Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/)
-   -   OEM brake parts w/o OEM pricing (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/oem-brake-parts-w-o-oem-pricing-314916/)

soundjunky 12-30-2014 12:27 PM

OEM brake parts w/o OEM pricing

Before the bash-fest starts, two points;
1) I already searched, and didn't find any suitable threads.
2) I am Canadian, so take GM's parts pricing and add about 100% - that's roughly what it costs to buy locally.

I seem to recall in years bygone that there was info here about who was the OEM brake pad/rotor manufacturer's, and this would help you buy OEM stuff without having to go to the general...

My car is about to hit the 5 year anniversary of ownership.
I had the OEM brakes last me over three years.
Last year spring/summer I replaced my brakes with non-OEM pads & rotors, and I had figured that it was good brand (no bashing intended, so I'm not going to say at this time whos' parts they were);
Virtually right out of the door my front rotors warped... bad.
OEM: 3.5 years
aftermarket: <1 year

After a consult with a GM service manager (he knew the parts I installed), he discouraged me from trying to get rid of my brake-wobble by turning the front rotors citing that they are made too thin these days to safely turn, and still hold heat/function properly - he suggested I simply replace.

And now as of a couple weeks ago, my parking brake has ceased to function... great.

I am looking to know if anyone here can tell me what the OEM parts are, so that if I can avoid buying from a local dealer, that I can save a couple bucks.
  1. Front Brake pads
  2. Front rotors
  3. Rear brake pads
  4. Rear rotors

I am not interested in any vented/cross drilled aftermarket, I use this car as a daily driver, and the upcoming (February) 5 year anniversary of my purchase should coincidentally also be about the time that I hit the 160,000km mark (where my powertrian warranty expires) - I would like to have some good brakes back on this thing ~ I am plain old sick and tired of light breaking sending my steering wheel into a seizure.

I sincerely appreciate any help that can be offered.

Spawne32 12-30-2014 12:32 PM

Do you have brembos, or LSJ brakes?

Dutchman 12-30-2014 12:46 PM

Crateenginedepot.com, decent prices, good parts delivered quickly

Spawne32 12-30-2014 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dutchman (Post 7463170)
Crateenginedepot.com, decent prices, good parts delivered quickly

Yehhh, no, CED is insanely overpriced with most stuff. Brembo 25808929 front pads (oem's) on CED are 173.60, yet they are only 131.44 from GMpartsdirect.com.

blueLNFftw 12-30-2014 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Spawne32 (Post 7463236)
Yehhh, no, CED is insanely overpriced with most stuff. Brembo 25808929 front pads (oem's) on CED are 173.60, yet they are only 131.44 from GMpartsdirect.com.

and GM parts direct charges insane shipping.

They list the GMPP clutch kit for like $20 cheaper than CED. Then shipping makes it $30 more haha.

Spawne32 12-30-2014 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSSstg2 (Post 7463260)
and GM parts direct charges insane shipping.

They list the GMPP clutch kit for like $20 cheaper than CED. Then shipping makes it $30 more haha.

Depends on the part, but CED also charges shipping as well.

TStone 12-30-2014 03:47 PM

Front pads - 17D1379C - $40 shipped on Amazon - $48 on Rockauto
Rear pads - 17D1095CH - $40 shipped on Amazon - $45 on Rockauto

Front Rotors - 18A2938 - $48/ea (x2) on Rockauto - $96
Rear Rotors - 18A2656 - $24/ea (x2) on Rockauto - $48

Good thing i'm not busy at work :lol:

Spawne32 12-30-2014 05:10 PM

ACdelco professional are not the same as the OEM brembos on the TC's, on the LSJ's yeh thats the OEM but not on the brembo setups.

TStone 12-30-2014 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Spawne32 (Post 7463338)
ACdelco professional are not the same as the OEM brembos on the TC's, on the LSJ's yeh thats the OEM but not on the brembo setups.

Technically they are OEM :)

Viperoni 12-30-2014 06:05 PM

Brake rotor "warping" is actually caused by the pads, not the rotors.

I've always gone with the cheapest blank rotors I could find and the best pads, and I've never had any warping. That includes actual road course usage too.

LNFTX 12-30-2014 06:16 PM

Most of the information you need is in a thread you made about a year and a half ago when you decided to put those raybestos pads on there. Get the part numbers from there or ced or rockauto and go to Amazon they usually have the best combo of price and shipping
Rear pads 15271565 / 1710953
Rear rotor 15921402 / 1771057

soundjunky 12-31-2014 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Viperoni (Post 7463358)
Brake rotor "warping" is actually caused by the pads, not the rotors.

I've always gone with the cheapest blank rotors I could find and the best pads, and I've never had any warping. That includes actual road course usage too.

ok, good to know.
Unfortunately I had installed a matched set of pads & rotors - so you would think that they would be ideally paired together.

Originally Posted by Spawne32 (Post 7463338)

^^ this is nuts on;
As an example, Raybestos used to be OEM/Premium replacements - but that never made them the actual OEM parts...
My guess is that the AC Delco professional for the '09 Cobalt SS are a re-boxed Raybestos part - but not original equipment.

I am only interested in knowing who manufactures the Original Equipment Manufactured for my cars brakes.

Originally Posted by TStone (Post 7463290)
Front pads - 17D1379C - $40 shipped on Amazon - $48 on Rockauto
Rear pads - 17D1095CH - $40 shipped on Amazon - $45 on Rockauto

Front Rotors - 18A2938 - $48/ea (x2) on Rockauto - $96
Rear Rotors - 18A2656 - $24/ea (x2) on Rockauto - $48

Good thing i'm not busy at work :lol:

Those are AC Deloc 'professional';
And guys, I appreciate the help, but I didn't once ask for "who sells at the best price with shipping" - I am looking to know the actual manufacturer of the brake components;
I am pretty sure that the only "brembo" manufactured part are the calipers.

