Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

★★★ Fortune Auto 550 Coilovers - EXCLUSIVE ★★★

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 05:46 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
★★★ Fortune Auto 550 Coilovers - EXCLUSIVE ★★★

Exclusive Extended Warranty ONLY with THM!!

Regular Warranty = 5 years hardware / 1 year internals
**Fortune Auto 550 Coilovers = 5 years hardware / 2 Years internals**

Highlights:
--------------------------------------

- Extended Warranty
- Revised and Tested Valving
- Shock Dyno'd before leaving the factory
- AMSOIL Authentic Oil Utilized
- Assembled by hand in the USA! Right in Virginia!
- Shocks are matched for springs on an in-house SHOCK DYNO
- All shocks are dyno matched before they leave the factory
- Spring rates that actually match the weight of the vehicle and not random rates
- Shocks actually perform as they should over the years, they dont diverge as they get older
- Full rebuild-able and serviceable in the good ol' USA

Stay Tuned for More Updates !!!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:16 PM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
What is the cost looking like?
Old 01-23-2015, 05:42 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by blueLNFftw
Cost can not be discussed here considering where this is posted. This is to talk about the new coilover coming out for you guys. We have been developing this in a huge way for the Cobalt guys because we always found other setups to be not valved properly.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
More details please. I don't see anything about a 550 series on their site.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:16 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV
More details please. I don't see anything about a 550 series on their site.
550's are not going to be listed on their site cause they are made by them for THMotorsports. Here is a picture

Old 01-23-2015, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by thmotorsports
550's are not going to be listed on their site cause they are made by them for THMotorsports. Here is a picture

[IMG]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h141/jgautier1/image_zps1e17e69d.png[IMG]
I know the Cobalt won't be listed, but there is no 550 series. I'm guessing you meant 500. The picture shows the 500 series as well. The only plus I can see over the rest of the coilovers already available is digressive valving (and being made in the US).

Originally Posted by blueLNFftw
The MSRP of this series coilover (for other vehicles) is in the lower to middle range of what's available for Cobalts.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Former Vendor

I know the Cobalt won't be listed, but there is no 550 series. I'm guessing you meant 500. The picture shows the 500 series as well. The only plus I can see over the rest of the coilovers already available is digressive valving (and being made in the US).

The MSRP of this series coilover (for other vehicles) is in the lower to middle range of what's available for Cobalts.
No.... and I re-iterate. 550 series is THMotorsports only. There is no 500 series available for you guys. There are SEVERAL differences. This is why I included a picture for you, so you can see physical product.

Call me for more explanation if you desire.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:03 PM

No.... and I re-iterate. 550 series is THMotorsports only. There is no 500 series available for you guys. There are SEVERAL differences. This is why I included a picture for you, so you can see physical product.

Call me for more explanation if you desire.
Do you have a picture of the coilovers for a Cobalt?

I was hoping for more (public) information. Are these going to be offered with a certain spring rate or can the buyer specify? Do the rear shocks have a shorter eye to eye length than what is currently available? I have had three sets of coilovers and the rear shocks always bottom out before the actual bumpstop. It would be nice to have more travel.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:34 AM
Former Vendor

Do you have a picture of the coilovers for a Cobalt?

I was hoping for more (public) information. Are these going to be offered with a certain spring rate or can the buyer specify? Do the rear shocks have a shorter eye to eye length than what is currently available? I have had three sets of coilovers and the rear shocks always bottom out before the actual bumpstop. It would be nice to have more travel.
The great thing about the forums is, when you have conversational medium like this, you can post any question you would like and people will answer. Given this is my thread, I'd be happy to answer any of the questions you have since your inquisitive brain is in full effect.

With regards to the spring rate, will be utilizing spring rates that we have tested at 9kF/10kR. The stance's are 1k below this. We did this for a couple reasons.

1. The stance rates are tried and true but they do leave a little room on the soft side. Given the incredible valving rates Fortune Auto does, we can up the spring rate a bit without sacrificing too much on the comfort side of things

2. The rear on our cars can bottom out, we felt that with a slighter higher spring rate in the rear, we can avoid this problem even further.

With respect to the rear springs and shocks. Due to the inherent nature of our suspension from factory, there is no possible way to get more suspension travel out of it. Even when we reached out to SWIFT springs for a custom height spring, they said that it would physically impossible to have that short of a spring and be able to do it's just job correctly at the same time. So.... the nature of the spring height will have to stay the same. We have made it just as short as the Stance coilovers (which were an amazing success for this forum) but there is no physical way to get a shorter spring in the rear to thus in turn give you the suspension travel you desire. Blame GM. They were the one's with the shitty engineering.

What's Different here? Several things actually...

Many of which are listed above in the original post:

- Extended Warranty

(2 YEARS Internal / 5 Years External) - Much longer than everyone else out in the market.

We have revised the spring rates and matched the valving to these spring rates for a nice optimum between street daily driver and the occasional track race.

