Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Beware of James Rakes Tunes...

Old 06-08-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Terminator2
Say what you will but I do some of my best work remotely. None of my tunes are "mail order" though because to me that term implies a canned tune sent out to everyone not a full custom tune. I can see everything I need to and I can also tell when there is an issue like a hiccup (minor misfire) or a boost leak. I can even spot a MAF issues such as turbulence in the logs and suggest ways to fix the issue. When someones car is having issues in person they have to be fixed before tuning and as such it ends up being a lot of wasted time seeing as they have to come back when the issues is fixed (I do not "work" on other peoples car), but remotely they can fix the issue and then we can resume tuning easily. As far as tuning goes those who do a dyno tune only are the ones really missing out because not only do 99% of the dynos out there no replicate real world loads but since you are only at wide open throttle that is the only area that gets tuned.
Originally Posted by Omiotek
we do remote tunes as well and just like term we make them right. we never send a customer away with a junk tune.
Well my first experience with a mail tune left me with a popped motor and although it was my fault the stigma is still there. I can see that there are few of you that take the time.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Remote tuning an LSJ and remote tuning an LNF are 2 different worlds. I can easily see a remote tuned LSJ being a potential disaster without the owner of the car having hpt pro in order to pipe in a wideband signal, or at the very least they know how to tap into the a/c pressure switch signal. Either way, the LNF is quite a bit easier from a remote tuning stand point and can be dialed in basically just as well. There are of course inherent advantages to tuning in person or even dyno tuning, but in the big picture it's a pretty level playing field.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
me personally. i do not remote tune. i can sense a lot more things driving the car than looking at past information. thats just me.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Area47
me personally. i do not remote tune. i can sense a lot more things driving the car than looking at past information. thats just me.
Agreed. To much risk/liabilty for me to want to deal with. Customers don't always know what to look/listen for. They are too concentrated on going fast and the end result. There is more to it that that.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by imphat0260
Agreed. To much risk/liabilty for me to want to deal with. Customers don't always know what to look/listen for. They are too concentrated on going fast and the end result. There is more to it that that.
are you still on a steel block ln2? 2200?

I had a 2001 cavalier brand new in Dec 2000- March 2003. I always wanted a Jeep so I got rid of it and spent the last 10 years building 4x4's (solid axle swaps, lockers, etc). Wish I hadnt. That car would be so bad if I had spent the effort on it and 13 years had past. It would be so affordable to work on. The LN2 wasnt being worked on except with mantapart, I think it was called. Anyway its overhead valve/pushrod setup really limited it but I think years ago there was a guy that built his even before tuning was viable. Had put down 3-400 or something like that. With basically a boost reference and that was all I could remember.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by c130aviator
are you still on a steel block ln2? 2200?

