General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Supercharging for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Supercharging for dummies

Hi again everyone. Recently I asked what you all thought would be the best things to do to my car performance wise. After a lot of input from members and some time to think and make money over the summer, I decided I would like to put a supercharger on my car instead of going to a CAI.

A few people mentioned you could buy an LSJ supercharger used on craigslist for around 150$. is it safe to buy a used supercharger? Now to support the supercharger I would need a lot more, right? I am pure stock right now so I figured this kit could be an option - https://zzperformance.com/collection...percharger-kit Will I need the new throttle body and intake manifold?

Before I supercharge the car, I was thinking of replacing my downpipe and catback. Any suggestions or products that worked great for you? My car is a 2006 white 2.4 liter Cobalt SS. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
A zzp shorty header with 2.5" downpipe and 2.5" exhaust (with mufflers) would be pretty much the best exhaust system for your goals. You could definitely get away with less, but I agree that the stock manifold and downpipe arent doing you any favors in terms of performance if youre going to be adding a blower.

Yes used superchargers are fine if they are in good shape. Check to make sure the black coating on the rotors is still in tact. If its in decent shape with minimal scratches its worth it. Youll need the supercharger intake manifold and throttle body too since theyre different than yours.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l...thread-208355/
Old 07-22-2019, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
Thanks for the information links! I will have fun going through all of those. As far as a header goes, will I be able to get away without a catalytic converter?
Old 07-22-2019, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Depends on your state/city. Michigan doesnt have any sort of emissions or safety inspection.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:35 PM

As far as I am aware, there are no safety inspections. My family has been driving cars for 50 years without any sort of inspection (other than our semis)
Old 07-22-2019, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Then its your call. Most choose not too because of the added cost. Alternatively, having one like on the zzp downpipe isnt really going to effect performance at your power level.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:48 PM

I'm going to replace my exhaust and then save up more money to buy the supercharger kit and supercharger. But that brings me to another question. How do you even go about tuning a vehicle? I have no idea where to take it or how expensive it will be. Should I take it to be tuned after I install the exhaust or wait for the supercharger?
Old 07-22-2019, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

ZZperformance is only a few hours away from you in Grand Rapids, MI. You dont need one for the exhaust but youll probably get a check engine light if you dont have a cat. The light can be removed once you get a tune.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:13 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
As far as exhaust goes the stock exhaust manifold isn't terribly restrictive though downpipe on back needs to be bigger. This is just from memory but I didn't think the stock manifold is that much different from the stock LSJ manifold. I think I even ran the TVS on my stock manifold for a while. Also, as far as superchargers go keep in mind you can have the rotors recoated I think for around $200. However, coating is a good indicator on the overall health of the supercharger. I have a spare LSJ throttle body that I can sell. It's practically new. I once bought it before I had an issue properly diagnosed that ultimately wasn't the throttle body. I would recommend going with the catted option from ZZP because it helps eliminate some of the rasp. High flow cat, resonator, and muffler is the best sounding option IMO. Each one of those you delete it gets cheaper because each component is replaced with a piece of pipe but it also gets louder and less refined.

When I first went supercharged I went with ZZP's kit mainly because when you first dig into it can be overwhelming and ZZP's kit is a good way to ensure you end up with most of the parts you will need. You also get new manifolds and all that which is more expensive but buying used is always a gamble, even though you can save a bunch of money. If you do buy used you want to be careful to inspect everything very carefully. Nothing more frustrating than getting your build together and having to take it all back apart because you have to replace a bad part, like a leaking laminova core in your intake manifold.

