Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/)
-   -   suspension upgrade time (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/suspension-upgrade-time-212485/)

andrew97 04-22-2010 09:39 PM

suspension upgrade time

I have the SS/SC and I have a pretty good idea of what i want to do, but i was trying to find out what the rear twist beam is, and where it can be bought at if it is worth it.

Boosted_Cobalt09 04-22-2010 10:16 PM

the rear twisting beam is your entire "rear axle." you dont need to modify it unless you wanna spend some serious cash and have john powell make you the time attack version. heres a good combination of parts for you.....

fe5 lnf struts with pedders springs or stance coilovers
fe5 front sway bar with powdergrid endlinks
ottp/powell stage 2 rotated mounts
ottp/powell rack spacers
ottp/powell rear hardcore sway bar(for more racing) or street sway bar(for more of a street car)

andrew97 04-22-2010 10:21 PM

ok yeah im not looking to spend that much lol...and thats pretty much the route i wanted to go but i have a set of coilovers on order. how hard are thoes rack spacers to install?

Boosted_Cobalt09 04-23-2010 02:22 AM

not hard at all. its a matter of breaking a couple bolts lose and undoing them, then positioning the spacers under the rack and then bolting everything together again.

andrew97 04-23-2010 10:06 AM

Doesn't sound to bad...if I have the ottp hardcore bar do i want to make the front sway bar harder or softer with the powergrid endlinks?

Boosted_Cobalt09 04-23-2010 07:11 PM

swap out to the fe5 lnf front bar for sure. its a good combo

ls1fbody 04-23-2010 07:17 PM

If you already have an FE5 front bar, no need to bother switching to the LNF one. Nobody but the most avid race driver will feel the difference.

Otherwise, what Boosted said is perfect. Save you money on the front bar.

andrew97 04-23-2010 07:49 PM

ok yeah i think im going to go that route most people i talk to seem tho thinks thats the best. But if i got the powergrid links should i make them so the front is stiffer or softer i want it to be a decent dialy driver but good on the track i can deal with sacrificing some comfort for performance

Superman_Davin 04-23-2010 08:11 PM

What about the steering knuckles?

andrew97 04-23-2010 08:15 PM

yeah im going to order the gm upgraded knuckles also i forgot to add that in

ls1fbody 04-23-2010 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by andrew97 (Post 4871698)
ok yeah i think im going to go that route most people i talk to seem tho thinks thats the best. But if i got the powergrid links should i make them so the front is stiffer or softer i want it to be a decent dialy driver but good on the track i can deal with sacrificing some comfort for performance

Endlinks don't effect stiffness, just wether there is a pre-load on one side or the other.

GMPD knuckles are a good idea, but i would hold off until you actually break one, which is unlikely.

andrew97 04-23-2010 08:38 PM

Haha yeah I'll wait till I crack one...sorry for the questions but for the track how would I wanna set up the end links I really don't know much about em lol