to ship it back. I am also out my time for the original installation, now the removal, not to mention the fluid I will have to replace to get the axle out this time.

If I am going to go through all the hassle, seems like I might as well remove both axles and return them and just get a refund, because I am going to be out shipping.

This is unfortunately not a part like a strut tower bar or a the short throw shifter, both items that I did purchase. Meaning that removal is relatively not time consuming, and that there aren't other items that have to be replaced like fluid. The axle is a bit time consuming, considering this is the passenger side, and very difficult to mitigate the loss of trans fluid since the half shaft has to be de-coupled from the current axle to install the old part in the interim.

And then I received:
When we receive it back, we will then ship out another one. We will ship it back to you free of charge.

As stated in our warranty policy here:

https://zzperformance.com/ecotec/returns-warranty/

ZZPerformance brand products carry a 2 year warranty from the date of purchase against defects in material and workmanship. The warranty applies only to the original purchaser. Replacement or repair will be at the discretion of ZZPerformance. We do not cover any type of labor or cost associated with a defective product. This includes any shipping charges. Purchaser and installer assume all liability with regard to any and all damages in any way related to the purchase, installation and/or use of our products. Items returned for warranty that are not defective or car brought to us for warranty work that turns out to have problems unrelated to said products will be billed at normal shop rate including cost associated with the claim.

Products resold through ZZPerformance carry warranties from the manufacturer. While each manufacturer set their own warranties and policies, we will do our best to assist you in getting your problems taken care of. Any returned parts that show evidence of being installed improperly or otherwise used contrary to the manufacturers instructions, will not be eligible for exchange, refund or warranty consideration. Parts used for racing or competition are warranted against manufacturer’s defects only. No refunds will be issued on warranty items; repair or replacement only. If you are unsure that your item(s) fit our warranty policy, please contact customerservice@zzperformance.com.

Unfortunately we cannot refund used products, but are more than happy to take care of you and replace them. If you're close to us you can just bring them in for a swap out as well.

So I can't get a refund because it is used, and its defective. But I had to pay to ship it to me and now pay to ship it back.

This makes me really consider purchasing any actual performance products from a company that does not really stand behind the product. Telling a customer to just eat the time and money to remove and ship, is not customer service to me.

I just wanted to share, like I said seems to be well know, but for anyone looking for more ZZP feedback, here it is, and on my first and most likely only purchase with the company.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
You bought cheap axles knowing they're cheap and you're expecting compensation for your time. Shipping heavy stuff always costs money.

We just had a new defective door come from Dodge. I spent hours trying diagnose the issue and then proving it to Mopar. They gave us a door but I spent an extra day on the job and it kept me from making money for the shop.

Even professional shops don't get that and they spend millions with their suppliers. We have to.fight for repair time on used parts.

I generally recommend buying maintenance items local or through rock auto. Especially Chinese axles. Returns are always easier.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by cluelessk
You bought cheap axles knowing they're cheap and you're expecting compensation for your time. Shipping heavy stuff always costs money.

We just had a new defective door come from Dodge. I spent hours trying diagnose the issue and then proving it to Mopar. They gave us a door but I spent an extra day on the job and it kept me from making money for the shop.

Even professional shops don't get that and they spend millions with their suppliers. We have to.fight for repair time on used parts.

I generally recommend buying maintenance items local or through rock auto. Especially Chinese axles. Returns are always easier.
Rock Auto has the same policy iirc.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
first off, nobody is going to cover your labor or incidentals for replacing a defective part. if you bought the axles at your local parts store, they're not paying your labor to swap them out, or for the oil you lost doing it. they also arent going to cover the fuel you burn driving to the parts store to exchange them.

this is one of the downfalls of "mail order" parts. most companies arent going to pay to ship in possible defective product.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:22 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
This whole post is cancer. Just stop.
Instead of going in on trying to explain stuff and beat the dead horse 12 feet under after it’s been 6 footed. I’ll say this.
Walk your happy behind to Napa auto parts. Order a Max Drive Axle for your car. Comes with a warranty. Put it on. Save your receipt. When it breaks. Take it out. Walk to Napa. Get a replacement.
If no Napa. Auto zone. Advance auto. O Reilly. This platform is saturdated with parts everywhere.
Btw. Axles are dirt cheap. Like dirt ******* cheap. **** I’ll sell you 3 “stage 1” axles. 2 are brand new. I also have 20 like axles for dirt Cheap.
0 point in this thread. 0!
Old 07-23-2018, 04:35 PM

When you say cheap - does something labeled as Stage One usually mean cheap to you?

ZZP Description:

ZZP LSJ AXLES-STAGE 1
Details
Replacement axles for your LSJ powered vehicle. Over time, stock axles fail and spew grease all over. These are a replacement meant for stock or lightly modified vehicles.

Pricing is per pair which includes the nuts.

Stage 1

Updated cage and *****
1mm larger center shaft
Heat treated splines
1 year warranty against defects

So I bought them, as I said I was working on the suspension and it seemed like a good idea.

