General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

cam follower removal, is there a tool for it

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 01:33 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
cam follower removal, is there a tool for it

was wondering if anyone has run across a tool for removing the cam followers on the ecotecs? ive seen tools for various ohc engines that contact the spring retainer and allow you to compress the spring and valve, allowing you to remove the cam follower. the whole goal here is to get to the lash adjuster without removing the cams. keep in mind im not after a valve spring compressor.

a little more info as to why: my l61 has solid lash adjusters and ive got a couple valves where the lash has opened up slightly, to the point i need to re-shim them, and it would make it so much simpler of a job if i can do it without removing the cams. setting up the lash adjusters is trial and error, start with a shim, install the cam, check the lash, remove the cam, change shims, etc. you can see how if i was able to remove the cam follower without removing the cam would save me time.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
With solid lash adjusters do you have to run a different cam than is used with the hydraulic lash adjusters? Also to shim I assume you place some type of washer type part under the lash adjusters? To get various shim heights to you use different thickness shims or do you pile them up?
Old 09-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Slobodan Milošević

Received 215 Likes on 175 Posts
you can run a hydraulic cam on a solid lifter, but not a solid cam on a hydraulic lifter.

Obviously its not as optimal as a solid on solid, but you can do it
The following users liked this post:
jdbaugh1 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 02:25 PM

the solid lash adjusters im running use shims, this style can only be used on an l61 head as the lash adjuster bucket on any other ecotec head dont keep the shims in place. in those heads you need to use a screw style adjustable one, or else extended lash adjusters that you machine the bottoms off to get the correct lash. with my lash adjusters the shims are fairly thin, but usually only one is used, however 2 or 3 can be stacked up if needed.

the cams is another thing. im running off the shelf comp 243 turbo cams. ideally you want to run a billet cam with solid lash adjusters as they are harder and take more abuse, however cast cams do hold up ok. the cam profile on a hydraulic cam differs from a solid cam as well, a hydraulic cam typically closes the valve very rapidly, typically the lash adjuster will compress slightly during valve opening, and the quick closing allows it to extend. ideally you dont want a cam with solid lash adjusters to close this fast, without the oil cushion provided by the hydraulic lash adjuster it can cause the valve to bounce off the seat. this is universal cam function theory, nothing ecotec or even ohc specific. while it may seem like a bad thing to run a hydraulic cam with solid lash adjusters, some digging last night turned up that gm ran the same cast core cams in some of the race engines with hydraulic or solid lash adjusters, so it appears the gm performance guys wernt worried about the "theoretical" issues. further, ive got about 4000 km, a bunch of dyno time, and going to 7800 rpm as many times as i can, not an issue, other than i need to tighten up the lash a little.
The following users liked this post:
jdbaugh1 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
As far as gm side we don't have a tool for that, your probably going to have to get a valve spring compressor and modify it for your needs.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:29 PM

i pulled the valve cover today and had a look. there is no tool cause there is no room to do it. i was hoping maybe to build something like is used on a ford 4.6/5.4, but its not gonna work. even if i could compress the valve and get the follower out the lash adjuster would hit the cam before it comes out of the bucket. to do what i need to the cams gotta come out.

so i do have somewhat of an issue, i had valve lash set at .003 to .004", most are still there, ive got a couple at .006", and one is way out to lunch at .012", so something is going on there. everything still looks ok so no real idea whats caused that. ive half got a tool built to hold the cam gears so i can pull the cams, but the rain stopped me from getting any further into it.