Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Bad ZZP PCM, ZZP refusing to refund or fix

Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting lots of service and help now
Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flow
Unless I find someone for free sounds like I'm paying to solve your (ZZPs) problem.

I think you left out an email when trying to prove I had issues before the tune...
What is the status of all of this? Did anything get resolved?

I will say that i was having issues similar to yours except I was getting a P0300 (which was hell to track down) and also i was getting P0171 (too lean). Mind you i have an LE5, but its now S/Ced and i did the tune with ZZP.... So, i hopped on here and asked people what could be the issue. I got every answer under the sun and after i went through all of that, peeps said it was likely the tune. Now, i called ZZP and left a message prior to all of this, i cant remember who called me back but they called me back like after a day. Getting to the point here, it turns out that AFTER EEEEEVVVEERRRYYY single thing i tried (you name it, and believe me i did it probably at least a handful of times) it turns out with a bit of intuition i had a feeling it was the valves leaking. Specifically the valve seats. ZZP told me the same thing they told you "Its the car not the tune.." etc etc.. Turns out, it was the car! Something so small and yet a massive headache along with heartache. I stand by ZZP, they have not done me wrong. Even when i think its them.

Just my 2cents is all.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:37 PM

Well I just picked my car up from the shop after being there all day. They tested fuel pressure, boost leak test, vacuum leaks, compression, and did a case learn.

They basically told me what I already knew and that was that it's running really rich in top end. They pointed at the tune.

At this point I really don't know. It was shooting fireballs all night last night. It's rich as ****. Haha.

I did move to a step hotter plug (back to factory heat range) and that seemed to help a little bit but it's still breaking up and blowing fire.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:46 PM

Before ZZP tune, smooth pull

https://youtu.be/-AvQA7JyEj8

After ZZP tune

https://youtu.be/QJ2kNAS1NJ8

Not so sure. Just going to keep trying!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts
LOL that sounds like your clutch slipping....
Old 02-20-2017, 04:13 PM

Well I just picked my car up from the shop after being there all day. They tested fuel pressure, boost leak test, vacuum leaks, compression, and did a case learn.

They basically told me what I already knew and that was that it's running really rich in top end. They pointed at the tune.

At this point I really don't know. It was shooting fireballs all night last night. It's rich as ****. Haha.

I did move to a step hotter plug (back to factory heat range) and that seemed to help a little bit but it's still breaking up and blowing fire.
If your so set on it being the tune datalog it and prove it, or go back to what ever tune you were running before. Sitting here talking about it is not doing anything for you. Most of us here will all agree that the ZZP tune is ok. It's still considered a canned tune, since you are not datalogging and dyno or street tuning. They are basically using files from the years research they have done to get your car a good working tune.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Find someone with HPTuners to do a datalog, surely there is someone near by that can one. They don't cost credits so anyone with HPTuners can do one. You can even buy cheap OBDII data logging devices from amazon and use that to data log.

I don't know if ZZP lock their tunes, but if not, and you find someone with HPTuners, then get screen shots of the injector scaling tables, PE fuel tables, and any other fuel tables (don't remember all the LSJ fuel tables off the top of my head). If there is something wrong with the tune then a datalog and the fueling tables should make it easier to pick out.

If you log, make sure you log everything possible. VE, MAF, Fuel pressure, commanded PE, and injector pulse width are probably most important but the more you can log the easier to find an issue.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Put out a feeler on facebook to see if someone will let you use their HPT to datalog. You really need to do that. ZZP asked for it as well. You said that they were helping a lot, what happened with that?
Old 02-20-2017, 07:02 PM

I doubt my clutch is slipping if it's blowing second gear out of the water on a decent tire.

Secondly, I would go back to my old PCM, but damn wouldn't it make sense that I didn't have it if it was a core?

Third, if I could go back to the old PCM via a flash would I be having these issues or even boughten a tune from ZZP, no. I could write the tune file myself.

Still have not explained why my car revs 7500 when it "should only rev 7200". And only revs too high on this PCM. Let alone the bank 1 too rich.

Sum up for those not not paying attention:
car ran fine before just had a engine light for the ZZP header.

Buys zzp tune, cars running rich, popping, shooting flames, revving too high.

Ways ive tried to resolve with ZZP:
full refund and return my original PCM

offer a new pcm with a new tune using a ZZP intake, and I buy the ZZP intake, to help with MAF calibration.