I am just not a fan of paying to get the parts shipped to me and paying to have to ship back defective parts.

I owned a shop years ago, offered a lifetime warranty on the product I installed, yes it sucked when I had to work on those warranty items and not make any money. Especially when they were customers prior to my ownership of the shop. However it was I thought was important.

So you paid to ship the door back right? Meaning you choose the story about the door because not only did you pay to have Dodge ship you the door but when you found out it was defective you also paid to ship it back to Dodge?
The following users liked this post:
lewis137 (03-17-2021)
Old 07-23-2018, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bass_Waves

0 point in this thread. 0!
Great, what are you posting, in a worthless thread?

Oh BTW, I know its hard for you to understand, but I didn't post this just for you, I posted for others that may not be aware of the return policy.

Is all of this on me for not reading the policy and for purchasing what you feel are cheap parts.

Sure, do I think you are right? No, do either you or I care what each of us thinks of the other, nope.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:59 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by ECaulk
Rock Auto has the same policy iirc.
I had to ship a brake booster back to Rock Auto and they gave me a shipping label for the return and a refund.

I had to take time to pull it back out but I don't expect any parts store to refund labor.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:01 PM

Okay, another mistake.

I was not looking for a refund or labor, or the trans fluid.

I was looking for a will call tag to print to put on the box to send the axle back.

Everyone seems really tied up on the labor. I knew I wouldn't get it. I was trying to make an argument, it didn't work no.

So if we can move on from the labor, do you all think it is out of this world to get a company that you paid to ship you a product that turns out to be defective to offer to pay you to return the product?

Last edited by 8T8IROC; 07-23-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by exninja
I had to ship a brake booster back to Rock Auto and they gave me a shipping label for the return and a refund.

I had to take time to pull it back out but I don't expect any parts store to refund labor.
Did they send the wrong part or was it defective?
Old 07-23-2018, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by 8T8IROC
Okay, another mistake.

I was not looking for a refund or labor, or the trans fluid.

I was looking for a will call tag to print to put on the box to send the axle back.

Everyone seems really tied up on the labor. I knew I wouldn't get it. I was trying to make an argument, it didn't work no.

So if we can move on from the labor, do you all thing it is out of this world to get a company that you paid to ship you a product that turns out to be defective to offer to pay you to return the product?
Unfortunately that seems to be the common practice. Some companies are nicer than others but they arent required to give you anything other than what you paid for.

It sucks but it is what it is.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Did they send the wrong part or was it defective?
It was defective. I won't be getting rebuilt boosters anymore.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
Unfortunately that seems to be the common practice. Some companies are nicer than others but they arent required to give you anything other than what you paid for.

It sucks but it is what it is.

Agreed, I am just really not sure about purchasing actual performance products from them in the future.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Agreed, I am just really not sure about purchasing actual performance products from them in the future.
Of course that is your choice.

For me, they are really the best and only complete source for ecotec/cobalt parts. It can be hard to avoid them at times.
lewis137 (03-17-2021)
Old 07-23-2018, 09:48 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
When you say cheap - does something labeled as Stage One usually mean cheap to you?

ZZP Description:

ZZP LSJ AXLES-STAGE 1
Details
Replacement axles for your LSJ powered vehicle. Over time, stock axles fail and spew grease all over. These are a replacement meant for stock or lightly modified vehicles.

Pricing is per pair which includes the nuts.

Stage 1

Updated cage and *****
1mm larger center shaft
Heat treated splines
1 year warranty against defects

So I bought them, as I said I was working on the suspension and it seemed like a good idea.

I am just not a fan of paying to get the parts shipped to me and paying to have to ship back defective parts.
the reason for the comments about "stage 1 axles" in quotes is cause the axles both zzp and ottp sell are essentially the same as every stock replacement axle from the parts stores. if you look up some threads from around 10 years ago everyone came to the conclusion that the parts store replacement axles had larger shafts, cages and *****. it looks like the companies making the replacement axles figured the gm design was gonna be a warranty problem for them, so they designed a better axle as a direct replacement. i dont even thing you can buy a remanufactured from a parts store for these cars.

your location is listed at Beaumont, thats not by chance beaumont alberta is it? cause i can 100% see why zzp wouldnt want to pay to ship an axle back into the states. i also dont know that they can even send a shipping label for international shipping.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:31 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
I think Napa May have discontinued their gold line axles for lsj Cobalt's due to so many lowered guys breaking so many of them. Sorry it's not working out for you op, I have always had good luck with ZZP. Their customer service is slow some times but they have always done me right. Can't imagine how may 17yr olds ask them questions about what they should do to make their car "fast", now that prices have fallen so much.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkey

your location is listed at Beaumont, thats not by chance beaumont alberta is it? cause i can 100% see why zzp wouldnt want to pay to ship an axle back into the states. i also dont know that they can even send a shipping label for international shipping.
No, its Beaumont California.