I had a 2001 cavalier brand new in Dec 2000- March 2003. I always wanted a Jeep so I got rid of it and spent the last 10 years building 4x4's (solid axle swaps, lockers, etc). Wish I hadnt. That car would be so bad if I had spent the effort on it and 13 years had past. It would be so affordable to work on. The LN2 wasnt being worked on except with mantapart, I think it was called. Anyway its overhead valve/pushrod setup really limited it but I think years ago there was a guy that built his even before tuning was viable. Had put down 3-400 or something like that. With basically a boost reference and that was all I could remember.
The block has a the same block as it came from the factory with. Here is a list of mods...
• LN2 Block bored .030 over
• Wiseco Pistons(w/ Total Seal Rings)
• Eagle Rods
• Comp Cam (regrind to custom specs)
• Ported/Polished Head
• Crane Gold Narrow Body 1.6 Rockers
• Comp Pushrods
• Comp 26918 Valve Springs
• Ferrea 1mm Oversized SS Valves
• Modified valving on stock bodied lifters
• Cometic Head Gasket
• ARP Main/Head/Rocker Studs
• Clevite Main/Rod Bearings
• High Volume Oil Pump
• Accell 8mm wires
• 62mm TB
• Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
• Spec Flywheel
• B&M Short Shifter
• Griffin Radiator
• Garret GT3076R Turbo
• TurboSmart Wastegate
• Spearco FMIC
• TurboSmart Vee Port(sleeper series)BOV
• Greddy Profec B Boost Controller
• AEM Wideband
• Autometer EGT/Boost/Oil PSI Gauges
• Racetronix 850cc Injectors
• Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
• MSD Booster Pump
• Aeromotive FPR
• Magnaflow Muffler
•Manifold and 3" Exhaust all TIG welded 304 Stainless(made by Matt @ Hi Tuned Performance)
•GM LD9 SC Reflash(modified for LN2)
•Tuned by P&P Tuning(owner/operator)
Old 06-08-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The block has a the same block as it came from the factory with. Here is a list of mods...
• LN2 Block bored .030 over
• Wiseco Pistons(w/ Total Seal Rings)
• Eagle Rods
• Comp Cam (regrind to custom specs)
• Ported/Polished Head
• Crane Gold Narrow Body 1.6 Rockers
• Comp Pushrods
• Comp 26918 Valve Springs
• Ferrea 1mm Oversized SS Valves
• Modified valving on stock bodied lifters
• Cometic Head Gasket
• ARP Main/Head/Rocker Studs
• Clevite Main/Rod Bearings
• High Volume Oil Pump
• Accell 8mm wires
• 62mm TB
• Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
• Spec Flywheel
• B&M Short Shifter
• Griffin Radiator
• Garret GT3076R Turbo
• TurboSmart Wastegate
• Spearco FMIC
• TurboSmart Vee Port(sleeper series)BOV
• Greddy Profec B Boost Controller
• AEM Wideband
• Autometer EGT/Boost/Oil PSI Gauges
• Racetronix 850cc Injectors
• Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
• MSD Booster Pump
• Aeromotive FPR
• Magnaflow Muffler
•Manifold and 3" Exhaust all TIG welded 304 Stainless(made by Matt @ Hi Tuned Performance)
•GM LD9 SC Reflash(modified for LN2)
•Tuned by P&P Tuning(owner/operator)
Old 06-08-2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
Remote tuning an LSJ and remote tuning an LNF are 2 different worlds.
Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
I can easily see a remote tuned LSJ being a potential disaster without the owner of the car having hpt pro in order to pipe in a wideband signal, or at the very least they know how to tap into the a/c pressure switch signal. Either way, the LNF is quite a bit easier from a remote tuning stand point and can be dialed in basically just as well. There are of course inherent advantages to tuning in person or even dyno tuning, but in the big picture it's a pretty level playing field.
This right here. What I like the most about remote tuning is that in the end I get to spend more time analyzing the data and the car gets more relearn time between tune revisions (MAF data is much better) and because of this the car ends up with just as if not a better tune that if I had sat in the car tuning it. I can usually spot even the smallest issues in the logs whether I am in the car or not but I agree remote tuning a LSJ can be a real headache and potential disaster especially if the wideband is not reading correctly in the logs.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:54 PM

making a steel block over head valve motor (center of the block cam) awesome.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just thought I would jump in here too and state a little of my opinion, though much of it has been said already.

Every car is a little different so no two tunes are going to be identical, if tuned correctly. Also, there are different ways to tune a car. If someone wants to pull out maximum power and throw caution to the wind as far as safety goes then that is their risk. Any time you tune it is always a risk because you are going outside what the manufacturer has done to the car and you don't always know how that car will react. Though, a properly educated tuner is one who knows what limits can be pushed and what the risks to making those adjustments are going to be. Every tuner is going to have his own idea when it comes to adjustments vs. risk, but I bet that if the educated tuners all had to fill out a chart with thier idea of what is low and high risk I would bet that those charts would look pretty similar.

Also, you could be the best tuner in the world as far as MPFI goes, but that does not make you even remotely qualified to think you can tune a DI ECU. Just because someone has tuned "tons" of cars does not make them an expert, nor does having a bunch of certifications, however with certifications it should mean that the person should have some idea of what they are talking about (this is not a bash on you Ryan, just stating a generalized fact). All tuners may not agree with this but I believe that tuning is more of balance between knowledge and art than it is with being simply based on the "experience" of the tuner.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
Also, you could be the best tuner in the world as far as MPFI goes, but that does not make you even remotely qualified to think you can tune a DI ECU. Just because someone has tuned "tons" of cars does not make them an expert, nor does having a bunch of certifications, however with certifications it should mean that the person should have some idea of what they are talking about (this is not a bash on you Ryan, just stating a generalized fact). All tuners may not agree with this but I believe that tuning is more of balance between knowledge and art than it is with being simply based on the "experience" of the tuner.
Well put! I also don't take that as a bash at all. My point with mentioning the certifications was to make a point that I have invested the time and money into educating myself, rather than just buying a computer program off the internet and calling myself a "tuner"... There seems to be too much of that these days.

