Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/)
-   -   Official Koni Club (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/official-koni-club-105805/)

Dunkinuts 04-08-2008 04:31 PM

Official Koni Club

Ok since they are at my door waiting for my to come home. I think we should start up a club to talk about settings, pros, cons, suggestions for set ups, etc. I will also be making a sig marker for club members :) (you must show them with/installed the car to get in.)

Koni Club Members

1. Dunkinuts
2. Brandon97Z
3. Cobalt30
4. Fallen33
5. CARLYLE
6. gRuNg3b0y
7. sherm420
8. 07MetallicSC
9. eazyasone23
10. Fidget
11. 395 plus

Adjustment Process

FRONT

Rebound Adjustment Procedures
Externally Adjustable. These dampers can be adjusted, literally at the turn of a knob, a technique borrowed from Formula-1 racing where KONI dampers have dominated the field for years. One can switch back and forth, in most cases in a matter of seconds, from a comfortable "touring" setting to a more firmer setting for a sporty drive. By means of a knob damping forces can be altered to driving conditions or personal preferences.

REBOUND ADJUSTMENT DIRECTION

Clockwise = Softer
Counter Clockwise = Firmer

REAR

Rebound Adjustment Procedures
Remove the shock absorber from the vehicle and hold it vertically with the lower eye or pin attached in a vise. Use clamp plates to prevent damage.

Fully collapse the shock absorber, at the same time turning the dust cap or piston rod slowly to the left (counterclockwise), until it is felt that the cams of the adjustment nut engage in the recesses of the foot valve assembly.

The damper may have already been adjusted. Therefore check whether the shock absorber is in the adjustment position or not by keeping it collapsed and gently turning it further to the left counting at the same time the half turns until a stop is felt. Stop turning then and do not use force.

Keeping the shock absorber collapsed, make 1 half turn (180 degrees) to the right (clockwise). In case of prior adjustment add the number of half the turns previously found. The total range is about 5 half turns.

Pull the shock absorber out vertically without turning for at least 1 cm to disengage the adjusting mechanism. The dust cap or piston rod may now be turned freely.

ADJUSTING DIRECTION
Clockwise = Firmer
Counter Clockwise = Softer

http://www.koni-na.com/pics/81adj.gif http://www.koni-na.com/pics/80adj.gif

Cobalt30 04-08-2008 04:32 PM

Too lazy to take pics but im in the club lol

Brandon97Z 04-08-2008 06:05 PM

I guess i was the first member

Dunkinuts 04-08-2008 06:35 PM

^^^ sweet pictures

what settings do you have them on? how long have you had them

well i made it so i am first you are second

Cobalt30 04-08-2008 07:22 PM

your lucky konis are bad ass and i love em. other wise i woudlnt of uploaded this one pic just to join haha http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...0AbtmLdwzaOWIg

now add me as official.... suckers :twothumbs:cssNET:

Brandon97Z 04-08-2008 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dunkinuts (Post 2180425)
^^^ sweet pictures

what settings do you have them on? how long have you had them

well i made it so i am first you are second

I was the test car when these were designed ;), i don;t even have a production set. I usually just leave them on full soft but will turn the fronts to full firm and the rears to 3/4firm when i get an ich to go drive up the twisties. Set the rears to full firm and fronts to full soft at the drag strip.

Dunkinuts 04-08-2008 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon97Z (Post 2180689)
I was the test car when these were designed ;), i don;t even have a production set. I usually just leave them on full soft but will turn the fronts to full firm and the rears to 3/4firm when i get an ich to go drive up the twisties. Set the rears to full firm and fronts to full soft at the drag strip.

awesome. do you happen to know what they are when they come? i am thinking of putting them full soft and if i like the handling then keep it. but not hard is it to change them. I know the fronts are easy but that backs you have to remove don't you?

Dunkinuts 04-09-2008 04:11 PM

only three people have konis?

