08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Small oil leak

Old 01-17-2019, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small oil leak

Here is a photo with the bolt hole circled
I have a small oil leak coming from where the engine oil pan ends and meets the transmission, I’m missing the bolt closest to the front bumper. I’m wondering if this is a internal leak or will getting a new bolt (if someone could provide dimensions or a part number that would be great) fix the problem. (Also the oil above if is from a cracked filter cap which is fixed)

Last edited by Robhuckell@gmail.com; 01-17-2019 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to put a picture in
Old 01-18-2019, 07:49 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Pretty sure that bolt you are referencing fastens the oil pan to the transmission. There is no oil flow and seal between the pan and the transmission. The pan only seals along the top side to the block. If you have oil leaking there I would guess it is coming from your rear main seal which you have to remove the transmission to replace.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
Pretty sure that bolt you are referencing fastens the oil pan to the transmission. There is no oil flow and seal between the pan and the transmission. The pan only seals along the top side to the block. If you have oil leaking there I would guess it is coming from your rear main seal which you have to remove the transmission to replace.
that’s not good then, how go a rough estimate how much that would be to replace?
Old 01-18-2019, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Robhuckell@gmail.com

that’s not good then, how go a rough estimate how much that would be to replace?
The actual seal is pretty cheap. Your cost will be mostly labor. I don't have a good idea of what that cost could be though.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:26 AM

The actual seal is pretty cheap. Your cost will be mostly labor. I don't have a good idea of what that cost could be though.
okay thanks
Old 01-18-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Before you jump to replacing your rear main, clean all the oil off and watch for fresh. Also see if your oil level is actually dropping. Replacing a rear main is not a quick process and if they salt the roads where you live or the car has been driven in salted roads the subframe bolts will be a royal bitch to remove and you'll likely end up replacing at least one of the bolts.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:58 AM

The rear main seal on my Ford truck drips a little every time I park it but I just throw down a piece of cardboard and let it drip. I don't lose a noticeable amount of oil so it isn't worth the trouble of replacing it at this time. If I have to drop the trans again for some other reason I will deal with it then. Ultimately it's up to you to decide.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:03 AM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by ECaulk
Before you jump to replacing your rear main, clean all the oil off and watch for fresh. Also see if your oil level is actually dropping. Replacing a rear main is not a quick process and if they salt the roads where you live or the car has been driven in salted roads the subframe bolts will be a royal bitch to remove and you'll likely end up replacing at least one of the bolts.
QFE. You definitely want to clean off ALL of the old oil and watch to see if you really do have another leak. Oil can get pushed all over and wick into joints that will give false signs of leaks.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:16 PM

The rear main seal on my Ford truck drips a little every time I park it but I just throw down a piece of cardboard and let it drip. I don't lose a noticeable amount of oil so it isn't worth the trouble of replacing it at this time. If I have to drop the trans again for some other reason I will deal with it then. Ultimately it's up to you to decide.
Originally Posted by exninja
QFE. You definitely want to clean off ALL of the old oil and watch to see if you really do have another leak. Oil can get pushed all over and wick into joints that will give false signs of leaks.
okay thanks, I’m going to my buddies tomorrow and we’re going the throw it on the lift and clean it up real good then I’ll drive it around for a couple mins and see if there’s any new drips, thanks guys
Old 01-19-2019, 07:48 PM

okay thanks, I’m going to my buddies tomorrow and we’re going the throw it on the lift and clean it up real good then I’ll drive it around for a couple mins and see if there’s any new drips, thanks guys
I cleaned it up before going to my buddies, oil level is the same and no new oil, I drove for about 20mins. Is that long enough to know if there’s a internal leak?
Old 01-19-2019, 08:00 PM

I cleaned it up before going to my buddies, oil level is the same and no new oil, I drove for about 20mins. Is that long enough to know if there’s a internal leak?
Give it some more time but keep an eye on it
Old 01-19-2019, 11:36 PM

Give it some more time but keep an eye on it
ok, I drove around for another half hour and did a couple pulls to get the oil pressure up and there was nothing dripping, so I’ll keep some cardboard under it, would the rear main leak even if the car wasn’t on?
Old 01-20-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Make sure that nothing up top is leaking down. Make sure the valve cover is not leaking down in between the engine and trans. These cars are known for the fuel pump direction pump o ring leaking oil as well and dripping down through the bell housing, replaced mine when the pump failed and my oil leak went away. Still may be the rear main if its oil dripping out and nothing up top is leaking. Also make sure that its not gear oil or brake fluid
Old 01-20-2019, 02:50 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
Axle seal.

