Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

LNF SS/TC Brembo Calipers Part Numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...soooo does anyone have the brembos on the SS/SC's yet??!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:20 PM

The frt brakes on the 2008-09 SS\TC are not brembos, I called brembo NA and they said that The cobalt is not one of their vehicles, only the corvette ZR1\Z06\cts-v. Also, on the first page of this thread the parts listed that someone found from GM web info is for a ACDelco part as stated in that post.

The brembos will not fit on a SS\SC without bigger As in (wider), wheels with the proper off set and such.

Some idiot also on page 1 or 2 of this thread said that the SS\TC has brembos in the rear. Nope, Stock SS\Sc rear brakes, just a little bigger though.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:26 PM

subscribed
Old 10-20-2008, 07:28 PM

No match

Brembo North America does not have that part number listed.

Originally Posted by Maven
The rotors are part#: 15893541

There is no pricing information yet, expect that closer to when the car is released.
No, older SS do not have brembos. You need to do lots of home work.

Originally Posted by blacksssc05
turns out we already have brembo brakes

Last edited by SportredSS; 10-20-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-20-2008, 09:07 PM

there not brembos??? then why make all the hype and have every single editor from all the car magazines say there great brembos???? that makes no sence??? i work at chevy i will confirm this tomorrow. cuz when i put the numbers into the computer it showed up brembo.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 PM

Talked to three brembo NA reps, one of which was a marketing mgr and they were all suprised that a COBALT as they put it, had brembos on it! They show no parts for the Cobalt SS\TC 2008-2009 or any cobalt for that matter. The Brembo reps are looking into this Tuesday. They put the part numbers in and got Zero, zip, and this is Brembo North America I'm talking about

They said it's most likely a big AC Delco unit with a brembo stamp on it to help the car sell. You'll not find any answers at a stupid chevy dealer, you've got to go above them, hell my sales manager that I bought my 2008.5 SS from fought "tooth and nail" with me saying the new SS was superchargerd, trust me the dealers know little if anything about these cars.

Maybe Brembo is stupid, we'll see soon enuogh as I expect a call back tues or wed.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SportredSS
The frt brakes on the 2008-09 SS\TC are not brembos

The brembos will not fit on a SS\SC without bigger As in (wider), wheels with the proper off set and such.

Some idiot also on page 1 or 2 of this thread said that the SS\TC has brembos in the rear. Nope, Stock SS\Sc rear brakes, just a little bigger though.
They are Brembos. If they arent Brembos why do you tell us that they Brembos wont fit an SS/SC without bigger wheels(Oh thanks for the tip btw Captain Obvious, that hasnt been posted numerosu times before either) Its already been established that the rears arent Brembos, no need to call people idiots especially when youre posting this crap. And they arent just a "little" bigger, they quite a bit larger.

Brembo North America does not have that part number listed.
Wow, how about that, because all the numbers posted here are GENERAL MOTORS part numbers.

Talked to three brembo NA reps, one of which was a marketing mgr and they were all suprised that a COBALT as they put it, had brembos on it! They show no parts for the Cobalt SS\TC 2008-2009 or any cobalt for that matter. The Brembo reps are looking into this Tuesday. They put the part numbers in and got Zero, zip, and this is Brembo North America I'm talking about

They said it's most likely a big AC Delco unit with a brembo stamp on it to help the car sell. You'll not find any answers at a stupid chevy dealer, you've got to go above them, hell my sales manager that I bought my 2008.5 SS from fought "tooth and nail" with me saying the new SS was superchargerd, trust me the dealers know little if anything about these cars.
What division of Brembo did you talk to? Because if you called the aftermarket division they obviously arent going to know anything about what brake systems the OE division is supplying. That should pretty obvious since they told you that the Z06 uses Brembos, when it doesnt
Again, the part numbers are GM numbers.

Somehow I doubt that GM is going to go and put a Brembo logo on an ACDelco caliper. Pretty sure the lawyers would frown on that.

So youve got a 2008.5 SS? Hmmmm thats a neat trick, never heard of one of those before, so is the 2008.5 the one that has the big 315mm ACDelco rotors and 38mm forged 4 psiton aluminum calipers with the Brembo logos on them??? LMFAO
Old 10-22-2008, 12:57 AM

umh yeah they are brembos because as pointed out why put the name on the brakes if there not??? talk about lawsuit waiting to happen. and they do fit just get what has been stated for the swap. look hard people are doing this conversion...
Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM

Brembo will not have parts available to the public the same way that they don't for many other OEM applications. They deal directly and exclusively with the OEM manufacturer, such as GM or Mitsubishi or Subaru or etc. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that's part of the legalese in the agreement. Suffice to say that the front brakes on the new Cobalt SS are Brembo parts. In fact, I just got some of them in; the calipers and pads are marked with Brembo logos and are manufactured in Italy. Rest assured they are genuine. BTW, Brembo makes the brake hardware on the Z06 Corvette, but the calipers have the Corvette name on them instead. It's all marketing types and product managers deciding about which name is more important, significant, etc.

The rear brakes are not Brembo, true, but they are also a significant upgrade to the previous SS. They have larger and vented rotors (as opposed to solid rotors in previous SS applications), and the calipers and brake pads are larger. The only part number I am missing is for the pad kit; GM doesn't seem to even have it available through parts departments.

