Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Brake upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 06:23 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Brake upgrades

So I had some overheating issues my last track day. I've already replaced my tires - NT01's weren't very sticky anymore taking its toll on the brakes.
I replaced rotors and pads in the back - stock rotors, HP+ pads. Interested in how I like these, I ran DTC70 before but still had this set laying around.
Next, I replaced the brake fluid, which was getting old. I put in Wilwood 570 based on Powell's recommendation.
Then last weekend, I installed Powell's floating rotor on one side to check the fit. They are slightly thicker than stock and with a set of new pads (DTC70) it was an extremely tight fit. Haven't driven it yet (need to obviously do the other side first) so we'll see if they rub or not.
Finally I'm working on better brake ducting, over and above the Powell ones I already have mounted on the control arms. I have some carbon fiber ducts that may or may not work and I have some hoses and mounting stuff on the way from Summit. More on that later. Anyway, on to the pictures! (56k no way lol)

I highly recommend this stuff to prevent the rotors from sticking to the hub, and the wheels from sticking to the rotors.

My driver's side caliper appeared to be seized, spent too much time with too many tools to try and get the piston to go back in. Finally gave up and ordered a replacement caliper.

Old and new: DTC70 pad with some good wear on it, and a brand new HP+ pad

As they are designed to do, the DTC70 pads had worn down my rotors so badly, that I had to grind down
the lip on both sides to get the caliper with the old pads to slide out so I could replace them

While I was in there, I replaced the bleeder valve and caliper bolts on both sides, as they had been slightly rounded during the last brake job I did... Disregard the top valve, I got that one at Napa and it turned out to be wrong. Ended up at the dealer who had a GM dealer in Illinois ship them a couple. PN for future reference.

New caliper arrived, so shiny! Of course once I got the old caliper off, with better access I was able to break loose the pistons. Now I have a spare

Driver's side done!

Passenger side mid- project. No issues getting the pistons to go back in on this side. Phew!

Old and new caliper bolts with PN for future generations lol. I'm not sure why they made these bolts longer, there was really no need for it. It doesn't hurt anything either, as the bolt protrudes inside the "hat" of the rotor.

And now for the fronts.
Here is the old (OEM) rotor (top) next to the Powell floating rotor. They are the same diameter (or of course they wouldn't fit) but the Powell one is a few mm thicker.
I bought these used from Omiotek since Powell has sourcing issues for them at the moment. Wear is minimal so they should still last me a while.

The bigger vanes should help with staying cooler, in addition to the better heat dissipation due to the two part rotor. The hat is aluminum, I still have to weigh them to see if there is a weight difference.

Side-by-side of the inside of the two rotors. The OEM rotor is fairly new and only has one track day under its belt. It's obvious I heated it up pretty good
PS those are rain drops you see, not damage to the rotor.

New rotors and pads; I've had good experiences with the DTC70's, this is my third set for the front axle.

All done!

Nice and shiny. At least the aluminum hat will stay that way and not rust!
The following users liked this post:
Zo6balt (05-09-2020)
Old 08-21-2019, 09:02 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
It also looks like the new rotor has angled vanes instead of straight. I wonder how much that improves airflow as well. And on that longer bolt don't they put the non-threaded tip on to make the bolts easier to install? I always assumed that was an assembly feature but don't know for sure.
The following users liked this post:
Zo6balt (05-09-2020)