Tuning For tuning and related discussions

HP tuners help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HP tuners help!

So I decided that its time to tune my car, but I'm fighting the idea of buying my own tune from HP or paying someone to do it.. I do have a friend/mechanic that knows about tuning, he just doesn't have one.. what would you guys recommend, and whats the best place to get the HP tuning kit aside from their website.. its around $400 I believe.

thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
it's going to cost the same no matter where you buy it, unless you get it used.

For the tuning side, what year and model do you have?
Old 03-08-2017, 02:07 PM

I figured it would be the same lol. I have a 08 SS TC
Old 03-08-2017, 02:09 PM

Then you'll be better off going with someone who has experence with the LNF's ECU, it's a GDI system that is torque based and completely different than most older GM ecus. A remote tune would work fine if you buy your own HPtuners
Old 03-08-2017, 03:18 PM

Alright, thanks for the help if I do buy it on the HPtuners site I should list the cobalt credits right?
Old 03-08-2017, 05:07 PM

You'll need 2 credits to unlock a ECU, buying right from hptuners the interface should come with 8 credits. If you plan on only using the hptuners for you car then you can get the standard version, if you want to tune other GM/Dodge/Ford (or any other vehicle on their application page) I would recommend getting the pro version so you can log a wideband. The LNF comes with a wideband so no need for a secondary one.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ECaulk
You'll need 2 credits to unlock a ECU, buying right from hptuners the interface should come with 8 credits. If you plan on only using the hptuners for you car then you can get the standard version, if you want to tune other GM/Dodge/Ford (or any other vehicle on their application page) I would recommend getting the pro version so you can log a wideband. The LNF comes with a wideband so no need for a secondary one.
ECaulk, whats your opinion on the standard vs pro. Is it worth spending the couple hundred dollars more to log wideband OR to stay with the standard and splice the wideband (or whatever peeps do) in to the standard version??

I guess while im asking, is it ok to learn the basics from other engine ECM tunes? What i mean is ive got an E67 and im trying to get the ropes here. I have been looking, and am still continuing, but if you could point me in the right direction itd be much obliged!

I know there is a youtube video by MegaMechatronics which is great! but i need a little bit more dpeth like how to set up histograms, and etc...
Old 03-24-2017, 12:53 PM

If you're just going to tune the LNF don't worry about the pro, as the stock ecu has a wideband not a narrowband sensor. No splicing required, its a readout available. If you're going to want to tune other cars get the pro, because you cannot tune WOT with a narrowband.

Go here to learn, read through the threads multiple times before making adjustments. http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...357-LNF-Guides
Old 03-24-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
For most people going some place and getting a tune is going to be the best. If you are planning on tuning multiple cars or tuning for money then you should buy HPTuners yourself. If you don't know much about tuning then be prepared to do ALOT of reading and research. When I bought my HPTuner I spent about a year doing reading and research before I bought it just to get the basic concept and another year or two playing with it and asking a lot of questions.

If you buy HPTuners I would suggest getting the PRO. It isn't that much more money, it allows you to easily plug in a wideband (if you don't have a car with a wideband already why would you ever tune without one?) and if you ever want to sell it then having the PRO makes it more marketable.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ECaulk
If you're just going to tune the LNF don't worry about the pro, as the stock ecu has a wideband not a narrowband sensor. No splicing required, its a readout available. If you're going to want to tune other cars get the pro, because you cannot tune WOT with a narrowband.

Go here to learn, read through the threads multiple times before making adjustments. http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...357-LNF-Guides
Ive got S/C LE5... can i still pick up pointers through the lnf or lsj guides?

Originally Posted by rnjmur
For most people going some place and getting a tune is going to be the best. If you are planning on tuning multiple cars or tuning for money then you should buy HPTuners yourself. If you don't know much about tuning then be prepared to do ALOT of reading and research. When I bought my HPTuner I spent about a year doing reading and research before I bought it just to get the basic concept and another year or two playing with it and asking a lot of questions.

If you buy HPTuners I would suggest getting the PRO. It isn't that much more money, it allows you to easily plug in a wideband (if you don't have a car with a wideband already why would you ever tune without one?) and if you ever want to sell it then having the PRO makes it more marketable.
Well i do not plan on tuning anybody elses car but my own. Many people recommend i get HPTuners regardless, but i guess everything is subjective. I am just wondering how well people around here (Pittsburgh PA) tune?

Regardless, i am hearing you loud and clear on spending the time to learn. That is what im interested in, knowledge. I am willing to put the time in, but a little direction could go a long way.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-25-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The LE5 and LSJ are completely different beasts from the LNF tuning. The hptuners forums are the best place to go if you want to learn.

One of the most important things to remember when tuning any vehicle is that making a change in one table could have an impact on another table so make sure you know which tables interact with each other and how they do so. Also, especially when first learning, make single small changes then log and review. That will also help you learn how making one change may effect multiple values.