However regardless of where I am, if a business charges you to ship you products then they agree to maintain a warranty agreement at that distance. IMHO if I paid to ship to Siberia and that is where I had the defective product delivered I would expect customer service, since I paid to have the parts delivered and the company shipped the products. Of course this is why many businesses choose not to ship overseas or great distances depending on their country of origin, as well as many folks on ebay shipping to only the lower 48 or contiguous 48 states.

Anyways, it is not the end of the world, bad parts, I didn't get what I expected. Its not the first time and won't be the last.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think the issue isnt even that the part is bad, or that the OP is out shipping/labor/materials

The problem is that the part was ordered, delivered, installed in less than a week, driven for 2 days, and the part failed...

the vendor refuses to help out with either return shipping or a refund if he returns both axles. because they "dont take back used parts"

While i understand them not wanting to take back used parts this is just plain a bad PR move for them. Regardless...

Here you have someone that spent 500 + dollars on parts for a car thats worth what 4k? Maybe 5k?

Obviously this person wants to invest money into his car. And being that ZZP is the only real store for these vehicles they should be smarter with their customers.

You order from summit and you get free shipping on all orders over $99.

Not only that, but they ALWAYS cover return shipping regardless of the order being 99 or more or 99 or less

If you want a refund, then they take the return shipping out of the refund. Otherwise with warranty issues they cover everything. Why? Good customer service.

I had an Aeromotive fuel pump die within 3 hours of installing on a Sunday. I called up Summit and they sent me out a brand new warranty replacement, and there was a return shipping label in the box. I had the new pump in my hands by Monday afternoon...

Thats how it should be done. Not this hey send us the broken part thats less than a week old that obvously had a problem to begin with. Then we will send you another. Thats not fair to the customer.
lewis137 (03-17-2021)
Old 07-24-2018, 12:27 PM

it's true, some places have better return/warranty policies than others. it's something to look up before making a purchase, especially large, heavy items like axles.

unfortunately being the "only real store for these vehicles" is exactly way they don't worry about having a better policy. competition forces those changes.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i guess what i really don't understand is how the vendor that has a dedicated forum can have at least two (the newest posts) in here that refer to horrible customer service and not acknowledge them.

I haven't read through the other one yet, but at-least in this one there is 0 acknowledgement or response from ZZP in their own forum...

It really broadcasts a message that they simply do not give a crap about their customers.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:36 PM

They don't come in all the time, and half of those turn into arguments. I don't think they're even a sponsor anymore.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Napa doesn't seem to have them in stock but Advance Auto has Carquest axles with what looks to be an identical warranty for $70 a side.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Op I see both sides of this and sadly you can partially blame all the lowered guys for part of this. I don't blame ZZP one bit for not wanting to refund a part that's been installed. I've changed axels on cars for a very long time and I have never been offered a refund for an installed part. I think it's nice actually that they may swap parts out and all you have to do is ship it. Sadly manny many axels have been broken by guys who are lowered, especially on coils, and there are accounts in Facebook of guys exchanging the Napa axels every week. No company will want to make them for us at that rate.
It would be nice if they paid shipping, but shipping is minor compared to the cost of the axel. Sorry it didn't work out the way you wanted. ZZP isn't on here much anymore but they are somewhat active on some of the Facebook pages. There isn't enough traffic in this forum now for them to pay attn to it anymore, sadly. With the way the kiddos create drama when involving them on Facebook, I would walk away from the cobalt community if I were a business. It's a dead platform anyway.
I do count on ZZP for parts and development and like I've said before, I haven't had any major issues with them.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Also how is ZZP supposed to know you installed the axles correctly? They can't warranty your work.

I work in a body shop and you'd be amazed at the stuff customers try to pin on us. (Unrelated rusted damage on the other side of the car). People suck and companies have to protect themselves.

Or you could thrashed the car and broke it.

I know I always check return policy's if I'm worried about losing money.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have to chime in about how good ZZP customer service has been for me.

In 2016 I had a $250 store credit that I had earned from LNF ECU exchanges via Matt and Rachel, but I had forgotten about it. About 3 months ago I decided I needed a downpipe in my life, so I remembered I had that store credit, but unfortunately for me, ZZP had updated their website and all old accounts were gone.

So I sent an email to ZZP describing my situation, then Ryan replied the next day, and, after digging up old emails and confirming everything, he was able to re-establish the store credit. All email conversations took place the same day or next day, really quick and thorough.

OP, I know it sucks about the parts you had to deal with and replace, but, as mentioned earlier by 63 Nova SS, cluelessk and others, the amount of people trying to screw over companies by deceptive "warranty" claims and such is astounding, and, while big conglomerates like Napa and Rock Auto can absorb these losses, small businesses simply cannot - every penny counts!

Any company would be wise to QC parts they re-sell in an effort to curb this type of situation and eliminate the possibility of defective parts being shipped to the customer in the first place, but every company passes bad parts through their doors from time to time, the goal is to get that amount as close to zero as possible.

Quick Reply: ZZP More bad Customer Service News