Yes. Steve from ZZP and I have been working on this together. He's been great. I would be rest-assured something is solved soon!
Old 02-20-2017, 07:36 PM

I doubt my clutch is slipping if it's blowing second gear out of the water on a decent tire.

Secondly, I would go back to my old PCM, but damn wouldn't it make sense that I didn't have it if it was a core?

Third, if I could go back to the old PCM via a flash would I be having these issues or even boughten a tune from ZZP, no. I could write the tune file myself.

Still have not explained why my car revs 7500 when it "should only rev 7200". And only revs too high on this PCM. Let alone the bank 1 too rich.

Sum up for those not not paying attention:
car ran fine before just had a engine light for the ZZP header.

Buys zzp tune, cars running rich, popping, shooting flames, revving too high.

Ways ive tried to resolve with ZZP:
full refund and return my original PCM

offer a new pcm with a new tune using a ZZP intake, and I buy the ZZP intake, to help with MAF calibration.

Yes. Steve from ZZP and I have been working on this together. He's been great. I would be rest-assured something is solved soon!
I don't know if this may help or not.... but every little bit helps until a conclusion arises....

I have heard of people taking a piece of wire and grounding the ECM. Apparently some crazy things happen because for some reason internally it's shorting out to the outside. Like I said just a thought. I did it to mine to be safe...
Old 02-20-2017, 08:19 PM

I'm definetly going to keep trying on my side. Im not sure what it could be, but I'm determined.

If i drive it real easy for a few key turns the engine light will go off until I get on it again. So I wouldn't say that it "too" rich under 3k rpms.

I'm going to keep playing.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:48 PM

So got together with a guy who has an HPTUNER and tweaked the tune a little bit mostly with the MAF chart and peak rpm. Everything seems to be working good, haven't had a light through a few miles of driving. Will just have to see. Car is running really strong.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:17 PM

So got together with a guy who has an HPTUNER and tweaked the tune a little bit mostly with the MAF chart and peak rpm. Everything seems to be working good, haven't had a light through a few miles of driving. Will just have to see. Car is running really strong.
Nice. >fingers crossed< Put some miles on it and report back. Gotta hear how it turns out.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:36 PM

Day two or so far, of no light, no misfires, no flames! Running really good now. Pulling harder too.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 PM

Day two or so far, of no light, no misfires, no flames! Running really good now. Pulling harder too.
Good stuff man. Glad it worked out for ya man.

So your buddy just tuned a bit with the MAF? Did you guys have to do a few pulls to get it all straight or did he just go right in to your tables and change some numbers??

Did you let ZZP know what went down?? Sucks you spent all day with them and they couldn't figure anything out for ya and then your bud hooks up and all is well.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:42 PM

Basically I was watching the MAF readings and they seemed a little high at idle. It was reading like .750lbs/min or something like that. So I swapped MAFs with my buddies stock SS and it was reading nearly the same, so we took a look at the tables and adjusted them a little bit. Got the reading at idle much closer to stock and the fuel trims reduced by over 15%. The light did come on today after filling up but was only on for a few miles and is back off. I didn't even get a chance to pull the code. I would have to say now that I'm very happy with the tune now. The car does exactly what it needs and should do. I feel confident in being able to move on to other things with the car such as a quieter exhaust!
Old 02-26-2017, 03:33 AM

Basically I was watching the MAF readings and they seemed a little high at idle. It was reading like .750lbs/min or something like that. So I swapped MAFs with my buddies stock SS and it was reading nearly the same, so we took a look at the tables and adjusted them a little bit. Got the reading at idle much closer to stock and the fuel trims reduced by over 15%. The light did come on today after filling up but was only on for a few miles and is back off. I didn't even get a chance to pull the code. I would have to say now that I'm very happy with the tune now. The car does exactly what it needs and should do. I feel confident in being able to move on to other things with the car such as a quieter exhaust!
Lol, you changed your fuel trims at idle and it helped your WOT trims.... it doesn't work like that at all.

Last edited by blu3_v1p3r; 02-26-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:18 AM

You must have ZZPs dick so far down your throat that you can see or think straight.

I noticed at idle they were off, and made adjustments to the whole curve.

You see, the car was running rich, and -20.7 stft and ltft would tell me that it was far off.

