South Central TX, OK, AR, and LA

Moving to Houston in August

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Houston in August

What are some good neighborhoods for me and my wife to look at? How's the Houston area overall? More importantly hows the vehicle emissions testing in TX? Not trying to decide to move I absolutely have to but I gotta start house shopping sooner than expected and decide if im going to transfer my cars registration to TX.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by cmm0618
What are some good neighborhoods for me and my wife to look at? How's the Houston area overall? More importantly hows the vehicle emissions testing in TX? Not trying to decide to move I absolutely have to but I gotta start house shopping sooner than expected and decide if im going to transfer my cars registration to TX.
Your so screwed dude!!

Anyways... Houston is an ok place. I tend to think of it as a reversed ant hill lol. in the morning everyone piles into the town(ant hill) and then in the evening they stream out.

But there is nothing here! I came from San Diego and had LA just an hour away as well as the mountains and tons of beaches.

Before that I was born and raised in Ohio. 1 hour from a great Amusement park and tons of little towns and COUNTRY fun!

In Houston you have the super expensive Kemah boardwalk and Galveston fun pier. Really crappy Galveston beaches. The only decent place, though VERY tiny! is the Woodlands "riverwalk" wanna be.

Traffic is an absolute nightmare from 6am to 10 am 11 am to 1 pm and 4pm to 7pm all week!!!

Now if we knew where you would be working then we could help out.

I personally left the Cypress area(NW Houston) because it was getting crowded and to many bad nightly news sightings. I am all the way out in Montgomery now and LOVE IT!!! Country setting and the commute isn't to bad riding back into Tomball, even with the construction(which in the end will make it better!!!!)

Let us know the company or the area the company is in and we can help.

As for the emissions.... well it depends on where you take it and who recommends you take it there, if you catch my drift...

Tags/plates are not to bad on pricing as I came from Cali and the taxes out there are crazy high!

Again Houston isn't bad it's just there is NOTHING to do here at all!!!! (I know you all say the amusement park on 59 but they haven't done much to nothing out there!!!)

I do admit that in the past 5-6 years the car scene has been pumping up! Lots to do with that and it is easy enough to find a meet and trouble lol
The roads though decent for the most part can be harsh on a lowered car. I guess the design philosophy out here is "build me for trucks" lol
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 AM

i dont know the exact address ill be working at, I just got orders to be I&I staff for 1/23rd marines, and was originally told i wouldnt be going until may of next year, but that got backed up so ive only got 2 and a half months to move once i get back from deployment.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:22 PM

i dont know the exact address ill be working at, I just got orders to be I&I staff for 1/23rd marines, and was originally told i wouldnt be going until may of next year, but that got backed up so ive only got 2 and a half months to move once i get back from deployment.
Ahhh I see now.

Well once you get here and report you'll have to see where they are going to place you for your job. I will say the I&I are generally downtown so it really doesn't matter where you live the traffic will suck.

As for locals the Woodlands is good but expensive. Humble is nice and generally less swamped on 59 north compared to 45 and 290(stay away from those if possible)

The south side is generally nicer but you have to get away from the belts to really enjoy it.

All in all your commute is going to suck on time, gas, and tolls from any direction.

More will chime in I'm sure but in general I sympathize with anyone working downtown.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:19 PM

Received 91 Likes on 89 Posts
The good thing is, the car scene is decent. Also a lot of clubs/bars if you're into that stuff.

Traffic sucks. I try to avoid going to houston as much as possible.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my brother lived in sugarland and it was pretty reasonably priced for him being a server and his gf working for a medical billing place. they did ok there. theres plenty to do its just further spaced out. houston is a little further away from the canyons n such on the other side of SA but theres more than nothing to do. just depends how lazy you are and how far you wanna go.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:15 AM

Your right Kahless for someone to say there is nothing to do in Houston is probably coming from a lazy person that doesn't want to go out and have fun and probably doesn't want to waste money. there is a lot to do around here my weekends have jam packed. it All depends what you like to do here's a list of what I've done this year and where still in March

Rodeo Houston which last a month very very popular and fun to go to a bunch of cook offs there is concerts from famous artist everyday different types of music country pop hip hop Spanish there's a carnival lot of fun at the rodeo

Car scene is great over here in Houston we just had tx2k14 about two weeks ago if you don't know what it is YouTube it and you'll see cars from all over the us come to Houston to race that whole week I probably had 5 hours of sleep, the meets and racing where still going on till 4am, there is meets All during the week and weekends just get on some Houston racing forum to find out where there at. There was a time where I was going to meets on Monday Wednesday Friday Saturday and Sunday lol but I kind of chilled now because I'm starting my family and don't like taking as munch risk now. There three race tracks one Baytown royal purple raceway one in sealy lonestar raceway and in north houston Motorsport raceway and if you need your car modified a bunch of performance shops that are reliable.