I have some 650cc (~62lb.) FIC split spray injectors that are working I just swapped out I could sell too if you are interested.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
As far as exhaust goes the stock exhaust manifold isn't terribly restrictive though downpipe on back needs to be bigger. This is just from memory but I didn't think the stock manifold is that much different from the stock LSJ manifold. I think I even ran the TVS on my stock manifold for a while. Also, as far as superchargers go keep in mind you can have the rotors recoated I think for around $200. However, coating is a good indicator on the overall health of the supercharger. I have a spare LSJ throttle body that I can sell. It's practically new. I once bought it before I had an issue properly diagnosed that ultimately wasn't the throttle body. I would recommend going with the catted option from ZZP because it helps eliminate some of the rasp. High flow cat, resonator, and muffler is the best sounding option IMO. Each one of those you delete it gets cheaper because each component is replaced with a piece of pipe but it also gets louder and less refined.

When I first went supercharged I went with ZZP's kit mainly because when you first dig into it can be overwhelming and ZZP's kit is a good way to ensure you end up with most of the parts you will need. You also get new manifolds and all that which is more expensive but buying used is always a gamble, even though you can save a bunch of money. If you do buy used you want to be careful to inspect everything very carefully. Nothing more frustrating than getting your build together and having to take it all back apart because you have to replace a bad part, like a leaking laminova core in your intake manifold.

I have some 650cc (~62lb.) FIC split spray injectors that are working I just swapped out I could sell too if you are interested.
Yeah, the reason I wanted the ZZP supercharger kit was because I was overwhelmed and don’t know what I’m doing. What exactly are the injectors you are describing? And what else other than the throttle body that you would perhaps sell do I need? Like you said, it’s very overwhelming and it doesn’t help that I don’t know what half of it is!
Old 07-23-2019, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by NewToTheBuild
Yeah, the reason I wanted the ZZP supercharger kit was because I was overwhelmed and don’t know what I’m doing. What exactly are the injectors you are describing? And what else other than the throttle body that you would perhaps sell do I need? Like you said, it’s very overwhelming and it doesn’t help that I don’t know what half of it is!
I think that's it as far as spare parts that I have. I think there is a thread on here that lists all the parts.

One thing about ZZP's kit is that they utilize a custom belt routing configuration that allows you to use your stock AC and alternator. The LSJ is 6 rib and your car is 5 rib. The LSJ also has an alternator designed to spin backwards although ZZP's kit doesn't require your alternator to spin backwards. This is from memory so bear with me but ZZP's kit allows you to utilize your stock alternator and AC with a custom belt configuration. People also have made their stock AC and alternator work with the LSJ 6 rib setup they just cut a rib off the belt and spun their alternator backwards. Some say the alternator won't cool as effectively and others say yeah but it's fine.

The following list is from memory and assuming you want to convert over to the 6-rib belt setup. I could easily miss a few things but I'll try to lay out main components. Keep in mind you will need fasteners to attach components but I can't list those from memory. Some of the belt driven components will reuse some of your stock fasteners.

BELT driven components needed for 6-rib conversion only
  • LSJ Crank pulley
  • LSJ Alternator
  • LSJ AC compressor
  • LSJ Idler pulley
BELT driven components needed to use stock components by removing a rib of belt. Also needed for 6-rib conversion.
  • LSJ Tensioner pulley
  • LSJ tensioner pulley bracket
  • LSJ belt or alternate size if you run a smaller supercharger pulley ( ZZP also sells adjustable tensioner pulley bracket and oversize tensioner pulley)
Supercharger stuff
  • Supercharger (needs plug or dummy sensor for supercharger pressure port)
  • LSJ intake manifold (preferably with dual pass end plate)
  • Heat exchanger (may need additional fittings for some H/E)
  • Water pump for heat exchanger system (appropriate relay and wiring to turn on with key)
  • 3/4" heater hose for heat exchanger system and hose clamps
  • LSJ throttle body (With 2.2 TB it requires pin reconfiguration on TB connector, or ZZP sells an adapter, not sure on 2.4)
  • LSJ intake (ZZP's kit includes intake but it's a hot air intake that sucks in heated engine bay air) check MAF compatibility
  • LSJ MAP sensor (I used stock but most people don't. Some people also use TMAP and rewire temp signal from MAF to new TMAP)
Supporting mods
  • Larger injectors (ZZP's kit typically offers 60 lbs. as a starting point and they are sufficient for pump gas M62 configurations)
  • Larger downpipe and cat-back exhaust
  • Step colder spark plugs gapped (some debate over gap but I think I ran mine at about .032")
Thats all I can think of for right now. If I remember more I will add later.
The following users liked this post:
ProfDNS (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
I think that's it as far as spare parts that I have. I think there is a thread on here that lists all the parts.