Here's why I am looking, yesterday I got a quote from a local dealership (all parts are quoted below listed Canadian retail);
Fr rotor #25994100 = $144.53/ea
R rotor #15921402 = $110.40/ea
Fr pads #25808929 = $375.00
R pads #15271565 = $131.99

again I sincerely appreciate any help that can be offered - and if nothing else other responses keep the thread "current" so that more people see it.

soundjunky 12-31-2014 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by LNFTX (Post 7463365)
Most of the information you need is in a thread you made about a year and a half ago when you decided to put those other pads on there. Get the part numbers from there or ced or rockauto and go to Amazon they usually have the best combo of price and shipping
Rear pads 15271565 / 1710953
Rear rotor 15921402 / 1771057

i will not buy them again.
I am very disappointed with that purchase.

Spawne32 12-31-2014 12:43 PM

Yeh id stay away from acdelco brake pads, you dont really know what your getting. I know they do offer a "police grade" rotor for the LSJ brakes but I dont know about the TC. Acdelco doesnt make anything, they are a distributor of wholesale parts. For instance, ignition coils, made by denso, come in acdelco boxes when you buy the cheaper acdelco brand on rockauto.

As far as rotors warping, brake pads are typically the most common cause like viperoni said, but rotors can physically warp in shape if they overheat often. What you will commonly get though is patchy spots of wear from being to brake happy. Something that my mother does often on her LT because she uses her brake pedal like an on off switch, rather then a smooth action coming to a stop. You have to think of it like a bench grinder, if you dig in too hard in one spot, your gonna make the surface uneven.

soundjunky 12-31-2014 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spawne32 (Post 7463928)
Yeh id stay away from acdelco brake pads, you dont really know what your getting. I know they do offer a "police grade" rotor for the LSJ brakes but I dont know about the TC. Acdelco doesnt make anything, they are a distributor of wholesale parts. For instance, ignition coils, made by denso, come in acdelco boxes when you buy the cheaper acdelco brand on rockauto.

As far as rotors warping, brake pads are typically the most common cause like viperoni said, but rotors can physically warp in shape if they overheat often. What you will commonly get though is patchy spots of wear from being to brake happy. Something that my mother does often on her LT because she uses her brake pedal like an on off switch, rather then a smooth action coming to a stop. You have to think of it like a bench grinder, if you dig in too hard in one spot, your gonna make the surface uneven.

my OEM rotors never warped.
I am not driving any different...

I did use some tips on here, and found the actual parts for MUCH cheaper than local - but as you stated, GM doesn't make their own parts, I was just wondering here if anyone has done the leg-work to figure out who's parts were our SS/TC's original equipment so that I don't HAVE TO go to the local dealership to get extorted...

Viperoni 12-31-2014 03:47 PM

but rotors can physically warp in shape if they overheat often. What you will commonly get though is patchy spots of wear from being to brake happy. Something that my mother does often on her LT because she uses her brake pedal like an on off switch, rather then a smooth action coming to a stop. You have to think of it like a bench grinder, if you dig in too hard in one spot, your gonna make the surface uneven.

No.

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

LNFTX 12-31-2014 04:21 PM

Yeh id stay away from acdelco brake pads, you dont really know what your getting. I know they do offer a "police grade" rotor for the LSJ brakes but I dont know about the TC. Acdelco doesnt make anything, they are a distributor of wholesale parts. For instance, ignition coils, made by denso, come in acdelco boxes when you buy the cheaper

Last two sets of factory ferrodo front pads ive bought were sold by ac delco...

Op those numbers in my last post are the correct factory rear pads and rotors, in the other thread are the numbers for the factory fronts

Spawne32 12-31-2014 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Viperoni (Post 7463970)

ok :lol:

umrdyldo 12-31-2014 04:35 PM

CED can't match these prices. Sorry. These are all factory parts.

Rear Rotor
Amazon.com: ACDelco 177-1057 GM Original Equipment Rear Disc Brake Rotor: Automotive

Front Rotors
Amazon.com: ACDelco 177-1056 GM Original Equipment Front Disc Brake Rotor: Automotive

Rear Pads
Amazon.com: ACDelco 171-0953 GM Original Equipment Rear Disc Brake Pad Kit: Automotive

Front Pads
http://goo.gl/BGuC7T

LNFTX 12-31-2014 04:39 PM

Copy and save that post for the next eleventy billion times someone asks where they can get tc brake pads cheap

Spawne32 12-31-2014 04:40 PM

Yeh, notice the minor part # difference in price compared to what Tstone posted though. lol

umrdyldo 12-31-2014 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spawne32 (Post 7464002)
Yeh, notice the minor part # difference in price compared to what Tstone posted though. lol

The stock front ferodo brake pads are expensive bastards but they are some of the best so whatever.

turbocharged717 12-31-2014 05:40 PM

I just bought these pads and rotors. Waiting for them to arrive.

soundjunky 01-01-2015 04:26 PM

just before the latest amazon link were posted, I found exactly those- and pulled the trigger...
sorry to anyone else wanting to buy a full set - iirc there were only three rear rotors when I found it that...

Originally Posted by umrdyldo (Post 7464012)
The stock front ferodo brake pads are expensive bastards but they are some of the best so whatever.

that name rings a bell - I seem to recall this being posted several years ago, but I couldn't find it...

Thanks guys!

Locally four rotors and both pad sets would have set me back $951.77
Buying on amazon.com put the same parts with free shipping in at $341.35usd ~ with the minor inconvenience of having to drive to the border and back (3 hours each way), which saved me another $150 in shipping!