Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Help with ZZP 1.0 ECU

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help with ZZP 1.0 ECU

Hey guys, I have ran into a problem with my build with this darn ZZP ECU.

I pieced together someones project car (2006 SS Balt)
He had just bought a stage 2 kit from zzp before he blew it up. I got everything installed and ready to crank over and the car was giving me "Engine Power Reduced" and "Engine Disabled"
I immediately thought to switch to the stock ECU to see if that was the problem and sure enough it started right up with no codes.

What kind of issue could this be with the ZZP ECU ? The previous owner then told me once i asked if he ever even plugged it in and he said it did exactly what it told me brand new. Just trying to get to the bottom of this so I can drive her, as i do not want to drive it with the stage 2 and no tune.

Thanks Guys ! any help is appreciated.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Did ZZP ever get back to you?
Old 08-22-2017, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
Did ZZP ever get back to you?
Yes, and sort of gave me a crappy answer. For the most part told me that I would need to drive the car up there so they could hook it up. I asked if i could send it back so they could take a look and they said its hard to tell that its the ECU. Even though I said the car runs absolutely fine with the stock ECU.

Said I would need to buy a whole new ECU from them or send it back and they would charge me basically the same amount to "re-tune" the ECU. Or reset it.

They then went on to say they might be able to help if i can tell them every code that the car throws with the ECU plugged in. Which I may be able to do. I could drive it up to my buddies shop, Swap the ECU and scan it. However I don't think that will get me very far.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:19 PM

Received 132 Likes on 109 Posts
Buy hpt and have someone remote tune your stock pcm. The car will run better than it ever will with a zzp canned tune. Just my $0.02.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by double clutch
Buy hpt and have someone remote tune your stock pcm. The car will run better than it ever will with a zzp canned tune. Just my $0.02.
I definitely agree. I am going to do this at some point. I just want to be able to drive it without having to worry about jumping into boost and breaking stuff because the bigger injectors and smaller pulley.

Me and my buddy might be going half on an HPTuner soon, which is nice.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:16 PM
b9k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you didn't, remove the negative AND positive cable from the battery for like 5min
Old 08-23-2017, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a crankcase learn code?
Old 08-23-2017, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by b1gbeast
Do you have a crankcase learn code?
Im not sure. I will double check tomorrow and plug the scan tool into the car while the tune is on it. Just think it's weird then even the guy who bought it 2 years ago told me it said the same thing right out of the box.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by b9k
If you didn't, remove the negative AND positive cable from the battery for like 5min
Didnt try that exactly, however when we plugged everything in. The battery wasn't connected until the very end when we went and tried cranking it over. Still wouldn't explain it saying that right out of the box for the prior owner however.