Every shock is hand assembled and shock dyno'd before it leaves the factory in VA. This is a nice way to confirm every shock is to the exact specification and isn't built in Taiwan, put on a container vessel for months at a time and then lands at your front door.

AMSOIL USA oil is used in every shock to ensure that every shock operates the same exact way in hot and cold. Plus this oil is from one of the best oil manufacture's in the country.

Nothing better than one guy who takes the time to build and certify each and every shock at 45min to 60min each shock! It's a lengthy process but ensures quality craftsmanship in the good ol' VA, USA.

This gives Fortune Auto the facts they need to know that each individual coilover is performing the way it should. Nothing is built and then just thrown in the box. It's all MATCHED and VERIFIED in house.

Going back to the shock dyno, the shock can not be more than a 1% difference from the other. If not, they take it all back apart and start over!

- Spring rates that actually match the weight of the vehicle and not random rates

We have gone though rigorous testing of different spring rates and valving types to make certain this is going to work with the mean average weight of your chassis with respect to it's driving style. Countless hours were spent to correctly identify the correct spring rate for you.

- Shocks actually perform as they should over the years, they dont diverge as they get older

What can happen over time with other coilovers is that they can change over time. Valving wears down. Seals wear down. Pistons wear down. Oil viscosity doesn't stay the same and wears out. Fortune Auto coilovers perform the same with YEARS to come. We have seen roughed up rallycross coilovers used to their fullest potential for years, but them back on the shock dyno and they are STILL perform next to good as new.

Yes! No need to send them back to Taiwan or outside the country. Send them back to Virginia and the same patience taken to build them from brand new, the used shocks will be catered to in the same way. Fortune Auto doesn't just send you a replacement shock with a random wide range of valving and hope for the best. They re-match and re-calibrate the shock to the spring, good as new!
Old 04-13-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When will these be available?
Old 04-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jmdubose202
When will these be available?
Actually! Should be available in the next 2 weeks! We are eager to offer this to the community!
Old 04-14-2015, 11:02 AM

I was referring to the length of the shock, not the spring. On the coilovers I've seen, more travel could be gained by using a shock with a shorter collapsed length.

I still might try these, despite my apparent negativity previously.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Funny Powell motorsports was able to make a coilover work with essentially gms shitty twisting beam design. I understand it was modified though but not enough to take away from the way the beam works. Also these cars are quick around a track as is. Also Georgia bay and their koni challenge cobalts did really well in the series as well as in continental challenge. Must be a real shitty design though. Not saying it's perfect or up to par as other designs but it's far from ****.

Spherical beam bushings will allow for travel in the beam by a great deal. where the poly bushings limit travel extensively. The Lowe the car goes the less travel you will really have regardless.

Anyways fortune makes some good stuff. I would like to try a set out. I've pretty much owned all of the suspension setups put there and other then extremely expensive konis, anze or ohlins coilovers nothing works good.

Last edited by Omiotek; 04-14-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:44 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Grave
I was referring to the length of the shock, not the spring. On the coilovers I've seen, more travel could be gained by using a shock with a shorter collapsed length.

I still might try these, despite my apparent negativity previously.
Everyone wants to go lower on the Cobalt but the problem is not the length of the spring (like more circumstances) but rather the suspension geometry of the car. Cobalt's have a really crappy design for the rear in particular and everything is squished together too much. There is no way around an existing suspension geometry that is failed.

What we have done is a lot of what we discussed above but revised the valving considerably, gave a much better warranty and we believe to get the most out of a suspension that is already compressed as far as it can go height wise, SWIFT springs should be used.

I hope this answers your question.

Thank you.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:11 PM

I have the stance coils you did previously and i like the ride, the springs and shock are just too big. i have it all the way down and still have a gap in the rear. Regardless of the spring length I can not get the shock to go any shorter to get it lower. I do think that the height is a useful low and personally wouldn't need any higher of a spring rate. So for people who actually track their car more than a few times a year, I think these would be a good option.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
release date

Any news on the release Date yet?
Old 05-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Former Vendor

will update with a solid release date as soon as we have it!
Old 05-15-2015, 08:00 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
When will you be releasing actual photos of the cobalt parts, not that stock image that was posted above.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:40 PM

I ordered from TH 2 months ago. The stance coilovers were on back order so I went with ksports. I asked about the fortune auto coilovers for cobalts. I was told they weren't making them for our cars. which is why I went ahead and went with ksports which was sort of a last minute thing. kinda shitty information.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:05 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Im very interested
Old 03-09-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Exclusive Extended Warranty ONLY with THM!!

Regular Warranty = 5 years hardware / 1 year internals
**Fortune Auto 550 Coilovers = 5 years hardware / 2 Years internals**

Highlights:
--------------------------------------

- Extended Warranty

Stay Tuned for More Updates !!!
What ever happened to this? Fortune Auto now has a 500 series coil system for us. THM never got us any updates after the initial posts. In 2014 when I lived in VA I talked to Fortune Auto and was going to test coils for them, but I need up to busy. I guess that's when THM jumped on. I'm about to order the 500 series, but of there is a better "550" that was only available through them it would be nice to know.