Cobalt30 04-09-2008 04:45 PM

only 3 people are big enough dorks to wanna be in a Koni club lol :lol:

joeyblaze 04-09-2008 04:51 PM

wait am i slow but i thought they didnt make shocks ment for lowering springs for our cars. are these brand new, i have G5-GT same as SS/NA would these work>? please give a link....

ARE THESE THE ONES U HAVE CUT OPEN THE FRONT STRUT OR SOMETHING?

how hard is that sorry for caps

Switt23 04-09-2008 05:10 PM

These have been around a year or so...

The shafts are shortened to reduce the "bottoming out" factor and are revalved basically for the lowered car. You do have to cut up the stock front struts, but once you put a set of koni's on, you'll never want to go back to stock.

Brandon97Z 04-09-2008 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dunkinuts (Post 2180776)
awesome. do you happen to know what they are when they come? i am thinking of putting them full soft and if i like the handling then keep it. but not hard is it to change them. I know the fronts are easy but that backs you have to remove don't you?

Not sure what setting they come as when shipped as koni had them installed when i picked my car up. The rears are easy to do, just not as easy as the fronts. There's two bolts that hold the rear shock on, one on top one on the botom. Remove those pull the shock out and compress it all the way down. To frim them up i think you twist it clockwise and counter-clockwise to soften them up (that could be switched up you should have directions with them that tell you which way is which).

Cobalt30 04-09-2008 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Switt23 (Post 2184480)
These have been around a year or so...

The shafts are shortened to reduce the "bottoming out" factor and are revalved basically for the lowered car. You do have to cut up the stock front struts, but once you put a set of koni's on, you'll never want to go back to stock.

Thats because you cant go back to stock :lol:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...0AbtmLdwzaOWIg

CobaltSS 16 04-09-2008 06:05 PM

Looks like people love them. I think if I were to upgrade my struts, for a little more, I would get coilovers though.

blk_cobalt 04-09-2008 07:18 PM

I'm getting mine installed tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

idunn 04-09-2008 07:22 PM

how much do these run? and what springs are you all on?

Dunkinuts 04-09-2008 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by idunn (Post 2185003)
how much do these run? and what springs are you all on?

i spent right around 900 shipped for konis at all four fours and H&R race springs.

Originally Posted by blk_cobalt (Post 2184981)

get pic and you can join the club ;)

Cobalt30 04-09-2008 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by blk_cobalt (Post 2184981)

doing it yourself? Its not a bad time. I did mine today with no assistance from anybody. Its just time consuming but still not even that bad.

Brandon97Z 04-10-2008 01:32 AM

konis=freee

WHITE G5 04-10-2008 01:53 AM

i got konis, but only the rear's

HunterKiller89 04-10-2008 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dunkinuts (Post 2185140)
i spent right around 900 shipped for konis at all four fours and H&R race springs.

get pic and you can join the club ;)

ouch...mine were like $7X0 shipped....and springs were like $220 (sportlines) $205 for a shop to install it all....so i have a $1200 suspension system :)

bluebaltjim 04-10-2008 05:58 AM

full stiff on the rear all the time, full stiff in the front for autox otherwise half way on the fronts. ive had them for 18000 miles and have not had any problems with them.

Fallen33 04-10-2008 06:14 AM

Add me in, I've got Koni's and Sportlines; and THAT is total sex in the twisties.

https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/fil.../6/new_012.jpg

Dunkinuts 04-10-2008 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by WHITE G5 (Post 2187256)
i got konis, but only the rear's

pics?

Fallen33 you are added i will get you the sig banner tonight when i get off work.

Originally Posted by bluebaltjim (Post 2187885)
full stiff on the rear all the time, full stiff in the front for autox otherwise half way on the fronts. ive had them for 18000 miles and have not had any problems with them.

how is the ride with them on full stiff on the rear? got pics of your konis?

joeyblaze 04-10-2008 01:20 PM

how much work goes into the cutting the front shocks apart? like would shops know how to do that..