BTW, How you been Jason? Been a while....
Old 06-08-2013, 05:52 PM
AWD > FWD

Originally Posted by kdub1492
How far are you from AMS?
quite a long ways away. I think it would be about 7 hours(which really isn't THAT bad for a really good tune imo). However, Buschur Racing is only about an hour and a half away, and there's another good tuning shop called TPG tuning about an hour away, which is probably where I'll be taking my car.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:54 PM
AWD > FWD

Originally Posted by Omnigear
didnt even know AMS still do Evo's i though they went to the big boy league
They still do the waiting list is just a bit longer than it used to be lol
Old 06-08-2013, 05:57 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
They do whatever you have money for but only care about you if your spending 30k in their shop. Great products though
Old 06-08-2013, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TommyP

quite a long ways away. I think it would be about 7 hours(which really isn't THAT bad for a really good tune imo). However, Buschur Racing is only about an hour and a half away, and there's another good tuning shop called TPG tuning about an hour away, which is probably where I'll be taking my car.
Tpg is a wonderful place! I'm only 30-45 minutes from there.

Sent from my iPhone using CobaltSS
Old 06-08-2013, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
Just thought I would jump in here too and state a little of my opinion, though much of it has been said already.

Every car is a little different so no two tunes are going to be identical, if tuned correctly. Also, there are different ways to tune a car. If someone wants to pull out maximum power and throw caution to the wind as far as safety goes then that is their risk. Any time you tune it is always a risk because you are going outside what the manufacturer has done to the car and you don't always know how that car will react. Though, a properly educated tuner is one who knows what limits can be pushed and what the risks to making those adjustments are going to be. Every tuner is going to have his own idea when it comes to adjustments vs. risk, but I bet that if the educated tuners all had to fill out a chart with thier idea of what is low and high risk I would bet that those charts would look pretty similar.

Experience helps a lot though having tuned hundred of GDI cars vs tuning just your own car does make a huge difference.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:18 PM
village idiot

So... there's a shop near me that specializes in aligning slammed cars. Everyone says they're the best and most of their business is "word of mouth." I put springs on my STI and take it for an alignment. When I pick it up, they say that the ABS light came on and I should have that checked. I said that it wasn't on before. They said to take it to the dealer. So I did. Turns out that the ABS sensor cable was cut. The dealer charges $50.00 diagnosis fee that they will deduct from the repair. I call the tire shop. They say I should've had them look at it and fix it. I said that I was told to take it to the dealership and having them fix it wasn't an option. Then the shop said I asked the wrong person then...... The story doesn't end there but basically it ends with me paying someone else to fix it and it costing a ton of money.

The reason for this story is that every time I told anyone local that they shouldn't go to this place, they told me I was full of **** and that this place is the best alignment shop. Basically everyone swings on this shop's nuts and that if I had a problem it must have somehow been my fault. I actually ran into a few other people who had horrible experiences with this same shop. They told me the same thing. When they told others not to use the shop, they were told they were full of **** too. It's just a weird phenomenon with some businesses/people.

Someone asked for examples of engines James has blown. The only one I remember is this one...

(It's locked)

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...wisely-287767/

James told the guy that the engine would likely blow but since the guy wanted an aggressive tune, James took the money and did as the customer asked. Then the engine blew.

This is my opinion:

James comes off as a vindictive and generally unkind person. If you question or cross him, he will unleash a fury of personal insults wrapped in 3rd grade grammar. Some of the biggest James supporters seem to share at least some of these characteristics (take a look at Vanderneers' posts and you'll see mostly name calling and negativity).

It wouldn't surprise me if James blew the engine on this HHR SS on purpose because he basically told the guy the engine would blow. If the engine didn't blow, then James would have been wrong (and we all know that can't happen). James took the guy's money and provided a tune that he knew would be catastrophic just to prove a point.

Sure James is a nice guy when you're giving him money and recommending him to others so they can give him money..... but if you're not one of these people you get to see the real James.

Last edited by casionerd; 06-08-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
BTW, How you been Jason? Been a while....
Been good. My job has been keeping me busy. I poke around from time to time to see if the STL Cobalt guys have anything planned, but nobody does much of anything these days it seems.

Originally Posted by Terminator2
Experience helps a lot though having tuned hundred of GDI cars vs tuning just your own car does make a huge difference.
I don't want anyone to misunderstand, experience is important because it gives you a baseline of just how well you tune and it helps you get used to dealing with the differences between each car and different mods. I was just stating that just because you have experience it doesn't make you a good tuner.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by casionerd
So... there's a shop near me that specializes in aligning slammed cars. Everyone says they're the best and most of their business is "word of mouth." I put springs on my STI and take it for an alignment. When I pick it up, they say that the ABS light came on and I should have that checked. I said that it wasn't on before. They said to take it to the dealer. So I did. Turns out that the ABS sensor cable was cut. The dealer charges $50.00 diagnosis fee that they will deduct from the repair. I call the tire shop. They say I should've had them look at it and fix it. I said that I was told to take it to the dealership and having them fix it wasn't an option. Then the shop said I asked the wrong person then...... The story doesn't end there but basically it ends with me paying someone else to fix it and it costing a ton of money.

