Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/)
-   -   Suspenson basics 101. (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/suspenson-basics-101-a-34641/)

Blue_Balt 08-14-2008 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by scampbell (Post 2735016)
I keep readin about this FE5 what is it and where does it come from?

FE5 are the suspension parts that are on the SS/SC and TC. FE3 are on the 2.4L and FE1 are on the 2.2L. The FE5 are the best out of the three and can be put on the other two models. They should be able to take more strain than the FE1 parts. You already have the FE5 components on your car.

Koni's are the best for lowered Balts.

CobaltSSilver 09-17-2008 10:37 AM

I get it that the stockers will die...but the FE5's I 've heard of folks putting quite a few miles on with say Eibach sportlines and not killing the struts and shocks.....anybody have testimony that kills this?

How are the Cobalt-Addiction Springs? Anybody install and run these just yet?

CobaltSSilver 09-23-2008 08:16 AM

Just a bump on this....also with the Cobalt-Addiction Springs is a camber kit necessary for an SS/SC?

ls1fbody 09-23-2008 08:24 AM

camber kit isn't really necessary for the SS/SC's. regardless.

CobaltSSilver 09-23-2008 11:35 AM

Cool...thanks.....so do I need to worry about my shocks and struts on an ss/sc with the lowering kit?

ViLerocker 10-17-2008 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by blackjack hotrods (Post 2153183)
In all fairness, I grew up in NH and I know the roads up there ane FAR from smooth. I would never think of lowering something there. Most cars with stock suspension wear out fast there due to the salt used in the winter and huge dips, bumps, potholes and such that are on all the roads. I moved back there in 2004 and for the 3 years I was there, everywhere I drove the roads were like washboards. I would dare to say they are some of the worst roads in the country.

come to Illinois! We pay ridiculous taxes, have tons of toll booths, and our roads make the roads in Wisconsin look like driving on glass!

cobaltaddict05 11-21-2008 09:56 PM

springs

can i put ls or lt lowering springs on my ss im looking for springs with the most drop without rubing in the front

Maven 11-21-2008 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltaddict05 (Post 3124820)
can i put ls or lt lowering springs on my ss im looking for springs with the most drop without rubing in the front

All Cobalt take the same springs. If you put "LS" drop springs in your SS you wont get the same drop listed for the LS, thats because your car is already lower.

Halfcent 11-24-2008 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltaddict05 (Post 3124820)

To answer your question simply, yes, you can.

What Maven is saying is that the aftermarket doesn't make different springs for LS's versus SS's. Eibach Sportlines are quite low and have been proven to work well.

CobaltSSilver 11-24-2008 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSSilver (Post 2915857)
Cool...thanks.....so do I need to worry about my shocks and struts on an ss/sc with the lowering kit?

Just checking to see how long stuts and shocks are lasting with the Eibach lowering springs on an SS/SC. I've heard of folks not having issues while others say you need to upgrade. Thoughts......

cobaltaddict05 11-25-2008 02:20 PM

thanks

Halfcent 11-26-2008 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSSilver (Post 3132541)
Just checking to see how long stuts and shocks are lasting with the Eibach lowering springs on an SS/SC. I've heard of folks not having issues while others say you need to upgrade. Thoughts......

They will last a good long time. I'm at nearly 40K miles on my original FE1 struts and shocks, but they will be due in spring.

Whining-devil 11-26-2008 10:54 PM

tag this

killah18 03-29-2009 10:23 PM

Okay so coilovers would be the best investment?

Halfcent 03-30-2009 11:10 AM

How do you plan to drive the car? Coilovers are for racing cars where adjustability is desired. If it's a street car, just stick with springs. Coilovers are very expensive for a car that just drives on the street and will never adjust anything.

CobaltSSilver 03-30-2009 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent (Post 3141012)
They will last a good long time. I'm at nearly 40K miles on my original FE1 struts and shocks, but they will be due in spring.

That is good to know. Hopefully with the SS/SC suspension they will hold up for twice that if not more.

Hunter2Hitman 05-11-2009 08:44 AM

Hey, Why are Konis so expensive?! They are struts correct?
also, if i get some koni's i should also get some lowering springs?

bump... did some more research. So Koni sport struts and some springs are lookin like the way too go.. for less than a set of coilovers, and giving better day to day drivability and easy adjustment :)
i think i know what ill be ordering very shortly....

CobaltSSilver 05-11-2009 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hunter2Hitman (Post 3853119)
Hey, Why are Konis so expensive?! They are struts correct?
also, if i get some koni's i should also get some lowering springs?

bump... did some more research. So Koni sport struts and some springs are lookin like the way too go.. for less than a set of coilovers, and giving better day to day drivability and easy adjustment :)
i think i know what ill be ordering very shortly....

Which car do you have? FE5 suspension?

CobaltSSilver 05-12-2009 07:45 AM

Will the front sway bar links break with just lowering springs on an SS/SC? I see bwoody has a set that are bigger and stronger but I don't know why I would need bigger front sway bar links.

Halfcent 05-12-2009 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSSilver (Post 3857674)
Will the front sway bar links break with just lowering springs on an SS/SC?

No.

I'm actually kind of curious why you would even think that. Since both sides are dropped evenly, there is no load on the links.

CobaltSSilver 05-12-2009 06:37 PM

Just in my mind it is lowered and stressing all of the suspension I would think, also for harder cornering I thought it would have a bigger stress on them.....so why are there bigger/thicker sway bar end links out there? I.E what is the benefit of the mod? Add them when you are pushing more power?

Halfcent thanks so much for answering all my questions too man! :-)

Halfcent 05-14-2009 08:12 AM

You have a misconception. Lowering springs do not cause any additional stress to the car. They can wear out your dampers a little faster, but that's it.

Heavier sway bar parts are designed to reduce the amount of body roll in cornering. Bigger bars means less sway. They also mean a less comfortable ride when not cornering. Its a balance between comfort and performance.

Maven 05-14-2009 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent (Post 3866783)
. Bigger bars means less sway. They also mean a less comfortable ride when not cornering. Its a balance between comfort and performance.

You have a misconception, a bigger sway bar doesnt affect wheel rate/ride quality when you arent turning or are on smooth pavement. ;)

Very uneven pavement can "activate" the bar, but driving straight doesnt.

Bigger front endlinks are stiffer, they flex less, less flex means the antiroll system works better.

CobaltSSilver 05-14-2009 01:43 PM

Got it.....thanks!

68nova200 05-14-2009 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Maven (Post 3867169)
You have a misconception, a bigger sway bar doesnt affect wheel rate/ride quality when you arent turning or are on smooth pavement. ;)

Very uneven pavement can "activate" the bar, but driving straight doesnt.

Bigger front endlinks are stiffer, they flex less, less flex means the antiroll system works better.

speaking of endlinks. can i run fe1 endlinks with fe5 suspension. just wondering because i am supposed to install my suspension friday.