One thing about ZZP's kit is that they utilize a custom belt routing configuration that allows you to use your stock AC and alternator. The LSJ is 6 rib and your car is 5 rib. The LSJ also has an alternator designed to spin backwards although ZZP's kit doesn't require your alternator to spin backwards. This is from memory so bear with me but ZZP's kit allows you to utilize your stock alternator and AC with a custom belt configuration. People also have made their stock AC and alternator work with the LSJ 6 rib setup they just cut a rib off the belt and spun their alternator backwards. Some say the alternator won't cool as effectively and others say yeah but it's fine.

The following list is from memory and assuming you want to convert over to the 6-rib belt setup. I could easily miss a few things but I'll try to lay out main components. Keep in mind you will need fasteners to attach components but I can't list those from memory. Some of the belt driven components will reuse some of your stock fasteners.

BELT driven components needed for 6-rib conversion only
  • LSJ Crank pulley
  • LSJ Alternator
  • LSJ AC compressor
  • LSJ Idler pulley
BELT driven components needed to use stock components by removing a rib of belt. Also needed for 6-rib conversion.
  • LSJ Tensioner pulley
  • LSJ tensioner pulley bracket
  • LSJ belt or alternate size if you run a smaller supercharger pulley ( ZZP also sells adjustable tensioner pulley bracket and oversize tensioner pulley)
Supercharger stuff
  • Supercharger (needs plug or dummy sensor for supercharger pressure port)
  • LSJ intake manifold (preferably with dual pass end plate)
  • Heat exchanger (may need additional fittings for some H/E)
  • Water pump for heat exchanger system (appropriate relay and wiring to turn on with key)
  • 3/4" heater hose for heat exchanger system and hose clamps
  • LSJ throttle body (With 2.2 TB it requires pin reconfiguration on TB connector, or ZZP sells an adapter, not sure on 2.4)
  • LSJ intake (ZZP's kit includes intake but it's a hot air intake that sucks in heated engine bay air) check MAF compatibility
  • LSJ MAP sensor (I used stock but most people don't. Some people also use TMAP and rewire temp signal from MAF to new TMAP)
Supporting mods
  • Larger injectors (ZZP's kit typically offers 60 lbs. as a starting point and they are sufficient for pump gas M62 configurations)
  • Larger downpipe and cat-back exhaust
  • Step colder spark plugs gapped (some debate over gap but I think I ran mine at about .032")
Thats all I can think of for right now. If I remember more I will add later.
Can I rob most of these parts off of a 2.0 supercharged cobalt or do I need to buy 2.4 specific parts?

Found this guy selling a lot of good looking sc parts
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3548958104106/
Old 07-23-2019, 08:50 AM

All of these parts would need to be robbed off a 2.0 LSJ Cobalt. Only 2.4 specific parts would be your spark plugs as I think they are different mounting than LSJ. Also check your injector connector as I think LSJ uses EV1. My 2.2 uses EV6 and I'm not sure what 2.4 uses. They do make adapters that convert from EV1 to EV6 but there isn't room for the hard 1-piece adapters. The wired adapters do work. I also don't know if the 2.4 head has the smaller 6mm intake manifold bolts like the 2.2 or the 8mm like the LSJ. If it does have 6mm intake bolts and studs the easiest workaround is to purchase the appropriate length (I have this data somewhere) shoulder bolts . Alternatively you can bore out and tap the head for the larger 8mm bolts. The only differences in exhausts are between automatic and manual Cobalts. They require different length downpipes from the different engine offset dimension.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:21 AM

