Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/)
-   -   Steering wheel shake (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/steering-wheel-shake-292218/)

Kingpin2010 01-16-2013 03:49 PM

Steering wheel shake

Have a 06 as/sc, no major problems. I have noticed the last week or so that when I get the car above 40 mph the steering wheel shakes, and the faster the more violent the shaking. Only took a quick glance without taking the tires off, any thoughts what could be the problem?

nobody2u 01-16-2013 03:50 PM

First things first, check your tire balance.

AaronJ 01-16-2013 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by nobody2u (Post 6886377)
First things first, check your tire balance.

^What this guy said. If it get's worse the faster you go, I'd bet good money on bad tire balance. Your wheel might have "thrown" a weight if they weren't on there very good, and then as you drive it vibrates and others fall off making it worse. Go to Walmart and spend $12 on a tire rotation and balance.

LS6Rally 01-16-2013 04:19 PM

^ as said, check balance. i would try to rotate the tires front to rear and see if it changes before you spend money on a balance. also check to see if the ball joints or tie rods are loose

Kingpin2010 01-17-2013 12:47 AM

I posted this right before work and at work I was thinking that I may have thrown a weight, I'm definitely going to check that tomorrow. Don't think it's a tierod or ball joint or the shake would happen the whole time.

I also just had my tires rotated about 2 weeks ago, could be maybe a rear tire threw a weight sometime ago and when I rotated the tires to the front now I'm feeling it.

If it is a weight, can I just pick one up at autozone? And if so what's the weight to look for?

t wilk 01-17-2013 12:57 AM

is there snow on the inside of your rims? Sounds silly but a lot of people dont think of it

Sox-Fan 01-17-2013 01:09 AM

wheel bearings?

LS6Rally 01-17-2013 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kingpin2010 (Post 6887490)
I posted this right before work and at work I was thinking that I may have thrown a weight, I'm definitely going to check that tomorrow. Don't think it's a tierod or ball joint or the shake would happen the whole time.

I also just had my tires rotated about 2 weeks ago, could be maybe a rear tire threw a weight sometime ago and when I rotated the tires to the front now I'm feeling it.

If it is a weight, can I just pick one up at autozone? And if so what's the weight to look for?

no you can't. you need to use a balancer to make sure the correct weight goes in the correct location. its worth the $10 to have it done.

AaronJ 01-17-2013 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan (Post 6887518)
wheel bearings?

Hmm, I'm not sure a wheel bearing would cause a shake like that unless it's literally falling apart :lol:. All the wheel bearings I've had go out on me just make some sort of noise, usually a hum of some sort.

damastah 01-17-2013 11:56 AM

since balancing wheels was said. does it stop shaking past 40mph? if so you have unbalanced wheels..

and these are all FWD cars. it could be a problem with the drivetrain

noorj 01-17-2013 12:26 PM

It definetely could be a wheel out of balance. I wouldn't go to Walmart though, I tossed the weights they put on after 1 autox and about 500 miles. Could also be a very slight miss alignment on one side. Wouldn't be a wheel bearing, that causes play in the vertical direction not lateral.

Kingpin2010 01-18-2013 03:00 AM

Went and checked the front wheels and low and behold I threw half the weights on the left front wheel. Glad it's just that, easy and cheap fix.

Ill be heading to the dealership my brother works at to get the wheels balanced. Trust them a whole lot more than wal-mart

prevsrt4owner 01-18-2013 12:32 PM

X1,000,000 on [not going to] Wal-Mart.

LS6Rally 01-18-2013 03:45 PM

^ this, i wouldnt buy TP there

Kingpin2010 03-14-2013 03:55 PM

Hate to revive old thread but its needed.

Anyway I ended up getting a tire balance, and the shaking seemed to have stopped, but as the weeks have gone on its came back. Once I get to around 40 the steering wheel shakes. The wheel is also now pulling to the left. We think I may have a crack in my wheel, haven't had time to check yet. Thoughts?

AaronJ 03-14-2013 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kingpin2010 (Post 6964812)
Hate to revive old thread but its needed.

Anyway I ended up getting a tire balance, and the shaking seemed to have stopped, but as the weeks have gone on its came back. Once I get to around 40 the steering wheel shakes. The wheel is also now pulling to the left. We think I may have a crack in my wheel, haven't had time to check yet. Thoughts?

Not a cracked wheel, I'm assuming you'd be slowly losing air if this were the case, but I bet you have a bent wheel. If it's bent and becoming unbalanced again, the wheel is probably throwing off its weights.

Kingpin2010 03-14-2013 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by AaronJ (Post 6964867)
Not a cracked wheel, I'm assuming you'd be slowly losing air if this were the case, but I bet you have a bent wheel. If it's bent and becoming unbalanced again, the wheel is probably throwing off its weights.

Well we think it could be cracked top because I have been dealing with a slow leak too. Just seeing if its not something else before I decide to buy a new wheel.

Whitnith 03-14-2013 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kingpin2010 (Post 6964883)
Well we think it could be cracked top because I have been dealing with a slow leak too. Just seeing if its not something else before I decide to buy a new wheel.

You are going to take the tire off and check it out before buying a new one, right?

Kingpin2010 03-15-2013 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Whitnith (Post 6964891)
You are going to take the tire off and check it out before buying a new one, right?

Oh yea. I'm actually going to put it on the other side and that'll tell if its the wheel.