I'm hoping to have the rest of the parts needed for the front brakes this week, and I'll get pictures and stuff up when I install them. The minimum parts required it seems now are the two calipers, rotors, pad kit, and caliper pin kit.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:21 PM

that would be awesome lol and please inform us how this works out!!!!! im really intrested
Old 10-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Banned

whatever happened to sportredss after that bitch slapping maven just gave him. that was too funny
Old 11-13-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has any more been discovered/researched on teh relation between the SS/TC knuckles and the COmpetitive Use ones? I'm going to be getting SS/TC axles, knuckles, (aftermarket) rotors, and calipers soon if I verify it all fits. I will forgo the knuckles in favor of the Competitive Use ones if the difference is significant; otherwise I'll take the SS/TC's for 1/2 the price, lol.

Also - any conflict with ABS sensors and crap? If I upgrade my fronts and rears along with the master, will my ABS system know what to do with it all?!
Old 11-13-2008, 11:18 PM

I doubt any info will ever be released regarding real differences between the knuckles, unless GM releases it.

No, theres no conflict, it wont know that its got Brembos on it, In use I doubt youd ever see a significant difference in ABS stopping distance between a native Brembo car, and an upgraded one.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:35 PM

Thumbs up

I did it! Actually, did a couple of weeks ago. Already been to the track on them; got 2 whole seconds down on my best lap time! Just haven't been able to get online at all; too much going on.

I was so psyched to find that all the research I had done proved out. So many times you go through this only to find that there's something you've missed at the end of it that throws a wrench in the works. But I just installed the pads, put the discs and calipers on, attached the brake hoses, bled the system, and voila--instant stoppage! At heat I was braking too early before I got used to my new shorter braking distances; that's a realization to bring a smile on my face. BTW, this is all OEM pads (OE fronts from TC, OE rears from SC), so once aftermarket compounds become available it should feel even better.

One thing to note: I had to use my 15mm spacers on the front to make sure the wheels (either the Solstice or Cobalt SS) would clear the calipers. So for those of you looking to do this be sure to get wheels that provide a short enough offset from center to clear the spokes from the calipers or get the longer wheel studs and spacers on the front (those spacers are the Eibach ones; the studs are the Dorman ones). Besides the wheel stuff, the only brake parts required were the 2 calipers, 1 pad kit, and 2 caliper pin kits. Fantastico!

I'll be working up a How-To on this as soon as I get around to it. I love it when stuff works!
Old 11-22-2008, 04:15 PM

Congrats. 15mm spacers...ouch

Not sure why you sound so surprised that it worked, there really wasnt ever any significant doubts
Old 12-19-2008, 04:03 PM

Congrats. 15mm spacers...ouch

Not sure why you sound so surprised that it worked, there really wasnt ever any significant doubts
you rock
Old 12-19-2008, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Zoidborg
I'll be working up a How-To on this as soon as I get around to it. I love it when stuff works!
And I'll be waiting to check it out. Us Ion guys could use some LE5/JL9 loving.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:49 PM

Heres the how to:

Buy necessary parts(listed 17 dozen times here)

Rrmove old parts.
Install new parts.

The brembos are just as easy if not easier to install than stock rotors and calipers. I vote a howto never be done on the basis that if you cant figure out how to do it with all the information thats available here and on ecotec forum that youll likely hurt someone.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:13 PM

Heres the how to:

Rrmove old parts.
Install new parts.

The brembos are just as easy if not easier to install than stock rotors and calipers. I vote a howto never be done on the basis that if you cant figure out how to do it with all the information thats available here and on ecotec forum that youll likely hurt someone.
like they say in france, dix -quatre
Old 12-19-2008, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by qwikredline
like they say in france, dix -quatre
Or decimus quartus even.

My latin has suffered a great deal.....I think thats the proper versions for this usage, they didnt really use radio code in Rome.

Last edited by Maven; 12-19-2008 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-20-2008, 08:33 PM

Anyone get these things onto a Solstice or Sky yet?
Old 12-20-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by shabodah
Anyone get these things onto a Solstice or Sky yet?
They dont bolt up.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:42 AM

They dont bolt up.
I know they don't bolt up, I just figured someone might have fabricated caliper mounts by now. I suppose it's more likely we'll see the ZR1 brakes on the solstice, though, eh?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by shabodah
I know they don't bolt up, I just figured someone might have fabricated caliper mounts by now. I suppose it's more likely we'll see the ZR1 brakes on the solstice, though, eh?
Hmmm..... $6000+ 15.5" front brakes........not likely.

Some asshat will do it eventually
Old 12-25-2008, 10:57 PM

Heres the how to:

Rrmove old parts.
Install new parts.

Har har.

I was more specifically talking about some of the things that were suggested, but I don't recall seeing a definitive answer about. If I've ready correctly, the only parts that need to be swapped out are the actual calipers and bolts, pads, and rotors? The brake lines were confirmed to be the same? And besides needing more spoke clearance, it's a 100% compatible with LE3 and regular LE5 setups...

If that's the case, then I will most likely be looking into doing this swap down the road as well (no pun intended). Doing a full FE5 conversion will be first on the list, however.

Quick Reply: LNF SS/TC Brembo Calipers Part Numbers?