Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Make it Softer!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make it Softer!

Ok..i have read through the threads and i can't find anything on this. I'm looking to make the ride a bit softer and handle pot holes better! I don't go to the track and never plan on it, and all i can find are tips on how to sport tune, and track tuning. So the question I have is, How can I get my car to handle Pot Holes and bumps better/.??? Sadly, Schenectady is pot hole heaven, and they have almost no budget to fix road problems so... the street conditions are bad here.

I have the 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS supercharged 2dr coupe. 2.0 L. Are there good shocks and struts I can use to make it just a little softer, luxiourous ride? Right now when i hit a bump, it go's right through the car and up my spine. I'm not sport driving so I don't need track stiff suspension. Are there struts and such out there that will handle the poor city streets better? All i do is city driving so...There has to be a make and brand that can help with bumps and potholes.

Thank You,

Gary C.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts
Koni adjustables. New strut mounts in the front, while your at it if you want to lower - find springs you like.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:56 PM

suggestions

I will take suggestions if u have them! since i'm not familiar with the suspension stuff... I will take all the advice i can get. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:48 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
I'm betting everything on your car is worn.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
If you want comfort then just get new oem replacements imo
Old 05-21-2017, 05:09 AM

asdf
Old 05-21-2017, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by cluelessk
I'm betting everything on your car is worn.
what the hell is that even supposed to mean? Do you always just make random flippant responses to people? If your not going to be helpful why bother even replying other than to make yourself look like an ass?
Old 05-21-2017, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
Koni adjustables. New strut mounts in the front, while your at it if you want to lower - find springs you like.
I was told it was already lowered by the previous owner. I just havent measured to verify, nor do i know what a unlowered one looks like to know the difference so. I will check it soon though. I'm just sick of it feeling like there are no shocks at all when i hit a pot hole. as i said there are lots here in this city. and i do mostly city driving so, i really don't need racetrack suspension in city driving. Last guy who had the car did mods making it more track ready. But you know what, it all looks and sounds impressive on paper...'ahem. but in real life, you can't tell that much by just looking at it from a distance so. I rather it drive nice, since i'm not trying to impress anyone with a long list of mods. Though I do have them. I have lots and Lots of zzp parts on it, but Don't feel the need to have to list them to impress you all. So... Thanks. But I know I may have to list them later for help with one other issue i'm having, clearing up a Driving too lean error code. Its been a bitch.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:09 AM

What I I'm.saying is it's probably not just one component causing the issues. Our cars bushings and such suck. So replacing just struts probably won't solve everything.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:15 AM

thanks

ok that makes much more sense, thanks. So what do you believe would or should be needed to make it better? I know the suspension had word done on it before i got it, but I don't know what was done so. Oh and also... is it better to have a lowering kit on it? or does that further degrade the rebound after more severe potholes? Which bushings on or in what locations. etc.. would help me out a lot. again, syspension is my weakest point. I know much more about engines than suspension. like 1000 times more. thanks again.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Cotugno
ok that makes much more sense, thanks. So what do you believe would or should be needed to make it better? I know the suspension had word done on it before i got it, but I don't know what was done so. Oh and also... is it better to have a lowering kit on it? or does that further degrade the rebound after more severe potholes? Which bushings on or in what locations. etc.. would help me out a lot. again, syspension is my weakest point. I know much more about engines than suspension. like 1000 times more. thanks again.
Control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, spring insulators etc.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
If you have lowering spring that's probably the main reason you have a rough ride. I would start replacing everything such as springs with oem ones, struts, control arm bushing etc
Old 05-23-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Another important factor would be rim diameter - you probably have 18's and switching down to 17's would definitely help with ride comfort, as it gives you a little more sidewall to absorb bumps.
You could even go with a slightly larger tire diameter, to get a taller sidewall, by playing with the aspect ratio to help your cause (IE: instead of the factory 215/45/17 (24.6" diameter), step up to something like a 235/45/17 (25.3" diameter)).
Old 05-23-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by Viperoni
Another important factor would be rim diameter - you probably have 18's and switching down to 17's would definitely help with ride comfort, as it gives you a little more sidewall to absorb bumps.
You could even go with a slightly larger tire diameter, to get a taller sidewall, by playing with the aspect ratio to help your cause (IE: instead of the factory 215/45/17 (24.6" diameter), step up to something like a 235/45/17 (25.3" diameter)).
This is one of the most overlooked factors in ride comfort.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:09 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
^ yep, smaller the profile-45-40-35 the harsher the ride. Taller sidewall equals more cushion.
Op-if it's got lowering springs on it and he didn't trim the bump stops you could just be bottoming out against them without a whole lot of shock travel. In the end 40 sidewall tires aren't made to handle much of a pothole.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
I would definitely run a tire with a 45 series sidewall. That's what I did on my sedan and it tremendously improved ride comfort. I also replaced all the suspension components that wear out easily on these cars. (Sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, strut mounts, control arm bushings, etc)