You must work for ZZP being such a hard rider and believing that they are perfect.

Have we forgot that my rev limiter in gear was set too high too? Lol

I still want my refund, I had to make adjustments to their tune to fix their silly mistakes.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:23 AM

That moment you realize other people have your issues (not the only one I can keep post screenshots for ZZP since this thread I'm sure will attract new customers) and ZZP treats them the same way.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:31 AM

If we figure in o2 sensor, terrible tune, spark plugs and numerous tests I'm out over 70$ in parts, 109$ in the tune, and 10$ in shipping, plus two weeks of my time trying to figure out what is wrong with my car instead of fixing the tune like the actual problem was. Remember in their emails, they're perfect, they cannot be wrong. It's impossible for ZZP to make a mistake *rollseyes*.

They even had me run a fuel pressure gauge with an extended line through my hood and into my window hahaha.

Company is a joke and needs to stop trying to tune cars if their going to act like they perfect and can do no wrong when all you can do is find complaint after complaint on them.

Dont ever expect a refund from a shitty tune, their resident tuner is the one who decides if you get a refund or not, and of course he's perfect inside his head, can do no wrong, Cobalt tuning god.

I even requested a refund with them sendinf sending me back my original PCM and I'd send them back theirs, but that was not good enough for the tuning god.

Either way, I and many others will be avoiding ZZP. I'd hate to get something with a shitty weld and get blamed for the weld.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
This has to be the most bipolar thread I've ever seen. It's hard for me to side with you when you never even sent them a datalog.
The following users liked this post:
stone4779 (05-13-2021)
Old 02-26-2017, 06:14 PM

You must have ZZPs dick so far down your throat that you can see or think straight.

I noticed at idle they were off, and made adjustments to the whole curve.

You see, the car was running rich, and -20.7 stft and ltft would tell me that it was far off.

You must work for ZZP being such a hard rider and believing that they are perfect.

Have we forgot that my rev limiter in gear was set too high too? Lol

I still want my refund, I had to make adjustments to their tune to fix their silly mistakes.
LMAO I have one ZZP part on my car, and its not performance related. Its a gauge pod. So the only one that any dick from ZZP was you. Don't get mad at me or anyone else because you bought a ZZP tune and and though the canned tune would be 100% perfect for your car.

From what you told us your fuel trims were fine all the time, except at high RPMS.... You story here keeps changing.... Either way glad you figured out your issue. The only thing I don't understand is why would you order a ZZP tune if your buddy has HPT wouldn't it have just made more sense to have him tune from the start?
Old 02-26-2017, 06:20 PM

If we figure in o2 sensor, terrible tune, spark plugs and numerous tests I'm out over 70$ in parts, 109$ in the tune, and 10$ in shipping, plus two weeks of my time trying to figure out what is wrong with my car instead of fixing the tune like the actual problem was. Remember in their emails, they're perfect, they cannot be wrong. It's impossible for ZZP to make a mistake *rollseyes*.

They even had me run a fuel pressure gauge with an extended line through my hood and into my window hahaha.

Company is a joke and needs to stop trying to tune cars if their going to act like they perfect and can do no wrong when all you can do is find complaint after complaint on them.

Dont ever expect a refund from a shitty tune, their resident tuner is the one who decides if you get a refund or not, and of course he's perfect inside his head, can do no wrong, Cobalt tuning god.

I even requested a refund with them sendinf sending me back my original PCM and I'd send them back theirs, but that was not good enough for the tuning god.

Either way, I and many others will be avoiding ZZP. I'd hate to get something with a shitty weld and get blamed for the weld.
They asked you for a datalog.... if you would have logged and sent it to them they may have been able to look at and see if they screwed something up. Honestly mistakes happen, but with no hard data you, there is nothing they can do. They have a pretty strict policy for the PMC's and tuning, they were sticking to their policy. Sucks it didn't work out for you, next time you need something get an actual tuner in person again. Save time and money that way.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by exninja
This has to be the most bipolar thread I've ever seen. It's hard for me to side with you when you never even sent them a datalog.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm surprised that zoomer and Josh at ott are even still dealing with this kind of scrap. I'd be tired of it by now if I were either of them. There's a reason some people shouldn't be modifying cars. "3 rotors shiney, one not shiney" come to mind? Lol

Search this Thread