Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Eibach Sportlines, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eibach Sportlines, HELP!!

Hey guys, I need some input. I installed my sportlines last weekend, and I love them and how the car handles, but ran into a problem. Ever since I installed them I have had a bad vibration at 20mph, and then it goes away as my speed increases.
I have had my car aligned and tires rotated and balanced, trying to pin point the source of the vibration. Non of which has helped. I have surmised that due to the big drop with the sportlines, that the CV joints and axles are the source of the vibration. I say this cause today while at 20mph I hit the clutch and the vibration stopped. So its something in the drive train and that the only other thing geometry wise that has changed other than alignment is the CV joints/axles.
So my options are tomorrow reinstall the stock ss/sc springs OR has anyone ran the Eibach Pros? And has anyone ran into the same problem. I know the Pros dont drop the car much if any. But are they a stiffer spring? As I said I do love how the car handles and hate to give that up, but Im not gonna risk causing damage to other parts.
I also thought I read some where on the forum about problems folks were having with there cv joints/axles after the sportline install, but I cant seem to find it.
Need your help and thoughts guys.
Thanks!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have sportlines. i dont have that problem
Old 09-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Banned

i just installed my Eibach Sportline springs like 3 hours ago, took the car for a nice drive to test them out, no problems. So its not stiffer springs. Have u told a dealership about this?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:09 PM

i dont think it has anything to do with the springs, i think something else might have went wrong while you were installing. Maybe you hit something by accident with a wrench or w.e and it just knocked something loose?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:12 PM

just a quick question.. im about to actually install my springs, my guys asked me if it voids the warranty...does it?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:15 PM

it viods the suspension warratny
Old 09-06-2008, 08:15 PM

depends on the dealership. in reality it should just void your suspension warrenty
Old 09-06-2008, 08:18 PM

yea, i mean i really dont care, but idk he asked , cuz its his garage and he was jw...
Old 09-06-2008, 08:41 PM

Ok just some insight. This isnt my first spring install, I have done bout a half dozen over the last few year with the cars I have owned. So Im sure I know how to do the install. Everything is tight and nothing is bent. I havnt hit or ran over anything. As I said alignment is dead on and wheels are balanced. I know the geomertry of the cv axles and joints are now different and that is the only thing I can think of to cause the vibration. Also when I press on the clutch at the 20mph the vibration stops.
I know I read on here about a few people have cv joint problems after installing there sportlines. Did a search buy couldnt find it. Dont know if it was just a post or a thread. I know before the install, no vibratoin, now after, a vibration. Also as I said i know the Pro Kit dosnt lower the SS Balt much if any, but I have been doing some reading and it seems that they are a bit stiffer in spring rate. So thinking of getting them.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:45 PM

i dunno man. several have posted here with an ss/sc with sportlines and have no probs.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:10 PM

Oh I agree, It make no sence as to why this is happening. But I know there was no vibration with the stock ss springs. Im pulling my hair out with this problem. I really hate to have to change them back, and I know if I go to the stealership they will judt give me ****.
My buddy who lent a helping hand with the install is a ASE Master Tech and he is at a loss. We are gonna look at at again tomorrow and if we cant figure it out we are putting the stockers back on.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Banned

i have had sportlines for a while and have not had this problem.

i don't think it has to do with the angle of the cv joints, because even after pushing the clutch in, the cv joints are still at the same position and angle, and they're still spinning. i've done many sportline installations for local cobalts, and have never heard of this issue. but if it's an issue with the cv joints, it should do it any time you press the gas, regardless of speed. it will be more evident the higher the gear, and the lower the speed. but if it it was the cv joint, you would feel it at more speeds besides 20 mph. if it is the cv joint, or even if it's not, please to a write up once you get done so we know what to look for if this ever happens again.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:53 PM

Will do man. Ill post up and let ya'll know what I find. My buddy and I are gonna take the fronts apart and then put them back together and reinstall then go for a quick drive. If its still there Ill know right away. At which point we will install the stockers.
Thanks for the feed back.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Well gonna be taking the fronts apart and then reinstall this morning. God I hope its somthing small that is causing the vibration. I love these sportlines. And I was planing on getting a set of 4 225/40/18's next weekend. I also have the TTR rear sway on order. I dont want to have to reinstall the stock springs.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:02 PM

OK,well after looking things over with my buddy (who is a ASE Master Tech) and the one who help me with the install, we think we have narrowed down the problem. And that is the front Hub/wheel bearings. He test drove the car and was hearing some strange noises as well as the vibration I was describing. So we took the right side hub and wheel bearing out and it was very rough when you rotated it. So $150.00 bucks later I/we installed a new one.
Now the noise and vibration is a little less but still there, so next Saturday we are gonna do the left side. And we are hoping that will solve the problem. We know the problem is some where in the drive train but where we are not quite sure.
Thanks for all the input and I feel that it isnt the springs, but there was a problem with in my car and after the drop of the springs it just brought it to the surface, with the change in the cars geometry.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
i think i know what you problem is.. let me find it.

here you go... https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...ght=sportlines
let us know if it fixes the problem.

