Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Caliper Bracket Rubbing on Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Mtb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caliper Bracket Rubbing on Rotor

I recently replaced the stuck right-front caliper & bracket on my 06 SS/SC with a reman from autozone. I also replaced pads & rotors all around.

After taking it for a ride, I took it back apart due to a grinding noise and found that the inner face of the RF rotor was rubbing on the new caliper bracket when the lug nuts are tightened down.

I always assumed that the rotor was supposed to be 'centered' in the opening of the caliper bracket with an equal gap on both sides, however on this one that is not the case as there is a large gap between the outer face of the rotor and bracket.

I suspected that the new caliper bracket was just a screw up, but I looked at the other side with the original bracket & caliper and found that the LF bracket is not much better. There is a 1 - 2mm gap between that bracket and the inner rotor face and a large gap on the outer face.

So my question is, is it normal for the rotor to be offset so much in the caliper bracket? I have a new bracket on order to hopefully eliminate the rubbing issue. I'm just wondering if the rotors may be wrong also.

I am the original owner and the brakes and suspension components are all stock.

Right Front Rotor and Caliper Bracket. Inner face of rotor is rubbing on bracket

Left Front Rotor and Caliper Bracket.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:00 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Did you compare your new rotor to the old rotors you replaced? I'd have to look at a brake rotor to get a feel for this as I am not real familiar with them but I'd wager the replacement rotors you put on have the wrong offset. Where the stock side old caliper looks the same as the replacement caliper I would say the new caliper is correct and not the problem.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:24 PM
Mtb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rotors check out ok. I compared them against the old ones (which are pretty hammered), another set at the parts store, and the dimensions listed on rockauto. Everything matched up.

I ordered a replacement caliper & bracket from autozone and thankfully it fits a lot better. I noticed that the inside part of the bracket that goes around the rotor is machined out which was not the case with the previous one. I still don't know why the original bracket on the driver's side is so close on the inside. Maybe it is bent or maybe this is all a result of bad QC. Whatever, at least I can drive it now.
Attached Thumbnails img_20180409_200028.jpg   img_20180410_190138.jpg