Received 91 Likes on 89 Posts
Lsjs use a multec2 plug. Not ev1 or ev6
Old 07-23-2019, 09:22 AM

This is EVERYTHING you need. I made this list along time ago for people wanting to do this

Supercharger+gasket

4x supercharger bolts(can get them from crateenginedepot.com)

Intake manifold+gasket

Intake manifold bracket

Lsj alternator bracket

Heat exchanger

Ic pump+plug

Ic pump bracket

Lsj idler pulley

Lsj tensioner(zzp adjustable optional for smaller pulley)

Lsj belt or stage 2 belt for smaller pulley

Intake

Lsj throttle body

Lsj throttle body adapter harness from zzp 06-07 need 8-8 pin 08+ needs 6-8

Maf extension harness from zzp

Ev6 injectors or ev1 injectors+ev1 harness

LTR6IX-11 Spark plugs

2x 60mm shoulder bolts part#0154419

5x 10mm shoulder bolts part#0154418

7 washers for bolts

Those are for the intake manifold. Ordered from fastenal. Can't use lsj bolts. We need m6. Or tap for m8x1.25

Lsj map sensor and plug (will need to be rewired to work) or your stock map sensor will work but you won't be able to read iat2(which is very important to read)

Lsj windshield washer tank(yours will have to be deleted)

Hoses for heat exchanger

Lsj upper radiator hose

Random clamps

Tune

Last edited by chevygirl2006; 07-23-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:31 AM

^^ to add to this you don't necessarily need an intake manifold bracket. I have never ran one. Also while the MAF extension harness makes things easy you can actually make the stock leads reach if you get into your stock engine harness and remove some of the electrical tape to pull additional wire out towards the drivers side. I had to make my stock MAF connection work after the provided extension harness had a bad connection. It's more robust if you take the time to make the stock lead reach.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:38 AM

I just put that in the list for the people that want plug and play and don’t want to dig into their engine harness
Old 07-23-2019, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by chevygirl2006
I just put that in the list for the people that want plug and play and don’t want to dig into their engine harness
Exactly I just wanted to add information. Wanted OP to know you can make the MAF reach if willing. My personal experience I have had connection issues with extension and adapter harnesses from ZZP. I do have unusually bad luck with new parts but my MAF extension never worked and I had to go in and solder a wire that came loose out of my TB adapter harness. All those potential issues can be avoided if the work is put in to make the stock connections work though, like you said, it is not plug and play.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:53 AM

Oh and the intake manifold bracket is needed because that’s what the ic pump bracket bolts too. It’s not needed for the intake manifold
Old 07-23-2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by chevygirl2006
Oh and the intake manifold bracket is needed because that’s what the ic pump bracket bolts too. It’s not needed for the intake manifold
Very true if you want to mount the pump like stock LSJ which is a good setup. But there are also much cheaper ways to mount the pump as well like the simple mounting strap that ZZP provides with their kit
Old 07-23-2019, 10:30 AM

I have come to the conclusion that I will buy the zzp supercharging kit but buy the m62, throttle body and intake manifold separately on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. If any of you have a spare supercharger that has either already been rebuilt or is in great condition, let me know!
Old 07-23-2019, 05:38 PM

Unless ZZP has updated their kit, you won't be able to use the bolts they send with the intake manifold. When I got the kit they sent out M8 bolts with it. It didn't make much sense to be because it appears both the 2.2 and the 2.4 require the M6 bolts Chevygirl2006 mentioned above.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

You can drill out the holes in the head and tap them to m8 if youre comfortable doing that sort of thing.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:32 AM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Jeffery selling a ported and polished M62 for $350

Quick Reply: Supercharging for dummies