Mine's been doing this since 2009, lol.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:20 PM

If that's the case then it's allot simpler. I got new axle seals and redline mt90 fluid from zzp performance when I just recently replaced my clutch... again...
Old 01-20-2019, 03:22 PM

Honestly that's the front of the engine from what I can tell in the picture so axle seal isn't likely, and it looks like it's coming down from higher up. Most likely the o ring on the fuel pump leaking down and in between the engine and trans. That's exactly how mine looked.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can't isolate the source of the leak, I would suggest picking up some engine oil dye from the auto parts store. Pour the dye into the oil, drive the vehicle, and then use a UV light to inspect the area. The dye will show where the leak is coming from as well as the type of leak. If you find that there is no dye present in the oil that has leaked out, that indicates that the leak is coming from the transmission input shaft seal, and not from the real main engine seal.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:41 PM

I agree. Still sucks if its the input shaft seal. Could be multiple things in that area. Careful inspection and patience will prevent unnecessary repairs and a parts cannon. Rear main seal, input shaft seal, oil filter housing cap o ring, fuel pump o ring, edge of valve cover by the fuel pump (TSB on that one), and there's a cam position sensor right there as well, and also the camshaft end cap o ring. I unintentionally fixed mine when the pump went bad. I noticed no more oil leak. And also the other thing is the bell housing seals pretty tight against the trans, so even if you did fix the leak by messing with the oil filter, any oil trapped in the bell housing will slowly leak out for a while.
The following users liked this post:
Sport Red LNF (01-21-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by C0balts5
Make sure that nothing up top is leaking down. Make sure the valve cover is not leaking down in between the engine and trans. These cars are known for the fuel pump direction pump o ring leaking oil as well and dripping down through the bell housing, replaced mine when the pump failed and my oil leak went away. Still may be the rear main if its oil dripping out and nothing up top is leaking. Also make sure that its not gear oil or brake fluid
Honestly that's the front of the engine from what I can tell in the picture so axle seal isn't likely, and it looks like it's coming down from higher up. Most likely the o ring on the fuel pump leaking down and in between the engine and trans. That's exactly how mine looked.
Originally Posted by Sport Red LNF
If you can't isolate the source of the leak, I would suggest picking up some engine oil dye from the auto parts store. Pour the dye into the oil, drive the vehicle, and then use a UV light to inspect the area. The dye will show where the leak is coming from as well as the type of leak. If you find that there is no dye present in the oil that has leaked out, that indicates that the leak is coming from the transmission input shaft seal, and not from the real main engine seal.
the oil that was on the engine in the picture was from when the oil filter cap was cracked and it was leaking down the side of the engine, the cap was replaced and no more new oil, I cleaned up the engine and it doesn’t look to be leaking anymore, I drove for about and hour and no new oil drips. I’m going to keep an eye on it. It is a newer engine so I wouldn’t think it would be the rear main seal. But you never know
Old 01-20-2019, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
Axle seal.

Mine's been doing this since 2009, lol.
how much does it leak? And for an axle seal wouldn’t that be trans fluid? Not engine oil? Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong
Old 01-20-2019, 08:53 PM

Rear main seal is kind of rare on these cars. I think your good. I had the trans out three times in mine and the rear main was bone dry so I didn't mess with it. I just did my clutch and had a problem with the clutch pipe not sealing and some brake fluid got into the bell housing. Since it's a tight seal, even though I had fixed the leak. I had brake fluid slowly dripping out for a week and a half. Lots of cavities where oil can get to. Why did your engine get replaced?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:06 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
Does the LNF have the oil cooler in the same spot as the LSJ?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:12 PM

I think so, I vaguely remember seeing it in that general area by the oil filter as well. Forgot about that. I have yet to see that leak so far.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
Does the LNF have the oil cooler in the same spot as the LSJ?
Essentially the exact same spot.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:49 PM

Rear main seal is kind of rare on these cars. I think your good. I had the trans out three times in mine and the rear main was bone dry so I didn't mess with it. I just did my clutch and had a problem with the clutch pipe not sealing and some brake fluid got into the bell housing. Since it's a tight seal, even though I had fixed the leak. I had brake fluid slowly dripping out for a week and a half. Lots of cavities where oil can get to. Why did your engine get replaced?
Original owner took out the rad on a raccoon, thought he cooked the engine so bought a new one and installed it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Small oil leak