Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Powell springs vs Pedders Experienced racers only

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Powell springs vs Pedders Experienced racers only

Sorry to word it this way but I don't know of any other way to ask.
I have autoxed and road raced for years. Driven many cars, won many events both locally and nationally. So my question is geared toward those who know exactly what they are talking about. Sorry not to be rude, but if you have not raced for years and driven different setups it is hard to give good advice.

I am looking for reviews of pedders vs powell springs from fellow racers.

I have been very happy with the pedders. Kind of harsh on the street but not bad. Back is great with the XXX and bracing. However reading what I can most everyone likes the yyz's better.

Anybody hard core racers that can state if they noticed a difference (improvement). I never make a change to any car I have unless I know for certain it will improve it.

Again I am sorry if the wording of this post was not correct. However being older and experienced at driving I am only looking to hear from experienced racers what they noticed.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Best
Spank
Old 07-03-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Powell's are only progressive springs so the harder the turn the stiffer they get. Peddlers don't do that. I know that's not a long explanation but it's basically what makes the Powell so good. I love the ride height and handling on mine driving up the coast this last week was awsome.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts
Also Pedders have been known to sag overtime where Powell's YYZs havnt (that people have reported). Powell's products are all tested and trued, another thing that makes them so great, and another reason why there are a number of revisions up to the latest model. He keeps improving on real feedback from consumers and testing. On a dead platform that says alot to me personally.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:53 PM

I know he uses hypercoil springs which are the same maker as my RX7 coil over setup and I believe hypercoil make the best springs. I am trying to get a better ride on the street which it sounds like they will provide. But for racing I want to know if they are actually faster. Something may feel faster but is slower. kinda like the hahn tune. Feels blazing fast, but on an autox course I am faster in stock tune. Now on a road race course hahn is great because there is no really slow corners to come out of. Just saying what feels fast is not always faster. This is why I am looking for actual, first hand knowledge that yes the X spring is faster than the Y spring.
Best
Spank
Old 07-03-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Wangspeed was a huge push behind Powell developing them, unfortunately Wangspeed has sold his cobalt recently and he hasn't been that active on this site for years. I'm fairly certain he stated they were much faster in part because they didn't compress completely due to the progressive rate.

Powell posted around here a comparison of spring rates and his were the only ones that were actually greater than the stock rate, even the pedders were less than stock.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:35 PM

Wangspeed and I spoke often, and I did purchase parts from him. He was my main go to guy other than Mr. Powell. Thanks for the info. Wangspeed would know.
Best
Spank
Old 07-03-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whats the latest version of powells springs? Is it the version X on crateenginedepot? Anyone have pictures of the most recent springs sit?
Old 07-03-2017, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
I think the newest version is V (5)
Old 07-03-2017, 11:32 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Powell springs are the only good spring that does double duty. Wangspeed, myself and a few others tested these extensively.

I have had v1 v2 v3 and the latest versiokns aren't to much different from the the 3s. Also have h&r springs, pedders springs, stance and bc coilovers

I have had pedders in the passed and I could get the springs to bind on tighter tracks and auto x. At the time they were the best available and did the job well in stock struts but there was still improvement to be made. The yyz springs really need to be on koni struts as the stock ones won't last. However if you're limited by rules they will do the trick for a couple seasons.

They feel faster because they are. They beat out all of the coilovers for road racing. I don't auto x much because it's just not for me. However I feel the guys that auto x heavily like these over coilovers as well.

As far as street ride goes..... comfortable for me and I have taken these to Florida from Illinois and from Illinois to tail of the dragon
Old 07-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
i had eibach sportline then pedders then yyz and yyz were the best ones i had for street and track

pair those with koni yellows and they are a awesome setup!
Old 07-07-2017, 04:48 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
I never ran the Pedders personally, but I went from Sportlines and no rear bar to YYZ V3's and (at the time) Powell's HC bar and it took over 2 seconds off my lap times (~2:10 lap time for reference).
V3 are the same as V5, the current version. There is no V4, as the manufacturer accidentally skipped V4 when making the springs for Powell
I've only had my Cobalt for 7 years but to illustrate my experience I got my first racing license in 1989 at age 27
Old 07-07-2017, 07:13 PM

Question

Originally Posted by Omiotek
Powell springs are the only good spring that does double duty. Wangspeed, myself and a few others tested these extensively.

I have had v1 v2 v3 and the latest versiokns aren't to much different from the the 3s. Also have h&r springs, pedders springs, stance and bc coilovers

I have had pedders in the passed and I could get the springs to bind on tighter tracks and auto x. At the time they were the best available and did the job well in stock struts but there was still improvement to be made. The yyz springs really need to be on koni struts as the stock ones won't last. However if you're limited by rules they will do the trick for a couple seasons.

They feel faster because they are. They beat out all of the coilovers for road racing. I don't auto x much because it's just not for me. However I feel the guys that auto x heavily like these over coilovers as well.

As far as street ride goes..... comfortable for me and I have taken these to Florida from Illinois and from Illinois to tail of the dragon
Have ordered new turbo for power. Will get new springs for power. R you running koni's straight, or does john re-valve them? Do I need both front and rear or front only?
Also what about the new motor mounts and trans mounts? Do I need those? Do they make any diff?

I think largest improvement on car was john's undercar brace, did a great job.

Want to get what I need so when I return home I can have them installed.

As sets for suspension car has pedders, end links, undercar brace, running 18x10 wheels. John is not a fan of my 10 in wheels at all, but I am. Used to run 11in in front and it was even better than with the 10 in. Wangspeed was my go to guy when I could not get a hold of john. Will be doing mostly track days in coming months so car set up will change some.

Thanks
Spank
The following users liked this post:
Viperoni (09-05-2017)