Last edited by CobaltSS 16; 09-07-2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-07-2008, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS 16
i think i know what you problem is.. let me find it.

here you go... https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...ght=sportlines
let us know if it fixes the problem.
THANK YOU!!!!! I knew there was a thread about this. Im gonna jump on this right away.
I knew it, I knew it. Thank You again!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 PM

Ok guys here is the latest news. I took out the struts and compressed the springs so I could turn the spring plate and rotate the alignment tab inwards towards the engine. Drivers side was off by about 30* and Pass was off by about 90*. Put it all back together and took it out for a drive. GUESS WHAT.
Vibration is still there.
Last weekend when my buddy drove the car he noticed the vibration at all speeds and gears. At higher speeds the vibration is of course much faster, at lower speeds is like a shutter. So I got to thinking back to my original statment. CV Axles/Joints. I know no one has ever had that problem before, but As the old saying goes each car is different. Mine I guess dosnt like the extreem drop of the sportlines.
So this Saturday the stockers are going back in. And if the vibration goes away the my guess was correct.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:36 PM

i've done alot of exteme drops over the years, i just don't see the springs being the cause of your vibration... but let us know i'd be intrested to see what you find out.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 PM

Well thats what gets me, I too have droped a handful of my cars, Mazda PR5, Hyunai Tiburon GT, Dodge SRT4, and Mustang GT 07. First 3 with H&R's and the Mustang with Eicach's. The first 3 are all front whell drive and never had a single vibration. SO Im at a loss. But I know I cant live with the vibration and need to reinstall the stockers. I might try and start over by taking the struts back out and removing the sprotlines, then reinstalling them. Just to give it one last try. But I hate to do that to only have the vibration still be there and then have to take it all apart to install the stockers. HELL I DONT KNOW.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:55 PM

nice, looks like you change cars every year or two lol... u've had some pretty wicked rides it looks like, i had the mazdaspeed protege, but i never lowered it... however did lower 95 geo tracker 2.5 all around no issues, scion xb 2" all around no issues. had a truck with extreme drop like 5 in front 7 in rear i think with no issues.

sucks man, maybe take by a suspension shop let them look at it to try to at least diagnose it... im going to be installing the sportlines this friday so i hope i don't run into this issue. but im in a 08 ls.. wish me luck if it was something specific to the sportlines u'd think someone else would have had same issue tho.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by knoxbox
nice, looks like you change cars every year or two lol... u've had some pretty wicked rides it looks like, i had the mazdaspeed protege, but i never lowered it... however did lower 95 geo tracker 2.5 all around no issues, scion xb 2" all around no issues. had a truck with extreme drop like 5 in front 7 in rear i think with no issues.

sucks man, maybe take by a suspension shop let them look at it to try to at least diagnose it... im going to be installing the sportlines this friday so i hope i don't run into this issue. but im in a 08 ls.. wish me luck if it was something specific to the sportlines u'd think someone else would have had same issue tho.

Very True. Thats what is blowing my mind. Im gonna take it all apart and then reinstall the sportlines one more time. Aint got nothing else to do on Saturday.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:37 AM

Well after sleeping on it, I still can seem to figure out what to do. I know I posted a few day ago about having to perplace the right side hub and bearing, so Im thinking of doing the same on the left. Not sure if its gonna help with the vibration. But its worth a shot. Guess while I have it up and apart I go over everything again for the umpteenth time. Go this is driving me nuts.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:55 PM

This vibration is gonna put my in the nut house. I am so at a loss at to what it could be. Saturday Im gonna take it all apart, fronts and rears and start all over with the install. Along with the TTR rear sway bar that just came in.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:23 PM

Well I am gonna take it all apart tomorrow. And then reinstall everything. My buddy and I are planing to jack up the car under the lower control arms to help load the front suspension and cv axles/joints and then start the car and try to get the front wheel speed up to 20mph (where the onset of the vibration is) and see if anything if out of place or vibrating.
The only other thing we did during the original install was tighten everything with air tools and didnt use a tq wrench except on the lugs. So if its somthing is to tight then it will be fixed tomorrow, but if its an axle or joint that in a bind then the stocker are gonna have to go back in.
I was kinda hoping that somone is or has had the same issue, but I guess that all the cobalt ss's out there on sportlines dont have issues with being lowered.

Quick Reply: Eibach Sportlines, HELP!!