The reason for this story is that every time I told anyone local that they shouldn't go to this place, they told me I was full of **** and that this place is the best alignment shop. Basically everyone swings on this shop's nuts and that if I had a problem it must have somehow been my fault. I actually ran into a few other people who had horrible experiences with this same shop. They told me the same thing. When they told others not to use the shop, they were told they were full of **** too. It's just a weird phenomenon with some businesses/people.

Someone asked for examples of engines James has blown. The only one I remember is this one...

(It's locked)

James told the guy that the engine would likely blow but since the guy wanted an aggressive tune, James took the money and did as the customer asked. Then the engine blew.

This is my opinion:

James comes off as a vindictive and generally unkind person. If you question or cross him, he will unleash a fury of personal insults wrapped in 3rd grade grammar. Some of the biggest James supporters seem to share at least some of these characteristics (take a look at Vanderneers' posts and you'll see mostly name calling and negativity).

It wouldn't surprise me if James blew the engine on this HHR SS on purpose because he basically told the guy the engine would blow. If the engine didn't blow, then James would have been wrong (and we all know that can't happen). James took the guy's money and provided a tune that he knew would be catastrophic just to prove a point.

Sure James is a nice guy when you're giving him money and recommending him to others so they can give him money..... but if you're not one of these people you get to see the real James
I agree with this. I asked James one time how much airflow his 25G turbo setup on his car moved at high rpms (I believe I said 7200 RPMs). His reply was nasty like I was attacking him and I was clearly not. This was in the thread that got him perma banned. It seems to me like James is the most arrogant tuner and one of the most arrogant people I have ever encountered. I mean everyone has an ego but the ego has James so to speak.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Rent me! per hour

i can speak for a couple people on this forum as this, the calibration game, is not a job for myself. if you can't spend the time to do the file. you shouldn't do it.

jumping in every single "tuning" thread and saying **** and claiming you can fix something to make a quick buck off of naive people is disaster waiting to happen.

if you're good at what you do, people will come to you.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
My opinion of this guy doesnt count for much. Like the guy's tuning I suppose.
A point should be made here. Area done good, very good for me. In person. SSKev up in Canaduh, equally.

But here is the issue. If the car is not correct mechanically then how the heck can it be tuned? Of course it cant. Here are the things I see, common to all Ecos and I would say all other cars, that could make a tune impossible especially a remote tune would be suicidal
cooling not correct.
leak down not right more than 20% its done like dinner
vacuum or boost leaks
silly crapola intakeaircleaner/ tubes with incorrectly positioned maf
horrible inlet system
horrible injectors
valve train issues
ECU issues

add for DI LNF coked inlet valves
add for LS motors pushrod lengths, rocker cover venting, valley venting, and the same inlet issues as ecotecs.

etc.

as for tuners? the situation speaks for itself in this case.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stopped remote tuning LNF's two years ago. I have tuned a handful, prob less than a dozen. Gave a guy at 5k ft ele a refund since he wanted 24 psi on a stock turbo, it'd only make ~20 psi.

Term helped me figure out tuning, I respect him & his abilities. I tune my own **** and let the others go. Life is simpler this way.

I understand Area & M-dubs position completely. It just ain't worth the little $$$ for all the headaches when people want you to tune 'old busted'.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Rent me! per hour

on a side note, that broke touched on. if you're car is not 100% mechanically sound. YOU NEED MORE THAN A DAMN TUNE.

the older these cars get, the more and more you MUST keep up on routine maintance. sorry, it's not the person doing the calibration in your vehicle to fix it.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by casionerd

(It's locked)

This is my opinion:

Sure James is a nice guy when you're giving him money and recommending him to others so they can give him money..... but if you're not one of these people you get to see the real James.
there's more. 2 right off the top of my head that i know by name, along with others ive seen. i'm not stiring **** by droping names though.
there's been a steady stream of nutswingers changing their tune lately...

Old 06-08-2013, 11:04 PM

I'll be the first to admit... I got really ******* sloppy towards the end.

Cost me a motor due to my own stupidity. I did however poney up and help with the rebuild and cost.

I personally no longer tune... period. I do not have the time I had to give it. Termi will blow me up for loading a tune on without logging it. Yes he came to my house rushed me I did what he wanted and had to roll. I shouldn't have but I did. I owned up to my mistakes.

But since I no longer have the time, nor the desire. I stopped doing it. After 235 cobalts/ hhrs/ and Sky Soltices. I was done.

Area/ Termi/ BYT/ Panda boy! All have done really well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beware of James Rakes Tunes...