Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/)
-   -   brake pads anyone? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/brake-pads-anyone-176422/)

no_mo_tires 06-18-2009 02:26 PM

brake pads anyone?

couldnt decide to put this in wheels n tires or suspension so mods plz feel free to move it. anyways what brake pads , would you guys suggest like what brand I am just going to order some from oreillys or napa.

rickdarris2004 06-18-2009 05:44 PM

EBC, nuff said!

Maven 06-18-2009 07:53 PM

I am a big fan of Hawks.

Performance Ceramic is a longer lasting, more friendly than stock pad
HPS is a great upgrade thats still quiet, easy on rotors
HP+ are very grippy, but tend to squeak a little if you dont drive it hard every once in a while.

SS_Ry 06-18-2009 07:56 PM

:lol:

CobaltSSilver 04-09-2010 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Maven (Post 4017728)
I am a big fan of Hawks.

Performance Ceramic is a longer lasting, more friendly than stock pad
HPS is a great upgrade thats still quiet, easy on rotors
HP+ are very grippy, but tend to squeak a little if you dont drive it hard every once in a while.

I've heard good things about the Hawk pads, right now I have EBC Green and they seem to be wearing rather quickly and I haven't even rode on them hard.

Out of the 3 above what are they characteristics? I take it the Ceramic last longer but don't perform as well as the HPS and HP+, is that accurate.

HPS sounds like it won't eat my GMPP rotors, will the HP+ eat my rotors up? Which one will last longer than the greenie and/or as long as the stockers?

Sorry, I thought EBC greens would be what I want, but if they are going to need replacing too often I'm looking elsewhere. Also how do they compare to the 3 Hawk pad options you listed interms of stopping power?

megaman311 04-15-2010 03:18 AM

Hawk pads ftw. I have been using hawk for 5 years now without any issues.

scottherbert 04-15-2010 06:15 AM

I like Hawk.

Scott

Wangspeed 04-15-2010 09:02 AM

For street pads, the Hawk ceramics are good. They dust a little less than the stockers. HPS can make a mess of your wheels, but they perform better. HP+, it's gonna squeal.

CobaltSSilver 04-15-2010 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by megaman311 (Post 4845474)
Hawk pads ftw. I have been using hawk for 5 years now without any issues.

Which Hawk pads?

Racerdad 04-15-2010 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltSSilver (Post 4829010)
I've heard good things about the Hawk pads, right now I have EBC Green and they seem to be wearing rather quickly and I haven't even rode on them hard.

Out of the 3 above what are they characteristics? I take it the Ceramic last longer but don't perform as well as the HPS and HP+, is that accurate.

HPS sounds like it won't eat my GMPP rotors, will the HP+ eat my rotors up? Which one will last longer than the greenie and/or as long as the stockers?

Sorry, I thought EBC greens would be what I want, but if they are going to need replacing too often I'm looking elsewhere. Also how do they compare to the 3 Hawk pad options you listed interms of stopping power?

EBC Reds would hold up longer for you than the Greens. I like them more than the HPS, myself (on a Subie). Nothing wrong with the HPS. I just like more initial bite. HP+ are dusty and squeal often. If you're hardcore, you deal with it, I guess. I like them, too, but the squealing got old for me around town.

CobaltSSilver 04-15-2010 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Racerdad (Post 4846093)
EBC Reds would hold up longer for you than the Greens. I like them more than the HPS, myself (on a Subie). Nothing wrong with the HPS. I just like more initial bite. HP+ are dusty and squeal often. If you're hardcore, you deal with it, I guess. I like them, too, but the squealing got old for me around town.

Thank you for your insight. I might try the Reds, or the Haw Ceramic or the HPS next....not sure....HP+ is out for sure I would go nuts with it making noise all the time.

megaman311 04-15-2010 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Racerdad (Post 4846093)

I have never had brakes squeal. EVER!!!

Dirty25RS 04-15-2010 07:44 PM

Hawk HP+ pads are made for AutoX/Daily driving.

They may be a bit severe for a straight daily driver.

I'd only get them if you plan on autoX'ing at least 10 times this year.

Otherwise all the dust and squeaking aren't worth it.

that being said, they are my favorite brake pad :)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._8154237_n.jpg

395 plus 04-18-2010 06:30 PM

I dont have any more dust from the HPS pads than I did from the stockers.

scottherbert 04-18-2010 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty25RS (Post 4847719)
Hawk HP+ pads are made for AutoX/Daily driving.

They may be a bit severe for a straight daily driver.

I'd only get them if you plan on autoX'ing at least 10 times this year.

Otherwise all the dust and squeaking aren't worth it.

that being said, they are my favorite brake pad :)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._8154237_n.jpg

I use Hawk HP+ pads - but I autocross many times each year.

Scott

CobaltSSilver 04-19-2010 11:32 AM

Good info folks.