Galveston beach yes it might not be pretty like the Cali beaches but it's still a nice place to have fun with your family I don't know if your married or not, there a mini amusement park there, you could bike ride the sea wall I don't know if you like fishing or not but I just went deep sea fishing tons of fun lots of fish the boat provides everything. Plus there tons of cruises to Galveston through out the year also great food Around the seawall

You like 4 wheeling? There are trails in Crosby tx where you can rent 4 wheelers or if u have one already you will have a blast I just went a month ago I was there from morning till sundown lots of trails to go through and get all muddy lol

Just last weekend went to crawfish Festival in Kemah, I think there's one in sugar land this weekend lots of crawfish festival around town when in season

You like sports? We have a basketball football baseball and soccer professional teams I'm sure you don't like our teams because your from another state but you could go to games when your team comes into town

I could go on and on of things I've done and stuff u can do Yes traffic sucks but that's any big city I've been to Los Angeles it's worse then here. So there you go to say there's nothing to do is just foolish enjoy your stay here in Houston and about where you want to live find out where you going to be working at for you can live close and avoid traffic
Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 AM

Alright so sounds like Houston is gonna be pretty good for me and the wife, I wish I knew exactly where the I&I station was so i could start looking at neighborhoods, gotta go see if the career planner has the address.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:52 AM

Alright so sounds like Houston is gonna be pretty good for me and the wife, I wish I knew exactly where the I&I station was so i could start looking at neighborhoods, gotta go see if the career planner has the address.
Your orders should give you the addy. It was always on mine. I&I seems to be a little hidden/consealed and for a reason.

Also just and FYI your batt does state other locals than Houston so you may want to check that you are for sure coming here.

As for nothing to do there really isn't. Everything stated is a once a year item. Crawfish festavals and the such, the Rodeo is two weeks and then nothing. I'm not a lazy person but once you do a few things you get board with it quick. Kemah and the pier are expensive. I'm not a cheap person and will spend money like nothing, hell I have three horses, but to pay money for a few kiddy rides and ok food is just nuts.

I did say the car scene is good and getting better. The whole TX2K14 thing.... well keep your eyes and ears open because there are 14+ people setting in jail right now that will probably never get their cars back. They were caught triple the speed limit and Houston doesn't mess around with that. The meets and stuff are great around town but they are always held in store parking lots and once someone is stupid the cops will roll in. The cops are always watching. I am telling you this as the other guy mentioned family. Be careful as Houston PD doesn't fart around!!

Aslo for off-roading well that is my specialty. Yea we have Crosby/gen sams(Huntsville) and a few "spots" around town to go have fun. I'm in a XJ club and it is quite fun.

Still though all the items everyone mentioned is possible fun but... not really what most would call fun.

All in all Houston is more of a workaholic town and less of a fun town. Just saying...
Old 03-26-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://m.facebook.com/groups/132094846989886 join us if you have a FB page.. We have a lot of Houston ppl
Old 03-26-2014, 12:57 PM

I heard 9 people got caught but if 14 umm ok there's over 1000+ at the tx2k event so 1% got caught? You really think nobody is going to get caught driving at those speed of course they are so if only 1% where arrested I say those are pretty good odds you know what your getting into when you stuff like that. Everyone is different then any chance I get I take the boat out and BBQ with buddy's thats what I call fun there a gm tuner meet Saturday and lsx cruise Sunday I drive a vette and ss so I go to these events that's my idea of fun but you right it's a work town that why I love it how else am I going to pay for all my toys
Old 03-27-2014, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by reddragon72
Your orders should give you the addy. It was always on mine. I&I seems to be a little hidden/consealed and for a reason.

Also just and FYI your batt does state other locals than Houston so you may want to check that you are for sure coming here.
It didnt have the address on the orders, but i got it from the career planner, its definitely houston, thats where alpha company is.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:47 AM

It didnt have the address on the orders, but i got it from the career planner, its definitely houston, thats where alpha company is.
Well then your set.

Again if your downtown then 290 and the 45 are the worst offenders for traffic jams but there are lots of great places to live around Houston and SS guys are scattered all over the place.

It was mentioned about the sat meet for GMT and I'll be there, great burgers and great group of people to hang out with. Sometimes goes till midnight lol.

Again hope to see you at the meets soon!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:54 AM

I will definitely be coming as soon as me and the wife get settled. Thanks for the info looks like ill be working in southwest houston near clear lake